Why become a member? ×

New Ashdown pedals

Bigwan

18 minutes ago, Jack said:

That's kind of my point to be honest. Everyone has different strengths and the Andertons people are usually pretty good at thhis. Look at how the personable and technically-brilliant Rabbea is balanced by the guitar nerd (who's name escapes me at the moment) or how the excitable and slightly too-enthusiastic Nathan works so well with chilled and laughy Lee on All About The Bass. Salesman Lee (Captain) and professional product demonstrator Rob Chapman. They've got their social media presence NAILED and for some reason they've put this gentleman all over the NAMM coverage with a bad interview technique, no ability to hold a mic still and a proclivity for asking silly questions that'll make the bedroom guitar nerds that watch this kind of stuff roll their eyes.

He looks and sounds kinda like Lee Anderton actually, is it just nepotism?

I agree with all of this, however anyone showcasing their products at NAMM should have the ability to do their product justice on camera, regardless of how $hite the interviewer may be. For me, Mark @ Ashdown was just as responsible for the poor interview.

Also a tad baffled to see the B-Social amp on display at around 8:30 in the video. I thought they were axed? Or is that my imagination?

1 minute ago, CameronJ said:

Also a tad baffled to see the B-Social amp on display at around 8:30 in the video. I thought they were axed? Or is that my imagination?

I think the B-Social may have merged into the Meters brand possibly? They have a few B-Social-esque bluetooth speakers on the go, so perhaps that's the daddy, or grandaddy?

Eude

How much headroom do you need? 18V supply is overkill for instrument-level effects - it's a signal that's about 150mV peak to peak. Imagine someone standing next to Nelson's Column. That's how much headroom 9V gives you. Now imagine driving a double decker bus filled with Ashdown effects into an Olympic sized swimming pool. That's what Keith Moon would have done.

I know...the insistence on 18v power is something which will only alienate more people. Would have been much smarter to have them run at 9v as standard but with the option to power them at 18v for increased headroom. There are pedals out there which offer this and it appeases the 9v masses whilst offering a little “boost” to those who have the ability to power pedals at 18v.

There may well be people out there who are interested in these Ashdown pedals but decide it isn’t worthwhile since they’ll have to get a whole new power supply for their board, or run adapters to get them to work properly.

For the record, if these effects were stellar then I’m sure people would go out of their way to adapt their pedalboard setups for them. The issue I have is that so far we have no sound demos - so all we have to go by is images of the pedals and specs available online. Neither the specs nor the images are enticing anyone to go out and buy these pedals without hearing them first...

You guys are quick to judge, and a bit harsh IMO - a vox pop at a trade show isn't ever going to be much good - it's noisy, the interviewee is often unprepared, tired, asked the wrong questions. The pedals may not have been fully launched yet with demos etc, maybe they were rushed into prototypes for the show and a full release will follow - they might be really good?!

Wait and see. It's a bit of a shame to see so many people ready to shoot down one of our own UK brands.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ped said:

You guys are quick to judge, and a bit harsh IMO - a vox pop at a trade show isn't ever going to be much good - it's noisy, the interviewee is often unprepared, tired, asked the wrong questions. The pedals may not have been fully launched yet with demos etc, maybe they were rushed into prototypes for the show and a full release will follow - they might be really good?!

Wait and see. It's a bit of a shame to see so many people ready to shoot down one of our own UK brands.

It's frustration @ped. They have the ability to lead the world. Instead they're releasing another (likely in my view) loss leader. As you say, we shall see. But even if they are really good, the prices vs features are hard to swallow.

Edited by Bigwan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ped said:

Maybe Chris. But Ashdown just seem to have so much wasted potential. I'm just exasperated with it. For every decent/great ABM, small valve head or Rootmaster there are at least 3 little giants, superflys, mibass, b-social or Dr. Green pedals. Some of those were great ideas, but weren't that well implemented. Which is the tragedy in this case.

I mean, I played the Geezer head and thought it was rubbish. You could have got the same sound with a mild fuzz pedal which obviously wouldn't cost £1100 either. I'd like them to do well, but they seem confused about what they're doing. I certainly don't get it.

28 minutes ago, Wolverinebass said:

Maybe Chris. But Ashdown just seem to have so much wasted potential. I'm just exasperated with it. For every decent/great ABM, small valve head or Rootmaster there are at least 3 little giants, superflys, mibass, b-social or Dr. Green pedals. Some of those were great ideas, but weren't that well implemented. Which is the tragedy in this case.

I mean, I played the Geezer head and thought it was rubbish. You could have got the same sound with a mild fuzz pedal which obviously wouldn't cost £1100 either. I'd like them to do well, but they seem confused about what they're doing. I certainly don't get it.

I see your point, but I rather like the fact they keep making so many random bits. It's that sort of approach that can produce an absolute cracker now and then - rather than boring safe designs based on someone's something else.

I've actually been quite positive about Ashdown in this thread, the horrible video was the equally the fault of Andertons, the NAMM environment and Ashdown. With that said, lots of people on here seem to just wish Ashdown was the brand we all want it to be. They're the spiritual successor to TE and (even factoring in rose-tinted hindsight) they don't seem to quite live up to that.

They have so much potential! They had the first class-d head that most people saw, and the first neo cabinets. They were hardly the first to have a hybrid head but they were probably the most visible. They still make lead sleds (even rackmounted ones!) for olde worlde types. They have some amazing signature artists. Their list of brilliance goes on and on but to me it's almost like bad sex. It's good, but you walk away with the nagging feeling it could have been a little better. @ped you're right about us being unduly harsh but (from my point of view at least) it's the same as all those men who sit and scream at the TV every Saturday afternoon, I'm invested in Ashdown, I want them to do well.

Having said this, none of it matters. Basschat is a tiny percentage of bassists. More than that, it's skewed to the tiny percentage of bassists nerdy enough to sit online and talk about bass playing so it's FAR from representative. As nearly every rehearsal studio, every teenage 'my first band' and many many hard working professional players will attest, Ashdown is doing just fine. I bet they could retire everything apart from whatever the MAG line is called now and they could probably all live quite comfortably. God knows they've sold more bass amps that I ever will.

Edited by Jack
  • Like 3