Why become a member? ×

To keep, or not to keep?

EmmettC

I'm really not fishing here, my subscription is paid and I'll put up a sales post IF I decide to sell. I'm also not showing off, well maybe a little.

So I have a lovely EBS rig, a HD350 and a Proline 410, weighs a tonne, but it sounds great and moves a lot of air. I also have another, smaller, rig with a Genz Benz Streamliner 900 and a Barefaced Big Baby 2, it also sounds great, but it's really light and actually quite a bit louder.

Thing is, I never really get around to using my EBS gear any more, it just sits there looking great, and reminding me how lovely that glassy EBS top end sounds. I am reluctant to get rid of it, because it sounds so good, but I feel bad about keeping it.

My choices are sod it and keep it, I might get a chance to use it a some stage. Just sell the head, because a 4ohm 410 will probably be useful at some point. Or just sell the cab, because I will probably want to have the EBS tone in something I do again in the future.

If I sell it I might buy a Reidmar, or some other useful gear. If I keep it I can stay safe in the knowledge that I have one of the best sounding rigs ever tucked away for whenever I need it.

Any opinions on how I should handle my first World problems?

You like the EBS tone so why not sort a more powerful EBS amp head (like the Reidmar) and another BB2 with the sale of the current EBS rig (and maybe the Genz too) - you`d then have the tone you love with two incredibly efficient, hi-fi cabs that would handle pretty much any stage known to man. Use one BB2 for rehearsals/smaller gigs, bring out the 2nd when you need a bit more presence.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

You like the EBS tone so why not sort a more powerful EBS amp head (like the Reidmar) and another BB2 with the sale of the current EBS rig (and maybe the Genz too) - you`d then have the tone you love with two incredibly efficient, hi-fi cabs that would handle pretty much any stage known to man. Use one BB2 for rehearsals/smaller gigs, bring out the 2nd when you need a bit more presence.

Exactly what I would have suggested. :)

The Reidmar 750 is an outstanding amp and mostly overlooked for some reason.   A Reidmar 750/BB2 is a brilliant rig that will cover all but the biggest gigs.

Frank.

I've booked in to my mates recording studio for a day soon, just to set up all my gear and try it at a good level. I'll definitely keep the Genz and the BB2 they work really well for my wedding band. I would like the Reidmar, but I won't get one with the proceeds from the HD350 and I'm still really reluctant to sell the 410. I'll try them all in the studio for a whole day and see how I feel after that. Cheers for the advice so far. 

It's not loud enough, and the Genz Benz sounds a bit better for wedding band stuff, the HD350 is probably only running 200W or less with the 8ohm cab. I'm really happy with the GB/BF combo for that gig. I just find myself using it more often for my original band too, and the EBS would sound better for that.

17 hours ago, karlfer said:

Cheers Karl, 

I am looking for an EBS 4x10 or 2x12 but I think the weight of the proline may make it prohibitive for me.

I'm in a similar position, I have an HD350 and Neo 2x12, which for the vast amount of the time sit in the dining room, as I just DI with a Microbass II

However, I used the amp last wekend, and it is better than the PA wedges, just not so much better that it justifies the additional weight and footprint on moat gigs.

That, coupled with most of the bands I dep for don't have PA/monitoring suitable for only going direct, mean it's going nowhere; just wish there wasn't an intermittent problem with the power stage.

7 hours ago, Graham said:

I'm in a similar position, I have an HD350 and Neo 2x12, which for the vast amount of the time sit in the dining room, as I just DI with a Microbass II

However, I used the amp last wekend, and it is better than the PA wedges, just not so much better that it justifies the additional weight and footprint on moat gigs.

That, coupled with most of the bands I dep for don't have PA/monitoring suitable for only going direct, mean it's going nowhere; just wish there wasn't an intermittent problem with the power stage.

Well, if you ever decide to shift the 2x12 I’d take it off your hands in a snap!

• Like 1