Why become a member? ×

End of an Era

Telebass

On New Year's Eve 2018, my band, The Rock 'n' Roll Outlaws will play its final gig. Our founder and guitarist/vocalist is leaving for a better life in Oz, and with a young family, what a good idea that is.

For me, it will mean the end of playing any rock, in an effort to preserve what's left of my hearing. I do have other things on the cards, but much quieter. To that end, the faithful Markbass rig is planned to be replace with a Trace Elliot Elf or similar, and a Barefaced 110. I might even downsize the car...

It's timely anyhow. I'm likely to have a reverse shoulder replacement in the first part of the year, due to the irreparable damge from the cycling accident. So lightweight is now a medical must as well as a convenience.

So, new year, new...everything!

:D

• Like 4

On 13/10/2018 at 08:44, Telebass said:

It will be a (hopefully) sold-out night at the Wharf here in Tavistock, so we should go out on a big high!

Wow, never expected to see my home town mentioned here on Basschat.  I moved away a long time ago but my parents still live there - chances are I might visit them at New Year's, might see if I can score a ticket and come to the show!

• Like 1

On 16/10/2018 at 21:28, PJ-Bassist said:

Wow, never expected to see my home town mentioned here on Basschat.  I moved away a long time ago but my parents still live there - chances are I might visit them at New Year's, might see if I can score a ticket and come to the show!

You won't regret it, if you like your classic rock you'll love it. I used to go and see them many years ago before my Basschat days :)

BTW, your singer will be back @Telebass, a ginger can't last song in the Australian sun :D. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/10/2018 at 22:26, Maude said:

You won't regret it, if you like your classic rock you'll love it. I used to go and see them many years ago before my Basschat days :)

BTW, your singer will be back @Telebass, a ginger can't last song in the Australian sun :D. 

He's been before, and knows the drill!

😀

Edited by Telebass
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...
35 minutes ago, Telebass said:

Surgery done, very awkward typing this one-handed with my left hand. Now just the joy of waiting for the nerve block to wear off.. 

I had shoulder surgery a few years back - the worst thing about it was the nerve block... especially as mine took forever to wear off.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On ‎20‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 22:15, Telebass said:

Surgery done, very awkward typing this one-handed with my left hand. Now just the joy of waiting for the nerve block to wear off.. 

Did you mention on the SWBB thread something about it having gone wrong..? :( 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 27/03/2019 at 19:21, Rich said:

Did you mention on the SWBB thread something about it having gone wrong..? :( 

Oh yeah, did it ever...not the mechanics of it, but the surgery, as in major primary infection. Two further ops to clean it out. 3 weeks total in-patient time. Will be taking heavy oral antibiotics until September.

The shoulder is doing well otherwise, althoigh playing bass still makes it sore and tired after an hour or so...

How's the wrist doing?

• Sad 1

Ooh bugger. :( hope it gets fully sorted soon and the antibios do their job.

My wrist is going well ta, had a 2 hour ska rehearsal the other night which was mostly good, although octave riffs are still painful. I paid for it next day, mind :(

3 minutes ago, Rich said:

Ooh bugger. :( hope it gets fully sorted soon and the antibios do their job.

My wrist is going well ta, had a 2 hour ska rehearsal the other night which was mostly good, although octave riffs are still painful. I paid for it next day, mind :(

That's similar to my experience. Had one 2.5 hour session so far, and it hurt some the next day. The big problem comes if the drugs don't fully eliminate the bugs. Then they have to take the joint out, throw it away, put in a plastic, antibiotic-impregnated 'spacer' for up to 3 months, then put a new joint in. I'm being religious with the drugs... :(

Edited by Telebass