Why become a member? ×

Jack and Danny Mini Jazz Bass

RnRDave

Any love for these? Can't find much info on the short scales. Nearly pulled the trigger on a mustang bass but for £300 less surely these can be upgraded to a decent standard?

I've got a spare gotoh bridge at home so just need some new tuners and pickups possibly?

Would love to hear from someone who owns one of these mini bad boys.

https://www.musicstore.de/en_GB/GBP/Jack-Danny-Bass-guitar-JB-Mini-BK-Black/art-BAS0007167-000

jack-und-danny-e-bass-jb-mini-surf-green_2_BAS0007169-000.jpg

Features:

• Shortscale Bass
  • Body Shape: JB Mini
  • Body Wood: Alder
  • Neck: Maple, bolt-on
  • Neck Profile: C
  • Rosewood fretboard
  • Fretboard inlays: Dots
  • Fretboard radius: 14" (355 mm)
  • Frets: 20 Jumbo
  • Nut: Plastic
  • Nut width: 1.54“ (39 mm)
  • Scale: 29“ (737 mm)
  • Pickups: Singlecoil
  • Electronics: passive
  • Controls: 2x Volume, 2x Tone
  • Bridge: Vintage Style with 4 Barrel-Guides
  • Machine heads: Vintage Style, open
  • Hardware: Chrome
  • Finish: Black

£99???

Spend another pound and get a £10 discount:  http://www.dealscove.com/coupons/dv247.com

Edited by TheGreek
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Matt P said:

I can't help you but I'm tempted by either the blue or the green myself, wondering if they're small enough to fit in a guitar hardcase? 

I read somewhere they are similar size to a strat. Not sure how true that is. I'm very tempted too. Even if it's just for playing at home.

10 hours ago, kodiakblair said:

@jrixn1 has or had one. Maybe he'll see the tag and weigh in with his opinion. 

Yes, I do have one which lives in my van as a spare.  Never actually needed it as a back-up, but I do choose to gig it occasionally, and it is fun, small, and light.  I don't really get on with jazz basses, so mine's currently wired in series.

There is a previous thread here: https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/241113-jd-mini-basses-and-vintage-63-p-bass-jack-and-danny/

I note that I paid just £73.99 a couple of years ago!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TheGreek said:

jack-und-danny-e-bass-jb-mini-surf-green_2_BAS0007169-000.jpg

Features:

• Shortscale Bass
  • Body Shape: JB Mini
  • Body Wood: Alder
  • Neck: Maple, bolt-on
  • Neck Profile: C
  • Rosewood fretboard
  • Fretboard inlays: Dots
  • Fretboard radius: 14" (355 mm)
  • Frets: 20 Jumbo
  • Nut: Plastic
  • Nut width: 1.54“ (39 mm)
  • Scale: 29“ (737 mm)
  • Pickups: Singlecoil
  • Electronics: passive
  • Controls: 2x Volume, 2x Tone
  • Bridge: Vintage Style with 4 Barrel-Guides
  • Machine heads: Vintage Style, open
  • Hardware: Chrome
  • Finish: Black

£99???

Spend another pound and get a £10 discount:  http://www.dealscove.com/coupons/dv247.com

two volumes, one tone, surely ?

17 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

Yes, I do have one which lives in my van as a spare.  Never actually needed it as a back-up, but I do choose to gig it occasionally, and it is fun, small, and light.  I don't really get on with jazz basses, so mine's currently wired in series.

There is a previous thread here: https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/241113-jd-mini-basses-and-vintage-63-p-bass-jack-and-danny/

I note that I paid just £73.99 a couple of years ago!

is there any chance you could measure the total length for me please? wondering if these would fit in one of my guitar hard cases (if they do then the chances of me buying one at the end of the month will go up to 90%)

Matt 

I have two of these, a black one which I changed the pots on for a used set which had series parallel push pull pot set up on, fretted, wearing LaBella flats, and a sunburst one which I defretted, made a new bone nut for it and fitted some nice old alnico pups in and a heavy bridge and wearing black tape wounds as the rosewood board is too soft for steel strings without being epoxied or similar - I have the fretless out for noodling on again at the moment and I really love it, pickguard removed for the full faux Jaco look, the burst finish is nicely done

The black one I would sell , complete with two sets of slightly used original J&D strings (USA made it says). The ceramic pickups aren't bad just not great. 2014 built model (bought early 2015) so also rosewood board. It's boxed up at the moment ready to ship as I have had bad gas last year and too many instruments.

