Why become a member? ×

Do I Really NEED a Helix?????

Skybone

I know, first world problems and all that...

Backstory so far:

I'm selling a guitar valve amp, I've found a buyer, agreed a price etc., and I'm meeting up with them tomorrow todo the deal.

Some of the funds are going to go towards a Rumble 500, but I've been looking at the Helix LT as well.

I don't need the Helix, I'm more than happy with my HD500x, but GAS has struck and I'm sorely tempted by the LT.

So...

Talk me out of it / talk me into it...

Try before you buy. Helix Native  runs on PC and Mac and has a free trial. All you need is an audio interface, and you can probably use your existing POD as a clean audio interface. Give it a go and see if you think it's worth the extra!

Edited by dannybuoy

1 minute ago, redbandit599 said:

I hope I'm not breaking any rules - but if you decide you do want one my guitarist Matt, is selling one at the moment. It's up on FB marketplace - but I can connect you if required 🙂

Seems your guitarist clearly doesn't need a Helix then? 😄 

Helix is amazing.

The biggest problem with the trying out process is that 99% of shop people don't know how to show you how it works properly.

Join the big Helix group on facebook - lots of questions will already be answered there and you might find someone with one close to you who might let you have a play

https://www.facebook.com/groups/line6helixusergroup/

35 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Helix is amazing.

The biggest problem with the trying out process is that 99% of shop people don't know how to show you how it works properly.

Join the big Helix group on facebook - lots of questions will already be answered there and you might find someone with one close to you who might let you have a play

https://www.facebook.com/groups/line6helixusergroup/

Quite. It was a relaly big help for me that one guy in PMT Newcastle is a bass player who gigs with a Helix, he was very informative and very useful. The facebook groups and such are brilliant but not a patch on a hands-on walkthrough from an expert. And PMT felt the benefit of a sale, so they're winners too.

Edited by Jack

On 12/10/2018 at 08:07, Al Krow said:

No.

Wrong, dude. People want what they want and that's that.

At the SE bash I forget who had the full beans floor version, but when asked how much they used it the reply was "3 patches." Me being me I then said "Good thing it only cost £1300." 

However, all sarcasm aside it's great kit. If I was in the market for a new multi fx it'd be the way I'd go.

12 minutes ago, Wolverinebass said:

At the SE bash I forget who had the full beans floor version, but when asked how much they used it the reply was "3 patches." Me being me I then said "Good thing it only cost £1300." 

However, all sarcasm aside it's great kit. If I was in the market for a new multi fx it'd be the way I'd go.

Mate (and owner of most marvellous bass collection, have you still got your Ric btw?) if he'd asked the question "could I possibly WANT a Helix?" I'd have said "yes" , of course I would. However "Really NEED"?!

But I guess if we follow Maslow, there is possibly a line of argument that a Helix LT in some form or shape could provide the OP with self-actualisation, in which case yup I stand corrected.

With ref to the SE bass bash, I personally can't think of anything more indulgent than getting a Helix LT for just three patches when there are starving bass players who are having to make do and mend with a used Zoom B1on.

Now sarcasm aside... 😂

I have a full fat floor version.

It has never been gigged. Does that tell you something? Well, no, actually..

It gets used every day. It’s under my desk and is my primary practise tool. It’s my audio interface, mic interface, it gets used for guitar and mandolin as well as bass, and it lets me try a load of different bass sounds on tracks so I can work out what I like/don’t like.

It’s probably my most used bit of kit, but not as a live tool.

Last night I played yet another weekend gig. Turned up with my pair of basses, my case full of leads and my LT. My In-Ears and a little Ultranet 'mixer' completed my set up. After a 3 hour gig, putting that little lot back in the car was rather nice weaving through the danced-out drunkards.

I keep threatening to just turn up to gigs with a mini pedal board and a DI box.. but I've been reaching for LT every time. (Don't even suggest HX Effects or HX Stomp).

No, I probably don't need it and yes, I probably do need to pull my finger out and expand on my current patch library. You can't take away from the fact that when set up well, it sounds 'the absolute nuts'. I have owned a huge amount of processors over the years and this is turning in to my favourite after spending lots of time with it. 

I can only imagine what will happen when they bring in a touch screen and a smartphone swipeable GUI!

22 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

I have a full fat floor version.

It has never been gigged. Does that tell you something? Well, no, actually..

It gets used every day. It’s under my desk and is my primary practise tool. It’s my audio interface, mic interface, it gets used for guitar and mandolin as well as bass, and it lets me try a load of different bass sounds on tracks so I can work out what I like/don’t like.

It’s probably my most used bit of kit, but not as a live tool.

A less tongue in cheek response from me:

Sounds like you're getting really good use out of your Helix.

Btw -  I would never in a million years equate "use" = "live tool"; lying around in a case for years not getting played is when something's not getting used in my books. And even then it's none of my business whether folk want to hold onto their "unused" kit or not.

