Why become a member? ×

Dingwall Advice

redbandit599

Hi all

I'm fancying a Dingwall - it'll be either a Combustion or an NG, just can't justify a Canadian version.

So, I understand the different PUP and Pre-amp configurations but I just wondered if anyone has experience of them and can comment on how they differ tonally?

My gut feel is a two pick up Combustion is probably for me - but be good to hear any first hand input on the differences/benefits of the different versions.

Cheers

Jason

Edited by redbandit599

As a NG3 owner I would say an NG2 would suffice for me. As the 3rd pickup is only usable in one position along with the other 2 at the same time. If I could use it alone as well as in combination with the bridge pickup it'd be far more useful. 

It's really a case of deciding between Combustion and NG as do you want a Stingray sound available.

• Like 1

A combustio has the NG2 route so you could shift one pick up across into the NG2 config (but you'd need a new scratch plate to accommodate the shift). Not played an NG3 so can't comment. The Combustion5 I played had a wonderful neck profile for a 5'er!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

What sort of a sound is it you are after?

Thanks all - I play in a (pretty punchy) rock and pop covers band and currently use my Sandberg California which has a J/MM configuration - the MM can be split so the bass also operates as J/J. It is massively flexible tone wise. I like that flexibility and do use it 🙂 - consequently I'm not wedded to one particular sound, as long as it's tight and has 'authority' - I like to be able to drive my sound harder just by digging in finger style (though I use plenty of pedals too!)

2 hours ago, Machines said:

As a NG3 owner I would say an NG2 would suffice for me. As the 3rd pickup is only usable in one position along with the other 2 at the same time. If I could use it alone as well as in combination with the bridge pickup it'd be far more useful. 

It's really a case of deciding between Combustion and NG as do you want a Stingray sound available.

That's what I was thinking - hence favouring the Combustion with 2 pick ups. So I can solo the neck, or use both on. Does the third pick up add much really with all three on?

I did like the grindy tone of the NG3 that I tried (only Dingwall in the shop) but I also felt that third pick up was a bit redundant in that. Would I like a Stingray sound? It's a great sound but it's not a deal breaker - I suppose if it was 3 pick up version I imagine I'd want Neck/Neck and Bridge/Middle and Bridge as the options -which isn't standard.

I think the guy who road tested the D Bird played in a very melodic heavy band and he rewired the bass to be the most usable in all positions electronics wise. The bass was initially set up differently but I can't remember exactly what.... it'll be on the net somewhere - maybe that last namm show premier guitar interview?

On 14/10/2018 at 18:33, redbandit599 said:

That's what I was thinking - hence favouring the Combustion with 2 pick ups. So I can solo the neck, or use both on. Does the third pick up add much really with all three on?

I wouldn't miss the 'all on' mode to be honest. It's a bit overpowering on the bottom end and not as defined as the other positions.

I reckon the middle pickup would be nice as a ramp - but having never played one I don't know if my hand would naturally fall there either. I think the three pickup aesthetic suits the high tech/futuristic look of the bass though. 

5 minutes ago, ped said:

I reckon the middle pickup would be nice as a ramp - but having never played one I don't know if my hand would naturally fall there either. I think the three pickup aesthetic suits the high tech/futuristic look of the bass though. 

Yeah, it works for me visually. If they can sort the switching to be on/off per pickup it'd be perfect. That said the middle pickup on it's own sounds superb.

• Like 1

On 14/10/2018 at 17:07, Machines said:

There is a different switch available, maybe thats more for you:

dingwall.png.555d710eb9db77717efaae9bf698c4e7.png

I have a mopar purple NG-2, and have experimented with the pickup configurations a lot... as you might know all the recent Combustion and NG models have all three pickup cavitys routed already, so it was easy to switch positions.

After all the testing, my ideal NG-3 switching would look like this - if limited to four positions..:

middle/bridge in series

middle only

bridge/neck in parallel

d-bird type all three

Neck only sounds worse imo to the middle only. Comparable character, just less tone and definition to it. It has a bit more low oomph.

neck/bridge in parallel sounds absolutely cool. Mind that the Combustion and NG models have different preamps. I like the gritty Tone Capsule a lot.

• Like 2

On 18/10/2018 at 09:51, djaxup said:

There is a different switch available, maybe thats more for you:

Neck only sounds worse imo to the middle only. Comparable character, just less tone and definition to it. It has a bit more low oomph.

neck/bridge in parallel sounds absolutely cool. Mind that the Combustion and NG models have different preamps. I like the gritty Tone Capsule a lot.

Trying to be clever, i attempted to swap the middle and neck pickups over, achieving this in part. Alas the middle pickup cable was too short.