Why become a member? ×

To Cull or Not to Cull...

bassatnight

Hi Chap and Chapesses,

We have all done it, some more than others; but we all get to a stage in our bass playing lives when we suddenly listen to our other halves and realise that perhaps 20 basses is a little too many!?

Some have rules, one in and one out and some say sod it - we can always build an extension to house them! but I find myself looking at my collection (currently 7) and think; I really only play two of them regularly (A Jazz and a P) and the others were even gas buy's or nostalgia. Am I the only one? Has anyone had a cull and regretted it?

Cheers,

Steve.

No... I'm down to one bass and it feels great. Now I can concentrate on my playing and not waste a mountain of time looking at, thinking about, and acquiring bass guitars I don't need. I never had a huge collection anyway (about 5 maximum at one point), but even they distracted me from the business of actually playing. Far too much time spent maintaining, upgrading and setting-up multiple basses, deciding which one was best for what purpose, and on and on. Think carefully about which one you want to keep, get rid of the others, make a bit of money and buy what's-'er-name something nice. :)

Traditionally it's thought that a Jazz and a P will do you for 99% of situations, but you don't even need both. Figure out whether you're really a Jazz or a P man, bite the bullet and do the deed. For myself I'm definitely a P man and have been for years, but in the end I kept the Jazz because it's just a little bit more versatile - in my humble opinion. And in blind tests, a surprising number of people (bass players included) have no idea what bass is playing, anyway. At gigs, it really makes little difference *hides in wardrobe* and in the studio, you can make anything sound like anything else, so... *runs away*

Edited by discreet
  • Like 3

I have only been able to afford a couple of basses at a time.  But I have serially gone through 35+ in 7 years. I now seem to have found out what I want.  I have a P bass bitza (92 Squier neck on Affinity body, Tonerider pup, KiOgon loom) for blues jams, and a 6 string Hohner B Bass VI for everything else.  Remarkably I have been free from GAS for a while. 

But that could be because I now keep buying and then selling saxophones.

Edited by lownote12

Largely agree with discreet. I do make big exceptions for nostalgia though. I sold a bass which I used as my primary bass through uni days, and bought it back a couple of years later when I realised what a mistake I’d made. I don’t even really play it anymore but I can’t see it going anywhere again. Nostalgia can be important.

Years ago I had a bigger collection of both basses and guitars, nowadays it`s only basses, currently 6, of which 5 are US 2012-16 Series Fender Precisions, and a backup Vintage V4 Tony Butler Precision. I`m offloading one of the US ones simply as 5 is too many. I know that 4 is too really, but 2 of them are for gigs then 2 are home use - 1 maple fretboard, 1 rosewood. I`d like a Jazz as I always feel the need for one when I don`t have one, but in real terms it`s something I don`t need but would like. The only bass I have that I don`t use is my Vintage V4 as it`s a backup. Once however it`s been given a new coat of paint it`s going to be my flight-bass, so I don`t have to take an expensive Fender with me on those darn planes.

Edited by Lozz196

I've regrettted every bass I've sold and every bass I will sell.

There was one bass I never regretted moving on, but I gave that away for free with the suggestion it should be used as firewood.

Edited by Shambo
  • Haha 3

I'm in a similar position - 11 basses, 5 rigs - however I don't own many "typical" basses. The others have individual characters and tonal qualities you don't get from a P bass.

I'd like to downsize my collection but I  don't think now is that time....it's still a buyers market...we see really nice equipment sitting unsold in the market place here...most of this only sells if it's below, what I would consider, a fair market price.

I'm not selling up just yet..

If you have more gear than you can use on one gig then you have too much gear.

Keep the bass you've played the most in the last year and sell everything else. Never regret selling what you don't need.

With the money buy a better bass than the one you kept, which now becomes your backup.

From this point on, your sound is good, so just think about your playing and technique.

Do you do bv's? Focus half your time on that.

I'm a little scared to write I still think I have a few more than I need.

I only use one or 2 max with the bands so really don't NEED the others,  but I do enjoy having them and they are always out on the stands at home to use.

I think 4 would do it for me :)  a fretless, P bass, my Wal and the (gassing for) Jaydee :)

Each to their own I guess.

I’ve been through this process this year and it continues. Although my collection was only at 7 (tiny in comparison to some) I have been through 20 or more to get down to 3. I’ve kept a Fender Jazz, Shuker custom and a modulus Flea, all for different reasons, I only really gig 2 of those 3. I’ve sold 3, with 1 pending, sold my pedals and some cabs and I’ve decided to get a custom built Status with the proceeds. I only have the one bass that I regret trading and I’m hopeful I will get it back someday as I know exactly who has it...😃

If you are in a position to keep them....keep them... 

Edited by bassfan
  • Like 1

I'm down to six.  I could lose two of those (one's up on the For Sale section), I've got an Epiphone Thunderbird that the original owner sprayed yellow, that's covered in stickers.  I don't use it at all.  That could go. 

Never have any regrets, but always think fondly of what you've owned.  Always see every new bass purchase as an upgrade or improvement of past instruments.

[Cheeky edit: the Thunderbird is now up on the For Sale section as well.]

Edited by NancyJohnson
  • Like 1

I've had 30+ in the past but I'm really cutting it back to a custom "Pingray" fiver, old jazz a fretless & my upright. I think they will cover 99.9% of anything I'd have to cover. I do have regrets selling a few but I suppose that's life 😔

1 minute ago, NancyJohnson said:

Never have any regrets, but always think fondly of what you've owned.  Always see every new bass purchase as an upgrade or improvement of past instruments.

Paul, I'll try to do my best to follow that advice. But as much as I try to tell myself that my new Squier really is just as good (well actually an upgrade and an improvement on) the Fender 1962 P I just sold, as I cry myself to sleep each night... 😄 

54 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

... I don't think now is that time....it's still a buyers market...we see really nice equipment sitting unsold in the market place here...most of this only sells if it's below, what I would consider, a fair market price.

Completely agree.   

I'm taking two to the Manchester Guitar Show next Sunday (taking my son shopping for an upgrade replacement for his MIM Strat, honest 🙂 ) in case there's a chance of selling them there - luckily I don't desperately need need the money or space and I don't have to give a *&^% what anyone else thinks, but if someone walks up and offers me what I paid for these two I'll be happy. That leaves two acoustics and five electrics, all of which I love, and play, and also wouldn't be able sell for anything like what they're worth to me. I actually feel guilty about how little I paid for a couple of them, but I tried to talk the seller up and he refused. 

• Like 1