Why become a member? ×

SOLD Mesa Boogie prodigy Four:88 10th Dec down to £1000
£1400

Paul S

Not much to say, really - this is the absolute lightest all valve head on the market by one of the most iconic manufacturers.  Now discontinued.  Specs here

http://www.mesaboogie.com/amplifiers/bass/prodigy--strategy-tube-bass-amp-series/bass-prodigy-four-88/index.html

250 tube watts, switchable to 125W, just over 13kg in weight and 41cm wide.  3 x 12AX7 preamp tubes and 4 x KT-88 power stage tubes.  Nice blue lights!

Manufacturers demo video here:

I bought this on here about 18 months ago -ish from Obbm of this parish.  He had owned it for a while but barely used it.  First gig I used it for one of the valves blew and took out some of the pcb.  I had it repaired at a proper amp repairers and the bill came to around £250 as I recall - the invoice will be in the box.  Since then I have used it maybe half a dozen times.

So it is in extremely good condition.  I hesitate to say 'as new' because of the repair but, actually, it is as new as I can't find anything wrong with it.  It would come with the soft cover, kettle lead and speaker cable (one of those obbm lorry towing cables).  Manual and original packaging plus some spare fuses.

Cheapest I can find new is £2346 clicky

I could take some pictures if necessary but all they will prove is that I do actually own it - no damage or marks to highlight - and there are loads of stock pics on the internet.

I would be looking for £1400 as of 4th Nov down to £1200,  10th December to just £1000   which is a decent HUGE bit less than I paid for it, especially when you factor in the repair.  Not looking for trades, I am afraid, as I am trying to free up some cash for something.  And I already have far too many amps!

Selling because, despite being the lightest tube head out there, I still find it a bit much to manoeuvre about.  In fact I hurt my back a little bit putting it back in boot after last night's gig.  

I *REALLY* don't want to courier this, so collection from Benfleet in Essex, SS7 or meet half way.  Could possibly deliver for fuel costs within 50 miles.  Ideally come along and give it a try out.

I thank you!

Edited by Paul S
  • Like 2

I might be interested in a trade with a nice EUB, such as an NS design 5 string, with cash adjustment depending upon what was offered - as that is what I am trying to free cash for...

Changed my mind, straight sale only.

Edited by Paul S

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A few pics, just to prove i do in fact own this.  I keep it in a Stanley FatMax toolbox that does a decent job of protecting it from bumps with room either side to store the kettle lead and speaker lead.  I can stand on it and not fear for the amps safety.   This will be included in the sale.  Fully loaded this weighs in at around 17kg, which is just too heavy for me.

mb1.jpg

mb2.jpg

mb3.jpg

mb4.jpg

mb5.jpg

mb6.jpg

mb7.jpg

mb8.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had a message today (thanks Chris!) suggesting I flesh out the detail of the repair as, understandably, folks are going to be nervous spending a grand on something that has a previous fault.  Symptoms were: I followed the usual cold-start procedure - switched on the power with the stand-by 'off', left it like that for 5 mins or so then turned 'on' stand-by - this was accompanied by a smell of burning and smoke!  Turned off, unplugged, used back up. 

I took it to Electronic Music Services in Southend who are pretty much the 'go-to' industry standard amp techs in southeast Essex.  Below is a scan of their report/invoice, which shows they were pretty thorough.  I've used it maybe half a dozen times since then but find the whole thing too heavy to manoeuvre around.

Hope this goes some way to instill confidence that this was sorted out correctly by people who know what they are doing.

MBP488.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had one of these once. I bought it at the original RRP - which I think was about £2400!

It was one of the finest sounding amps I have ever played. Then I joined a mostly woodwind band and the band leader wouldn't tolerate fan noise of any kind. He wanted silence when the sheet music said silence!

I did think about getting a tech to swap the fan for a super quiet model but it was still in warranty at the time and I didn't want to risk it.

I ended up trading it in at Bass Gear for a Demeter head (no fan) instead. The Demeter was very good indeed, but couldn't match the Mesa.

I run one of these with a Barfaced Supertwin and the result is tonal nirvana and stupend ous volume. And i have tried a lot of stuff to find that. Silly price new but for a grand ........sell the kids if you have too.

• Thanks 1