Why become a member? ×

how much do you love your bass and setup?

Guest aDx

Did a rehearsal last night with new band to audition drummer, only 2nd time playing together and first for drummer

and... I absolutely LOVE my bass and cabs!!  

Cort active junior and Markbass cdp121 + cab = Gorgeous!!  and the range of sounds is soooo versatile!

An it has a lovely 'growl' to it!! 

VERY happy boy!! 

i am gonna sell my other 2 basses to get another Cort ....  I think this is love!  lol

I find equipment acceptability exists on a kind of curve. Nodal points are "It's new, it's brilliant", "It's nearly new, it does the job", "It does the job but I don't like this", "sell it!". 

Most equipment I have owned goes through that cycle with very few exceptions. Although I don't play it much now as I mostly play 5 strings, my 4 string StingRay is definitely a keeper. After ten years it's still great to pick up and play. My Barefaced cab has also been around for lots of years and I think is the same. 

About a year ago I sold my soul for a Lakland USA 5 string Jazz stylee (after saying for years that having two volume knobs was an utterly ridiculous idea) and love it. I suspect it's another keeper but it's too early yet. 

Edited by thepurpleblob
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, thepurpleblob said:

I find equipment acceptability exists on a kind of curve. Nodal points are "It's new, it's brilliant", "It's nearly new, it does the job", "It does the job but I don't like this", "sell it!". 

Very true

I've lost track of the number of times that I've found the 'one'

My gigging rig is currently a DG M900 head and a pair of Barefaced One10s with a compressor.

Using my much modified Stingray PJ-Ray.

And I'm playing big band / jazz / swing.

It sounds superb. Sits in the mix under the 'bones and gives a really thick bottom to it all.

Rehearsals are from 9.30am on a Saturday morning and I actually get up early to make sure everything is spot on. I love it!

Two of my Thunderbirds are like a part of me. I define myself by them, almost. :) The rest are like cousins that you like, but only have a proper conversation with every so often.

The Trace rig I used for 25 years was an accepted part of the family - I knew exactly what it could do and how it would behave. But it got too heavy, and has recently been replaced with Markbass. I'm still getting to know it - haven't played in enough different rooms to know what and how to tweak yet. It's on probation.

• Like 1

I'm happy with my basses, Fender Jazz AVRI 75, Fender CIJ 66 Jazz, Fender Mike Dirnt Precision, Musicman Stingray 2EQ and Kala Rumber UBass. I love my Fender Precision 70 FSR but I've not been able to get the sound I want from it yet but I think its more my rig than the bass.

As for my rig, a MarkBass LMIII and 2 x NY112 cabs, I am not sure. I mean its ok, does a great job but doesn't blow me away and lacks dynamics. I think the head is fine but its the speakers that are letting me down so I am going to change these over, just not sure what for yet.

• Like 2

I've basses for sale but the only ones I'll be keeping are my two Corts, a B4FL OPN and a GB74 . I've tried out many more expensive basses in my time but wouldn't swap any of them for my Corts. I've had a 50W Marshall keyboard amp for 25 years - which also doubles up for my guitar - and that still does me just fine.

4 hours ago, MoJo said:

Lots

I have a small, almost maidenly, Carvin 250 Microbass head and a Schroeder 12 and Schroeder 2x10. Our trio has no drummer, but we often play larger halls, and the Carvin does the job with either cab (they're both 4-ohm) without straining. The Schroeders defy description, so I won't try. Very happy (lots) with all.

Now, if only I had that Tonehammer 500 . . . . . . .

I was gigging my Gibson ES-335 Bass for most of the summer. Now I'm playing my Gibson Gold Top ( block neck) which has been really nice, cool looking and fun to play.

Amp, 750 watt GK 1001 head through 2 10s.

The Gold Top actually seems to like my pedals, especially my MRX M-80 Bass Distortion which is tricky to use.

Hmmmmm, I guess I had already commented on this thread and there's a contradiction. I am enjoying the Gold Top.

Blue

IMG_20170630_213231021.jpg

Edited by Bluewine

Loving my new amp setup... It's lots of fx (3 envelope filters, a bass whammy, Darkglass b3k and Boss bass synth blended in a wounded paw blender) through BBE pre with extra DBX compression on the fx loop all amplified by a bridged Crown xls1502 into precision devices 1x15 enormo-cab and Markbass 102.

There's almost no hum, even on full volume! And it's stupidly loud,  which means masses of headroom as well as being as clean as I want it. It's currently on Lemmy-plays-Bootsy tone...

20181011_154728_Film1.jpg

• Like 1

I love my set-up, it`s pretty simple but I don`t really play smart music so that fits fine, it be:

US Fender Precision with Custom Shop 60s Pickups, Warwick 45 - 105 Red Label steel rounds, Tech21 Para Driver, Ashdown ABM 600 EVO-IV, Ashdown ABM 410 EVO-IV. I`ve even chosen Dunlop triangle tortex picks of 1mm to match the blue on the Ashdowns.

The above gives me all the power I need, and a solidity to the tone on larger stages that I`ve found missing with smaller Class D amps. As all my gigs go FOH, and this from the eq on my Para Driver , having a solid sound on stage isn`t really that necessary but it`s nice to have it and the combination of the clinical Para Driver and the warmth of the ABM is just right for on-stage sounds.

And I simply wouldn`t be without a Precision, I`ve had many, MIM, US, CIJ/MIJ, Korean Squiers, bucket-loads but the 2012-16 US Series are the ones for me, they`re simply the best ones for my needs 

I love my setup and this is the longest that I have kept the same combination of bass, amp and cab in years. There's always been something coming or going over the years that it's nice to be able to set up my gear and just enjoy playing instead of thinking about what I could get next.

The Rickenbacker was just for the hell of it 😀 I'll be gigging it in 2 weeks at a corporate gig. Tube ampology bezel in place of the cover and obligatory D'addario EXL165 strings fitted