Why become a member? ×

Nylon Flatwounds on a P Bass

Cicero

Installed some on mine a few days back. I like the tone, although it may turn out to be a bit too mellow. No biggie, though.

However, the strings generally seem a bit more difficult to intonate and I'm getting a lot of rattle also.

Any tips on how to set these up properly? My knowledge of setting up basses is non-existent, so please bear with me 🤔

Danke.

Edited by Cicero

I've done some minor saddle adjustments, which seems to have helped, but the E String still seems to be struggling. It has a very indistinct sound to it, to the point  where it's not always clear what note is sounding out, if that makes sense.

The actual string itself does look too big for the space in the nut, so I think that too will no doubt be part of the problem.

Tapes on a P-bass ???

My favourite combo ever since I bought a set of Rotos for £5. OK it was 83 but I was stony broke 😁

If you've also bought Rotos the E is .115.pretty sure it is. There's a school of thought says the nylon will contract over time into the nut slot. Never happened with me,I filed the slot.

Another thing I remember about Rotos is they have serious "thump". The thump is more pronounced than the note and takes a bit getting your ear used to it.

Could be part of your trouble.

La Bellas and the sadly discontinued Status tapes come in standard gauges,also have more notes than thumps 😎

I'd order up another nut if  any cutting is on the cards. If you go back to roundwound just put the original nut back on 👍