Why become a member? ×

Best bass in the world?

Guest Marcoelwray

Guest Marcoelwray

Hello folks,

I know, I know, it's a "clickbait" kind of title. But, recently, struggling with my Mayones Custom, now traded, making basses of diffrerents types, I was thinkinhg about, all these instruments I tried in my "career". It's now 20 years I play bass (not as a professional player but more hobby player), and like my wonderful job gives me the opportunity to make like between 3-4000Km/month, I had plenty of time to tought about that big question.

Once, I was really into cars (I gave up, I will never had the money to buy a decent sports car), and I was really into new technologies, new cars, exotic cars. I think that's quite comparable to the basses. I was following Chris Harris (if you don't know he guy, he's a famous british automotive reporter). I read an interview of him, where he was answering a series of questions (that's the point of the interview, in fact), especially one who taken all my attention, and will ever stay in my memory (more the answer than the question). Before I quote the protagonists, just know that the guy has already tried the worst and the best cars in the world. Almost all of them. One of his most precious car in his collection is a ..... 2CV. Anyway:

Reporter: "What is the best car in the world?"

Chris Harris: '"BMW 320d."

It was a straight answer. Period. Being a "fan" of the guy, I immediatlely understood his answer; despite the fact he was himself the first to be impressed by a car (like Pagani, Zonda, McLaren P1, Porsche, Ferrari,...), for him, you don't need more tha a BMW 320d on the road. Usability, power, confort, etc... I mean, it's a regular answer, but coming from this guy, really aware about all the cars in the world.... I hope you understand what I felt.

Back to our favourite instrument, the bass guitar, the analogy is quite appropriate; I didn't try as much bass as Harris tried cars, for sure, but being a beginner bass builder, a wood addict, I had like a big reveal in my head;

That bass I want, I need, I seek for, with the perfect tone and playability, where I didn't have to look at the neck for the notes, which can sound perfect in every record (growly, smooth, high...) IS (or was in this case):

An Ibanez SR405 1999.

I'm not saying that my opinion is the unique truth in the world, I a very well placed to know what's the value of true craftmanship, but, honestly, how many defaults could I find on this bass (apart the aestethical part)? zero. (update while I'm finishing this thread; yes, it's not a default but a wrong choice; the string spacing was too tight -16.5mm-) I bough it new in 1999 in Belgium, it was a big time for Ibanez (thanks to Korn partially), and, like Fiedly (or Fieldy, can't remember) I wanted the same bass. This very bass was by my side for 18 years (now it's a dead body), and in every situation, it was just perfect... But my stupid mind was always keep saying to itself "it's a cheap old bass, can't sound good" . I had an newer version of an Ibanez, a SR405QM and it was really not goog IMHO. The old one was so simple, but so effective... Big body, not too heavy, classic wood: soft maple, with rosewood fingerboard, no fancy things, two DX5 pickups with an Ibanez preamp.

Now, I need to insist on the fact that is my personnal experience, as I kept this bass and learned so many things on it, maybe every single bassist has his perfect bass of his own.

I just want to share my recent toughts; I think I'm chasing the holy grail (litteraly)... And maybe it always has been there... Of course i'm still in love with Warwick's, Shuker's fretlesses, Marleaux superbs Consat Signature models, etc... But I have to admit (and it's quite hard to admit) that this simple bass was so effective that it is/was for me, the best bass in the world.

Here's some songs I've made, when I listen to them, I just can't believe that was my old SR sounding so nice (or is it me? That low be is so tight...)

https://soundcloud.com/marco-elwray/just-some-space

https://soundcloud.com/marco-elwray/unexpected-rythms (don't judge the whole song please :) )

https://soundcloud.com/marco-elwray/golden-reefs

As far as I know, most of people here are really more experienced than me, so I would love to read your opinion on this.... Did you have the same kinf of reveal? Did you go back to a bass you realize many years later it was really good? Do you think that every person has its own grail? Let me know, I'd love to hear...

Cheers !

I think everyone has their own holy grail, a bass they arrived at through influences, fave tones, feel, looks, value for money, ability to fit most/all musical situations...... endless other reasons etc...... but mainly that just feels 'right' and almost an extension of their musical self.

