Why become a member? ×

Victor Jamming on a Sire

BassApprentice

I watched that a couple of days ago... and remember thinking how uninspiring the bass sounded. I get it, they're "affordable" basses, I'm all for that, but it was noticeable as they all took turns to solo... when it came to Vic... it was a bit meh sounding. Could have been for a bunch of reasons, but still.... 

51 minutes ago, Rayman said:

I watched that a couple of days ago... and remember thinking how uninspiring the bass sounded. I get it, they're "affordable" basses, I'm all for that, but it was noticeable as they all took turns to solo... when it came to Vic... it was a bit meh sounding. Could have been for a bunch of reasons, but still.... 

His sound doesn’t do it for me...

but Sire basses are so far in advance of the stuff we had in the 90s it’s unreal. 

• Like 1

These Studio Jam videos are great. They are a warts and all performances with the best players in the world just jamming. You don't have to like it, but I generally do. Even the ones I don't like I can appreciate the talent on display.

Wooten is one fantastic player, but as with the all these "super slappers", IMO they sound much better when they switch to finger style.

Locally I've heard a few guys sounding good on Sire basses, but the bottom line is, if you are a good player you'll sound good on anything.

5 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

His sound doesn’t do it for me...

but Sire basses are so far in advance of the stuff we had in the 90s it’s unreal. 

Oh blimey yes. I started on a Columbus Jazz in the late 70s, so Sire basses would have been a bloody godsend. I think they're good solid guitars, for the money.

Edited by Rayman

As a former professional photographer, I'll always remember what one of our teachers said to a student complaining about his "cheap" camera : "There is no bad camera, there are only bad photographers."

That said, the more I listen to Victor Wooten, the more I hate slap. And he can be a damn good bass player, ... finger style.

Were they recording some elevator music ? So boring and uninspired. And he is explaining the slaughter at the end, funny. 😱

1 hour ago, Rayman said:

Oh blimey yes. I started on a Columbus Jazz in the late 70s, so Sire basses would have been a bloody godsend. I think they're good solid guitars, for the money.

I did too! Got it from Surbiton. 

Edited by aDx

1 hour ago, Rayman said:

David Bailey (photographer) once said if you can't take a decent picture on a Kodak disposable camera, you can't take one with a Leica SLR either. 

Same with anything, the magic's in the fingers.

That's what my wife says!  Lol. 

1 hour ago, Hellzero said:

That said, the more I listen to Victor Wooten, the more I hate slap. And he can be a damn good bass player, ... finger style.

Much the same for Mark King. Obvs he's best known for his slap, but what seems to get overlooked is that his fingerstyle playing is quite breathtaking. 

• Like 2