Why become a member? ×

I'm gonna be in so much trouble at rehearsal

AdrianP

Just now, Maude said:

I've not been in any of your average gig pubs where that would go down well. 

Me neither.

Instrumental bands have to search around and sometimes they chose numbers based on hope or maybe just desperation. I was in one a long time ago, with good guys and good players, but thankfully it never got out of the rehearsal room. We played Cause We've Ended As Lovers amongst a lot of other old tat, including a rocked up version of Apache!

27 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

It's a Charles Mingus tune, if you're band leader is suggesting the soulless Jeff Beck version then he needs his head reading. Here you go, learn this one instead:

I didn't listen to the jeff beck version as I am not a fan, but i listened to a few minutes of that and if it is worse than that there should probably be a law against it! :D

3 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I didn't listen to the jeff beck version as I am not a fan, but i listened to a few minutes of that and if it is worse than that there should probably be a law against it! :D

Imagine the Joni version (which I like) but replace the tasteful phrasing, relaxed feel and bass/vocal interplay with low rent jazz guitar meandering that sounds like it's a series of exercises from a beginners' guitar book. 

11 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

Imagine the Joni version (which I like) but replace the tasteful phrasing, relaxed feel and bass/vocal interplay with low rent jazz guitar meandering that sounds like it's a series of exercises from a beginners' guitar book. 

My imagination is obviously lacking to be able to hear tasteful phrasing or to feel relaxed when I heard it so I will just have to take your word for it!

58 minutes ago, Sibob said:

I don’t even know where you live and I can tell you that he’s mistaken lol

Si

Well I do know where I live and I am starting to come around to your way of thinking! To be honest,  we've done three paying gigs and the audience response has not been extatic. And we've had no rebookings either. Maybe a time to think about why we're doing this. If it's just for the guitarist/BL to show off his undoubted talent, maybe it's time to think again. 

1 hour ago, kyuuga said:

Because honestly a cover band whose bandleader alone chooses to play a random Jeff Beck song isn't probably very serious about its work and isn't drawing a large crowd. I have no problem against the artist or the song itself but unless it's a tribute band I don't see how that tune would draw people to the crowd. And I was right.

Playing with friends is always fun, you just need to figure out if it's worth it or not for you. I'd hardly believe that an all-instrumental cover band is going to have a place in the local market unless your members are very well known and have a huge following. 

It's not uncommon (nowadays it's actually very common) for musicians to be in cover bands to make a few bucks on the side. But they normally do it for the money and they play well known songs that get people dancing and enjoying themselves to get a decent paycheck. If I want to just play random songs for the fun of it I'll either jam on my bedroom or get together with a couple of friends to do it. To each his own, you just need to think about what you want to do with your time.

Our guitarist plays in our band as an enjoyable break from the "day job" as a non-original member of a touring band. He says he has far more fun playing a wide variety of stuff in our covers band. The extra cash is handy too.

There are a lot of interesting instrumentals without having to resort to obscure album track dirges. Everything we play has been in the charts at one time or another. Some may be slightly less well known, but are ones where we all get to show off a bit e.g. Edgar Winter's Frankenstein. The key is that we enjoy playing them AND they go down well with the crowd.

1 hour ago, Sibob said:

I don’t even know where you live and I can tell you that he’s mistaken lol

Si

Well I do know where I live and I am starting to come around to your way of thinking! To be honest,  we've done three paying gigs and the audience response has not been extatic. And we've had no rebookings either. Maybe a time to think about why we're doing this. If it's just for the guitarist/BL to show 

12 minutes ago, AdrianP said:

Yes, I can't listen to it long enough to even care!

I'd have to work it out and play it - even if I didn't like it - because I hate it when people turn up to rehearsal having not learned the material. But that's the only reason, to retain my personal 'reputation', such as it is. Doesn't mean I like the song or would want to play it - it's just my way of at least seeming to be 'professional'. You don't have to be in a pro band to have a pro attitude. But if and when you DO join a pro band, you're already in the game...

Edited by discreet
  • Like 3

Just now, discreet said:

I'd have to work it out and play it - even if I didn't like it - because I hate it when people turn up to rehearsal having not learned the material.

Yep. If you don't want to play a number, try to get it shelved before anyone else has put in the time to learn it.

If you just turn up, make a mess of it and just shrug your shoulders saying you never likes it anyway, you'll have upset everyone.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, arthurhenry said:

In terms of listening enjoyment; of course. In terms of learning something new and possibly improving your musicianship, it's well worth a listen.

From the  technical point of view as a bass player, this is quite true, but as a piece of music to be played to a non-concert audience, it has, I believe, little appeal. Good for study, but a guaranteed party-pooper, except in a (very...) few 'beatnik' circles (and even then...).