Mine is the Spector NS2.

YMMV.....

• Like 1

For me its a Jazz bass and if I was going to be specific it would be my ESP 400 series 66 reissue Jazz which was made in the Japanese Fender factory, has exactly the same components, parts etc. as a Fender including the same headstock. I've tried buckets loads of other basses (Warwick's, Musicman, Status, Lakland, Ibanez etc.) and liked them but as an extension to me, what I feel most comfortable playing and always come back to, then its a simple Fender Jazz. It just feels right, fits me and works for me on every level.

I love all my gear but for different reasons, but I'm down to six basses now and hope to reduce that further.  I suppose the question here should be rephrased as you're bound to get people going, 'Oh, my Ritter,' or 'Oh, my Fodera,' comments of which are primarily made out of how much the instrument actually cost or how old it is, not because they're best.  As Gary put it, personal choice has to come down to looks, feel etc. and we all know that tastes shift with time.

Right now, and it really hurts me to say this given the money spent elsewhere, but my go to bass and the one I love the most is the mashed up ratty old Aria Pro II Primary bass.  It cost me next to nothing, it owes me about £120 for a new pickup, bridge and pots.  It plays dreamily and sounds gnarly.  On the last gig I did with the old band I threw it across the stage and it just went, 'Is that the best you got?'  The new recordings I've been doing are all on it.  The only downside is that it's Precision-shaped and I'm really not a fan of Fenders.

• Like 1

I own 11 basses currently including a number of expensive, custom built basses.

However the bass I enjoy playing most is probably an inexpensive SGC Nanyo. I've had a few - bought them for as little as £35 - and sold them. 

However I keep buying them - a "must have" - if I could only have two basses, I think one would be a Bass Collection Nanyo. Not sure what the other would be though.

Lovely question!

I want to take a historical perspective on this issue. First of all, bass has not so much to do with violin, NO! It predates from the gamba family. They are fretted or fretless, several strings, can be played with fingers and bow. Their size became bigger, while these bigger bands were founded. Symphony bands, that is.

Double bass or contra bass is the big thing that may have frets (yes, there are fretted instruments, there) but the most common are big, fretless boxes with 4 or 5 strings. You can find a double bass with 3 strings or 6.

During 20th century we were given lots of electricity and that drove people to create electric stuff - and basses. Paul Tutmarc, Leo Fender et al. did a great job. So if we take a quick look in inventions on electric ones, I would like to point out few specialities or inventions (at their time):

Tutmarc's instrument was probably one of the very first commercial trials, although his success among few others was less than modest. So in 1951 Leo F. came out with his Precision. I do remind you, that his instrument was so new, that it took around ten years to build a solid market. Many players still relied on double bass - or its electrified version with an Ampeg mic (amplified peg). So at that time if you wanted to be in the forefront, the best option was a Fender, also because competitors had very similar basses. Another reminder: the Precision was relatively cheap, as the parts were well thought out (i.e. simple and easy to fit together) and could be done in big series. For example Rickenbacker has a through-neck that is far more complicated to produce. Model 4000 had a price tag of U$D 280 which was U$D 60 more than a P. That was nearly 30 % more expensive in 1957! A Volkswagen Beetle cost U$D 1500.

So if a brand new Ford Fiasco today costs approx. £ 14 000, this would equal that a Ric would cost around £ 2600 (Thomann: £ 1800) and a P £ 1900. A new Squier P costs under £ 200 and this way the bass is practically available to anyone.

During the sweet 60's choices were somewhat limited but you could buy a 6-string bass - maybe it would be called a baritone guitar today. There were semi acoustics, a Thunderbird and a Fender V but still the selection was pretty limited.

1970's changed a lot: rock trios wanted more! And people wanted to be in rock bands. This meant that many players wanted instruments and some of them wanted something different. Dan Armstrong made their plexi glass thing, Alembic started the active era, G. Gould played with graphite. And before the decade turned to furry animals, Stan and Jaco came to town. You should not forget studio aces that wanted more, like Jimmy Johnson who was one of the first bassists that wanted a low B.

