Why become a member? ×

7.25 radius fingerboard - any thoughts on staggered pole pups?

Kevsy71

I have a lovely CIJ 62-75US Jazz but would like to try some different pickups. I've seen some makers (e.g. Lindy Fralin) offer staggered D and A poles that claim more even output across strings for fingerboards with a sharper radius (7.25 in this case); does anyone have any experience of the difference between these and regular flat pole? Many thanks!

Edited by Kevsy71

They should in theory help with more even output. In my experience non staggered poles vs staggered, I'm not sure I've noticed a difference between them once the pu is adjusted. Especially as with most setups the strings don't really follow the neck radius unless all strings are set the same height.

If you play directly over a staggered pole pu, with fingers. They can brush against each other which may or may not be an issue to you. 

• Thanks 1

DiMarzio do make pickups with screw up/down pole pieces. I had a set years ago that I do believe gave a better balanced per string output. Independent manufactures could maybe make you a ‘radius’ pickup. When you look at a Precision bass the pickups always seem to be screwed/angled down more on the outer E and G string to compensate for fingerboard/string radius.

• Thanks 1

Many thanks for your advice - I have the strings following the radius; as it's a J I can't lower the G E ends of the pup without lowering the whole thing. This Lollar J set seems to have lowered G and E poles, but they are the standard set (i.e. for regular radii) - I'll mail and ask about suitability for 7.25"

https://www.thomann.de/gb/lollar_j_bass_4s.htm

I couldn't find on the Lollar website about their pups being radius set. I did find an old Talkbass thread of someone saying Lollar are radius and also that Bartolini are radius but that isn't noticeable under the Bartolini cover.

Maybe Bass Direct or The Bass Gallery have something on it.

jazz-bass-style.jpg.fbed49e4928d269ef9eaf8b5705b330f.jpg

Bass Direct have these on their website as well...Nordstrand NJ4 7.25" Radius. I have yet to use Nordstand but all comments about them are very good.

Nordstrand NJ4 - Single coil 4 string jazz-type bass pickups

This is a vintage single coil J style pickup made with 60’s era correct Heavy Formvar wire and Alnico V magnets. In winding these pickups we use a simulated hand wound pattern that lowers the resonant peak of the pickup resulting in a pleasing yet present high end. These pickups have a very even and full sound with that snap and grind associated with the classic basses of that time. Includes black covers (exposed pole pieces).

This pickup is available with an alternative "70's wind" featuring enamel wire and a more aggressive tone

NJ4 - pair  

NJ4 - single 

NJ4 7.25" Radius for certain Fender Jazz basses

NJ4 70s wind -a more aggressive tone

NJ4 Alnico III - a sweeter more organic tone with great depth and richness great when pushed.

• Thanks 1