Why become a member? ×

Am I just in a rut .

christhammer666

Evening all

i posted a thread a while about trying to find a band I have been lucky in the fact that I have found one which is brand new.the problem I now have is that I'm dreading the thought of spending 6+ months in the rehearsal room writing and perfecting songs  and then playing for free to noone as promoters don't promote and think One share on Facebook is promoting .

even when you promote yourself no one really goes to see original small  metal bands anymore am I just being a miserable git or am I being a realist 

when I think of all the sacrifice and expense for little gain or record I don't know if I want to do it anymore

Jamie

This is, sadly, par for the course with a lot of new originals bands. You have the following options:

1. Leave, and join a band that's already well established
  2. Leave, and join a covers band instead
  3. Do it for the fun of it

If you enjoy playing the music, then do it for its own sake, with no expectation of success or recognition. Having bandmates that you get on with is essential for this.

S.P.

I spent 5 years in an original Rock/Metal band as Vocalist from 81 to 86 we died on our derrières in out of town venues but pulled good crowds locally and had the pleasure of supporting Magnum, Terrorplane….(2 members from Thunder), Spider, Crome Molly. We quickly added covers to our set as you will soon learn the average pub venue doesn't want originals. I eventually packed in when the band split after several failed attempts at putting another band together....but got the bug again in 99 and gigged regularly in local cover bands as either vocalist or bassist till 2015 but working permanent nights haven't done nothing since. My advice would be learn some covers or join a covers band aswell...good luck and have fun.

22 minutes ago, Stylon Pilson said:
  1. Do it for the fun of it

If you enjoy playing the music, then do it for its own sake, with no expectation of success or recognition.

This is your starting point. "Anything else".., as our friends across the pond would say, "is gravy".

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

This is your starting point. "Anything else".., as our friends across the pond would say, "is gravy".

Agreed, we find ourselves in the same boat, we do it because we enjoy it, we record when we want to, we gig when we gig, we probably don't get as many gigs as we could but there is a strong ethos of no bum licking to any 'promoters' with us so... (I would add that we are not on an ego trip just too old to be messed around by the type of 'promoter' mentioned in the op of which there are many).

Edited by doomed

We started out 5 years ago as an originals punk band made up of three late forties/early 50s guys, no idea where it would take us, but pretty much convinced it would be Tuesday night gigs to other bands and the occasional mate or two.

Since then we`ve literally only played Fri/Sat gigs, played festivals, released three albums, played on the bill with some great well-known bands, toured overseas in Europe, and done gigs where we fly in to a city, do the gig, then fly home - was in Munich at the weekend doing this. 

Am not bigging myself up in any way here, what I`m saying is, go out and do it, I`m not sure what the metal scene is like any more but the punk scene is thriving, people still want to hear live noisy guitar music. You just need someone within your band that is focused and dedicated to get the gigs etc, that person is the one that will take your band as far as you`re capable.

We all thought it would be a laugh to play some noisy original music whilst we still had a bit of life left in us, it`s been a blast, still going strong, wouldn`t change it for the world (touring Germany next week). Originals bands rock!!

• Like 4