Why become a member? ×

Best bass in the world?

Guest Marcoelwray

The best bass I've ever played was this Shuker singlecut 5-string. If I'd had the money, I'd have walked out of his workshop with it. I know SCs are a bit marmite and they're not my first choice shape-wise, but the way it played and ohhhh lordy the sound... A stunning instrument.

singlecut4.jpg

• Like 3

On 13/10/2018 at 22:07, Rich said:

The best bass I've ever played was this Shuker singlecut 5-string. If I'd had the money, I'd have walked out of his workshop with it. I know SCs are a bit marmite and they're not my first choice shape-wise, but the way it played and ohhhh lordy the sound... A stunning instrument.

singlecut4.jpg

See, I was right! 😀

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 15:46, ped said:

I’ve always refuted that idea. I mean yeah what you actually play will sound like you, but the bass itself will sound different. 

Said bass might sound different again depending on who plays it. 

Example, if I play a P bass then a Zon Legacy, you’ll be able to hear a difference. Now if someone else plays them they will still be massively easy to tell apart but they might sound slightly different to when I played them due to technique.

This.

• Like 1

Mine is my Vigier Excess 5 bass. Tried nearly everything and owned a lot of them too but for me, nothing beats it. I love it so much, I have another on order. They do everything I desire from a bass. They fit like a glove. My perfect choice and I haven't looked at another since. Great question and really nicely put, too. Bravo 😊

Edited by mattbass6
  • Like 1

Fender p bass (and alikes). Must be the most reliable bass to use, tone wise and in general reliability. 

And surely the most used in the music industry over the years. And used in every genre. Look how long it's been around and since the move to the split pu design it's not really changed. 

While im not a fan of the overly chunky neck ones, I literally can't say anything bad about them. 

Every bass is the right bass. . . for someone.

I don't think about the "best". All you can do is to ensure that the next bass is better in some regard than the last one. That way, when you finally stop playing, you'll be playing the best bass you've ever owned.

Guest Marcoelwray

People just read title and answer to say "my bass is the best". Mostly.

That was absolutely not the question.

But how did you find the one? What was your cursus in tone seeking research? Etc...

35 minutes ago, Marcoelwray said:

People just read title and answer to say "my bass is the best". Mostly.

That was absolutely not the question. 

But how did you find the one? What was your cursus in tone seeking research? Etc...

If you have a problem with the answers maybe you should have phrased the question differently. This is also the problem with "click-bait". If you point people in one direction you can't complain if that's the direction they go!

Then there is the long post problem. People generally don't read long posts so any points being made in a long post will probably be missed. Long posts are generally not to the point. Sorry, but I tried reading yours and drifted off several times.

Perfection is overrated. The value of anything to be "good enough".

Edited by chris_b
  • Like 1

I used to think Warwick Thumbs were the business, had an '87 5 string for years, but recently I've become a MusicMan convert, I have a 5 string Bongo which is a beast, and an "SR5" fretless which is a bit of a Frankenstein, but the neck is proper MM and it's very good.

Then I bought a 20th Anniversary SR5 from this very parish, and it is, without doubt, my perfect bass. 

Now all I need is to find a fretless that works as well, apparently there were less than 50 fretless 20th anni's made, so I'm not holding my breath.