The build, neck especially and finish is pretty good how they do it at the price is totally beyond me. The scale size tuners do a very good job for me, but I don't slap just a little percussive picking. Only fault was the fitting of the pickguard, hand drilled screw holes a couple of attempts on a few clearly,  screws loose, so I filled them and refitted it. The bridge is actually perfectly fine bbot.

Weight about 3Kg, body is Strat size, overall length 102cm, fits in a Gator x large guitar hard case perfectly

I'm not sure that these J&D aren't the same as some of the Japanese market ones that come up for sale at 3 times the price, the Japanese ones don't say they are made in Japan and they have the same shape headstock so if made for Japanese market would explain the quality.

Edited by Aidan63
added detail

The original strings fitted are supposed to be American made, J&D brand. Maybe the same ones fitted to the Ibanez Mikro basses as they are same scale length, they are available from Ibanez and online from France on ebay. Standard short scale strings fit but you will have a little top wrap on the post on the E string but I haven't had a problem with that, and lots of standard scale strings end up with a little top wrap on the E string on some 34" scale inline 4 headstocks I have found depending on bridge design and closeness of tuner to nut, especially flat wounds.

I don't actually have a strat to compare with but overall body size is about the same size as my telecaster and only a couple of inches longer than it overall

WP_20181012_001.jpg

WP_20181012_002.jpg

On 11/10/2018 at 17:35, RnRDave said:

Any love for these? Can't find much info on the short scales. Nearly pulled the trigger on a mustang bass but for £300 less surely these can be upgraded to a decent standard?

I've got a spare gotoh bridge at home so just need some new tuners and pickups possibly?

Would love to hear from someone who owns one of these mini bad boys.

https://www.musicstore.de/en_GB/GBP/Jack-Danny-Bass-guitar-JB-Mini-BK-Black/art-BAS0007167-000

I have a Surf green one --Modded with Gotoh Tuners, DiMarzio Model J pickups, Fender vintage threaded bridge, Cts pots,  P.I.O.. Cap. and LaBella Flats--Plays and sounds great! --

If you are ever in the Leeds area you are welcome to come and try it out and compare it with my 1973 sunburst Mustang or my Capri Orange P/J Mustang or my Red Fender Modern Player short scale Jazz to see which suits you!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2x18 said:

I have a Surf green one --Modded with Gotoh Tuners, DiMarzio Model J pickups, Fender vintage threaded bridge, Cts pots,  P.I.O.. Cap. and LaBella Flats--Plays and sounds great! --

If you are ever in the Leeds area you are welcome to come and try it out and compare it with my 1973 sunburst Mustang or my Capri Orange P/J Mustang or my Red Fender Modern Player short scale Jazz to see which suits you!

I'd certainly do that as I'm only in east Lancashire. I'm afraid I'd have to take your Capri orange mustang though!! Been after one for bloody ages!!

They sound like the kind of mods I'd be wanting to do. How much do you thing it cost to upgrade?

Just now, RnRDave said:

I'd certainly do that as I'm only in east Lancashire. I'm afraid I'd have to take your Capri orange mustang though!! Been after one for bloody ages!!

They sound like the kind of mods I'd be wanting to do. How much do you thing it cost to upgrade?

Not sure of cost as they were all bits I had in my parts collection! -- C.O. Mustang is my current favourite Bass!

• 3 months later...
38 minutes ago, naxos10 said:

If anyone is looking for strings for short scale basses talk to Newtone, they will wind the scale length to suit. Great strings.

Just had a gander on their site. So they do short scale bass strings to suit? I've just got a VM squier mustang bass but gonna get one of these J&D as a back up/project finally now the blue is back in stock.

• 11 months later...
On 12/10/2018 at 19:26, TheGreek said:

More importantly...Would it take the Black tapewound (Piccolo?) strings that Frank had on his Rob Allen Mouse at the SE Bash recently...they (and the Mouse) were amazing.

They should fit, I’ve got several sets, let me know and you can have some for free.