Why become a member? ×

MM SR4 Trans Bridge

Me And My Bass

That's not a trans bridge, it's a desirable Flea bridge. 

The strings run straight across from the back of the bridge past the saddle slots then the bridge is mounted a few mm to the side to compensate, if you look where the Allen screws are blanking the mute kit holes you can see they are not under the strings. 

It might still work but the mute pads might miss the strings, certainly won't be centred. 

There are a lot of basses out there claiming to have a flea bridge but most of them just have the blanking screws but still have the angled string back to the back plate. 

If you look at your picture you can see the bridge is mounted off set to the pickup towards the control plate. 

Edited by stingrayPete1977

11 hours ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

That's not a trans bridge, it's a desirable Flea bridge. 

The strings run straight across from the back of the bridge past the saddle slots then the bridge is mounted a few mm to the side to compensate, if you look where the Allen screws are blanking the mute kit holes you can see they are not under the strings. 

It might still work but the mute pads might miss the strings, certainly won't be centred. 

There are a lot of basses out there claiming to have a flea bridge but most of them just have the blanking screws but still have the angled string back to the back plate. 

If you look at your picture you can see the bridge is mounted off set to the pickup towards the control plate. 

Thanks man, I don’t think I will mess around with it. 

I will experiment with some foam mute etc 

The earlier version of the Flea bridge does have the mutes fitted - my Fretless has it and mutes. I think the later bridge (up to 96 when the shorter bridge was introduced) was the same with the mute plate and screws deleted and the hex bolts placed in the holes - so the kit ought to fit. 

Then it's not a Flea bridge drT, look where the strings are in relation to the holes where the blanking screws are on the OPs pictures. You can see the bridge is set closer the control plate to compensate.  

Both the trans bridge and flea bridge ran concurrently and a mute kit could be purchased to fit a trans bridge, NOT TO BE USED ON A FLEA BRIDGE, the mute pads would miss the strings. 

musicmanbass.org/mycustompage0061.htm

Gav's site is hit and miss at the moment but its all explained here, there is no "earlier version"  with mutes, if you've got mutes you've got a trans bridge. 

Edited by stingrayPete1977

Fretless 93 as built. Note offset thumb screws and mutes. Note photograph angles can be deceiving. I'd say the OP bridge is the same but less the mute kit and plus the hex bolts.

Apparently the mutes were deleted owing to potential injury to users - presumably the same heavy handed bu**ers who complained about pulling the strings off the saddles 😂

image.thumb.jpeg.475dce858511f767172098ad61c87703.jpeg

1 hour ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

I wonder if the fretless got mutes as standard? 

It looks like the Flea and trans bridge backplate are the same so the mute kit will fit. 

I never use mine though, lol. 

They all got them till late 94 I think. I've got a 93 fretted with mutes as well (it's basically like the Fretless). 

image.thumb.jpeg.2bcc610052c3c8ce60cf4e2bfd43cc21.jpeg

In terms of using them, I have from time to time - my Classic recorded great with them turned on - very very thumpy (with roundwounds) 

The other thing is they work well just slightly engaged - I've sometimes used them like that on the Fretless. I've used pieces of foam rubber but to be honest the proper mute design is better and offers more flexibility - I've even turned them on live for specific songs. 

The mute design was lifted by MM from the original Fender Mustang back in 1976.  

Edited by drTStingray

Yes, the Flea bridge is the same layout as the current Classic series bridge, and the mute kit fits.

The mute kit will come with the thumbscrews. you simply ditch the allen head screws they put in to fill the holes. It is much easier to loosen the bridge to slide in the mute plate so you don't scratch up the finish trying to slide in position.