Nice thing about being grown up is that we all get to spend our hard earned spare cash on what we like :) 

Edited by Al Krow

53 minutes ago, Dood said:

Last night I played yet another weekend gig. Turned up with my pair of basses, my case full of leads and my LT. My In-Ears and a little Ultranet 'mixer' completed my set up. After a 3 hour gig, putting that little lot back in the car was rather nice weaving through the danced-out drunkards.

I keep threatening to just turn up to gigs with a mini pedal board and a DI box.. but I've been reaching for LT every time. (Don't even suggest HX Effects or HX Stomp).

No, I probably don't need it and yes, I probably do need to pull my finger out and expand on my current patch library. You can't take away from the fact that when set up well, it sounds 'the absolute nuts'. I have owned a huge amount of processors over the years and this is turning in to my favourite after spending lots of time with it. 

I can only imagine what will happen when they bring in a touch screen and a smartphone swipeable GUI!

The prototype had a touch screen.

They binned it after testing. 

9 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

The prototype had a touch screen.

They binned it after testing. 

Thinking about it, I think as a desktop device the touch screen could be good, but on the floor under beer... maybe not.. 

Now, an iPad controller.... For me, the moment I started to like Logic Pro was shortly after I installed the iPad app, which is brilliant. I love the shortcuts etc.

4 hours ago, Wolverinebass said:

Considering how much other top-flight bass gear can cost, I don't think it's expensive.

Edited by Jack

I don’t have a Helix but have a similar unit which ‘does everything’ and although at the time it cost about the same, and seemed like a massive indulgence, it’s saved me hundreds of pounds since because it ‘does everything’ - so I no longer need to muck about with separate effects and so on. I’m still finding new things to ‘make’ and it’s ticked off a load of things from my ‘would be likely to spend cash on’ list, including headphone practice, audio interface, effects, amp and cab sim, DI, Stereo, synth... so to me these all in one boys are the bees knees and if you get one you’ll save a ton in the long run. 

11 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Mate (and owner of most marvellous bass collection, have you still got your Ric btw?) if he'd asked the question "could I possibly WANT a Helix?" I'd have said "yes" , of course I would. However "Really NEED"?!

But I guess if we follow Maslow, there is possibly a line of argument that a Helix LT in some form or shape could provide the OP with self-actualisation, in which case yup I stand corrected.

With ref to the SE bass bash, I personally can't think of anything more indulgent than getting a Helix LT for just three patches when there are starving bass players who are having to make do and mend with a used Zoom B1on.

Now sarcasm aside... 😂

I'm far from starving as my developing muffin top attests, but I continue to gig with my Zoom B1xon, I bloody love it. It makes all the sounds I need, runs on batteries if I need it to and fits in my gig bag a treat. I usually use four or possibly five patches.

Not knocking the Helix or those that use it at all, but the old Zoom has got to be THE best vfm bass player's bit of kit ever made!

Edited by King Tut
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, King Tut said:

I'm far from starving as my developing muffin top attests, but I continue to gig with my Zoom B1xon, I bloody love it. It makes all the sounds I need, runs on batteries if I need it to and fits in my gig bag a treat. I usually use four or possibly five patches.

Not knocking the Helix or those that use it at all, but the old Zoom has got to be THE best vfm bass player's bit of kit ever made!

Nah, the Behringer BDI Preamp at £17 last week is the best vfm bit of kit ;)

• Like 1

I've got the LT version.

Gets used for every gig I do, and also for home practice too.

I also use it as my in-ear monitor feed.

Patch-wise, I have loads on there, but primarily I only use one, which I spent weeks getting exactly how I wanted it.

What drove me to get one?  What piqued my interest initially was that Billy Sheehan had started using one.  That guy is a total tone monster and for him to be impressed enough by it to start using one live told me it must be worth checking out.

Secondly, I'd gone back and fore between multi-fx (although mainly Boss units) and separate pedals over the years.  I do like the whole separate signal paths for highs and lows type of setup (Down to Mr. Sheehan again), and the ease of setting those up in the Helix was another massive tick in the box.

I also really like that Line 6 keep putting updates out for the Helix, and also that you can share patches with fellow users on the L6 website.

Is it missing anything?  The main thing I was surprised that it didn't have Bass-wise, was a Sansamp clone.  Could have by now, I think I'm one or two updates behind at the moment...

YMMV, but for me it has eradicated effects GAS totally.  Hope this helps!

2 hours ago, LewisK1975 said:

The main thing I was surprised that it didn't have Bass-wise, was a Sansamp clone.  Could have by now, I think I'm one or two updates behind at the moment...

Still doesn't, although 2.7 is right around the corner. It struck me as strange too, but then isn't the sansamp supposed to emulate an SVT? 'Cos there's already an SVT in there. I noticed it's absence but I didn't miss it, too scooped for me.

• Like 1