The eighties were filled with hair. Oh dear! If you needed a special shape to your bass, you probably could find it. Some of those instruments can be seen every now and then but I think that they belong to 80's. Because more was the thing at that time, luthiers produced more of those beautiful wood creations - with more strings. It was time for the 6th string to become a standard. On the other hand, while aluminum and carbon fiber were introduce during the previous decade, the designer Ned Steinberger draw this minimalist L-2. It was ready in the late 70's but manufacturing started in 1981. No head at all!

After those 1970's "incredible" innovations and 1980's multi-string creations, there were still things like a working MIDI bass (thanks Steve Chick), acoustic bass guitars, and different scale lengths. So lots of opportunities, far wider selection than ever before.

To raise one specific area outside the actual instrument during 21st century is the (relatively) low cost digital music production. New players along with youtube and other world wide wait stuff have given people lots of possibilities to find their own bass sound. May it be a keyboard or a 10-string exotic wood smörgåsbord, a pad or "just an ordinary P". My favorite and best instrument is bass. Simple or exotic, it's my choice.

I drive an Alfa 33, 1990. It is black.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, itu said:

Lovely question!

I want to take a historical perspective on this issue. First of all, bass has not so much to do with violin, NO! It predates from the gamba family. They are fretted or fretless, several strings, can be played with fingers and bow. Their size became bigger, while these bigger bands were founded. Symphony bands, that is.

Double bass or contra bass is the big thing that may have frets (yes, there are fretted instruments, there) but the most common are big, fretless boxes with 4 or 5 strings. You can find a double bass with 3 strings or 6.

During 20th century we were given lots of electricity and that drove people to create electric stuff - and basses. Paul Tutmarc, Leo Fender et al. did a great job. So if we take a quick look in inventions on electric ones, I would like to point out few specialities or inventions (at their time):

Tutmarc's instrument was probably one of the very first commercial trials, although his success among few others was less than modest. So in 1951 Leo F. came out with his Precision. I do remind you, that his instrument was so new, that it took around ten years to build a solid market. Many players still relied on double bass - or its electrified version with an Ampeg mic (amplified peg). So at that time if you wanted to be in the forefront, the best option was a Fender, also because competitors had very similar basses. Another reminder: the Precision was relatively cheap, as the parts were well thought out (i.e. simple and easy to fit together) and could be done in big series. For example Rickenbacker has a through-neck that is far more complicated to produce. Model 4000 had a price tag of U$D 280 which was U$D 60 more than a P. That was nearly 30 % more expensive in 1957! A Volkswagen Beetle cost U$D 1500.

So if a brand new Ford Fiasco today costs approx. £ 14 000, this would equal that a Ric would cost around £ 2600 (Thomann: £ 1800) and a P £ 1900. A new Squier P costs under £ 200 and this way the bass is practically available to anyone.

During the sweet 60's choices were somewhat limited but you could buy a 6-string bass - maybe it would be called a baritone guitar today. There were semi acoustics, a Thunderbird and a Fender V but still the selection was pretty limited.

1970's changed a lot: rock trios wanted more! And people wanted to be in rock bands. This meant that many players wanted instruments and some of them wanted something different. Dan Armstrong made their plexi glass thing, Alembic started the active era, G. Gould played with graphite. And before the decade turned to furry animals, Stan and Jaco came to town. You should not forget studio aces that wanted more, like Jimmy Johnson who was one of the first bassists that wanted a low B.

The eighties were filled with hair. Oh dear! If you needed a special shape to your bass, you probably could find it. Some of those instruments can be seen every now and then but I think that they belong to 80's. Because more was the thing at that time, luthiers produced more of those beautiful wood creations - with more strings. It was time for the 6th string to become a standard. On the other hand, while aluminum and carbon fiber were introduce during the previous decade, the designer Ned Steinberger draw this minimalist L-2. It was ready in the late 70's but manufacturing started in 1981. No head at all!

After those 1970's "incredible" innovations and 1980's multi-string creations, there were still things like a working MIDI bass (thanks Steve Chick), acoustic bass guitars, and different scale lengths. So lots of opportunities, far wider selection than ever before.

