Why become a member? ×

To Cull or Not to Cull...

bassatnight

12 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Paul, I'll try to do my best to follow that advice. But as much as I try to tell myself that my new Squier really is just as good (well actually an upgrade and an improvement on) the Fender 1962 P I just sold, as I cry myself to sleep each night... 😄 

Honestly though, ion a blind test nobody can tell the difference between the new Squier and a 60 year old Precision. :)

23 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Paul, I'll try to do my best to follow that advice. But as much as I try to tell myself that my new Squier really is just as good (well actually an upgrade and an improvement on) the Fender 1962 P I just sold, as I cry myself to sleep each night... 😄 

It is an upgrade though, ok, you still only have a fender P bass, but now you have a few grand to spend on something decent!

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

Honestly though, ion a blind test nobody can tell the difference between the new Squier and a 60 year old Precision. :)

If we're doing "honest" now then...truthfully I've actually steered clear of both! 😂

(For complete and open disclosure: I did once have a black Fender Jazz 5er MIM which I bought off a semi pro bassist for £100 when I was a newbie and sold a couple of years later for £400. That definitely felt like an upgrade to me 😀)

I have 19, there's at least 4 I would happily sell but wouldn't get much for them so not really motivated to bother.

I do enjoy the warm fuzzy feeling I get when I walk in my music room, that feeling is very difficult to put a price on.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, discreet said:

And in blind tests, a surprising number of people (bass players included) have no idea what bass is playing, anyway.

The OH (brass player) and I have a fun pastime where, when listening to some jazz, I will ask whether she thinks it's a bass guitar or double bass on this particular track. She will then give the traditional reply of "how am I supposed to know, they sound pretty much the same!" before making the wrong guess. I have, of course, cheated by looking the answer up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

I do enjoy the warm fuzzy feeling I get when I walk in my music room, that feeling is very difficult to put a price on.

This too! One silver lining to moving from a large house to a small flat is that the basses and guitars which used to be squashed into a broom-cupboard "third bedroom" are now pretty much everywhere. The whole place is effectively a music room. Always feels good to come home to 🙂 

• Like 3

I've had about 140 basses over the years, give or take one or two. I did it because I saw something I liked and wanted to try it - on some occasions several times over as I've had several Precisions, Stingrays and Rickenbackers.

It's been a lot of fun. I've had some corkers, some that should have been great but turned out to be terrible despite having 4 figure retail prices and it's been a real blast trying out different basses.

The truth is that if we're talking solid bodied basses, you only really need 1. Not a bass for this and a bass for that. The average person in the crowd couldn't give a monkeys if you are using the right bass for the right song as long as it sounds good so that's it. 1. I've been playing in wedding/function bands for the past 25 years and the right bass was the one I had at the time whether it was a Thunderbird or a Yamaha TRB6 fretless. I remember turning up to a wedding gig with a Warwick Thumb NT5 and a Modulus Flea bass. I played an entire rock gig with a 12 string once as well.

If you play in a band that requires an acoustic, upright, uke etc then that's different but solid bodied basses it's 1.

That being said, if you have the money to buy them & the space to store them then have as many as you want. have 10 precisions in different colours to suit your outfits or one of each of: a Jazz, Precision, Musicman, Rickenbacker, fretless, 5 string, 6 string, 8 string and 12 string to satisfy yourself that you have 1 of everything.

Don't sell them because you feel you have too many unless it's one that you wouldn't miss

• Like 2

I have a pretty modest collection, just 3 basses.  Think in total I've had six pass through my hands; the only one I regret selling was my Warwick GPS Corvette 5.

2 reasons I regret moving it on, firstly I lost a fair bit of money on the sale but the bigger reason is the nostalgia factor - it was the bass I played my first gig with :(.

I've bought the two 4 string PJ basses over the past six months. Although the 5 string Jazz has been my gigging bass since gig 1 I'm now tempted to move it on as I haven't played it since getting the PJs.  Those things are so damn versatile,  I have one strung with rounds and one with flats.  Our set list no longer has lots of different tunings which was the original reason I went for the five so it now seems a bit redundant.

My only concern would be the resale value of a Mayones guitar.  I wouldn't want to lose a ton of cash on another bass sale (perhaps selling it through the Bass Gallery or some where similar is an option, not sure what they take as commission).

IMG_20180903_185655.jpg

Edited by PJ-Bassist