To raise one specific area outside the actual instrument during 21st century is the (relatively) low cost digital music production. New players along with youtube and other world wide wait stuff have given people lots of possibilities to find their own bass sound. May it be a keyboard or a 10-string exotic wood smörgåsbord, a pad or "just an ordinary P". My favorite and best instrument is bass. Simple or exotic, it's my choice.

@itu, are you Greek???

It is not unknown, when you ask a Greek a question, that you get everything except the answer that you asked for...

For instance, if you were to ask my Mum a straight forward question like "What colour is black..." you would probably get something along the lines of.."well it's not white, and you know that colour what your blood is? Yes, you know, red...well it's not that. Remember when you were 2 and my cousin came round with your 2nd cousin Lula ? Remember that dress, she was wearing???..." :facepalm::facepalm:

I'm sure that you get my drift..;);)

So, IYO what  is the best bass in the world?

• Haha 3

Best bass in the world for me is a 2012-15 Series US Standard Fender Precision. I have 5 of them (tho one is for sale as think 5 is a tad excessive). I`ve played/owned many basses, many being Precisions, and the ones that work for me best are these ones.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Best basses in the world for me is a 2012-15 Series US Standard Fender Precision. I have 5 of them (tho one is for sale as think 5 is a tad excessive). I`ve played/owned many basses, many being Precisions, and the ones that work for me best are these ones.

"tho one is for sale as think 5 is a tad excessive" - off to "famous quotes" with this...

Edited by TheGreek

6 hours ago, itu said:

Lovely question!

I often find that the size of a reply is proportional to the responders sense of self worth. 

• Like 1

Current thinking having been through rather too many basses in the last five years (which perhaps coincides with finding Basschat... hmmm) is that my recently acquired EBMM Sterling in pacific burst with maple neck/fretboard is "the one". It just feels right - the neck is slimmer than a Stingray which I find more comfortable and the raw wood (or the seeming lack of any coating...) is magic. This particular one is relatively lightweight - a hair under 4kg, but the balance on the strap makes it feel like nothing at all. And it looks so good. Sounds alright as well :D Plenty of growl and the three-way switch gives a bit of variety (not much, but a bit). At the moment I can't imagine moving it on... but have to admit I've said that before... ¬¬

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Hellzero said:

There is no best bass in the world as you will always have the same sound whatever bass you play, but I must admit the ergonomics will make the difference. In this case it's the Leduc U-Basse.

And I used to have 3 Alfa 33.

I have 19 bass guitars, they all sound different. 

• Like 2

Remember my almost endless list, have owned around 200 basses and still have 11. They all sound different of course, but not when I play them. It's a hard to admit fact : you'll always have the same sound whatever bass you will play and I'm not speaking of tweaking the amp sound, I'm speaking of what gets out the bass when you play. That's why you are human and not a robot. Make a simple experiment with a fellow bassist, play a bass at a precise position where both of you hear (quite) the same sound and then let your pal do the same : there will be a huge difference because you have both your inner sound that you'll always tend to hear, which is affected by endless factors including your technique, of course, and even weirder ones like education and what you eat...

• Like 2

I agree...I can hear a friend of mine in a room full of players, irrespective of what Bass he's playing.

This sort of blows away any argument about gear choice, which we sort of proved at the SE Bash recently.

There does seem to be some truth in "the tone is in the fingertips". 

I’ve always refuted that idea. I mean yeah what you actually play will sound like you, but the bass itself will sound different. 

Said bass might sound different again depending on who plays it. 

Example, if I play a P bass then a Zon Legacy, you’ll be able to hear a difference. Now if someone else plays them they will still be massively easy to tell apart but they might sound slightly different to when I played them due to technique. Which definitely won’t be a patch in mine. Lol. 

As far as I know, I’ve always loved graphite basses for their consistency and feel. I’ve also always seen Smith basses as having the ‘ultimate’ slap sound. It’s taken me about 10 years to get one. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hellzero: And I used to have 3 Alfa 33.

Heard once, that this is the car that you can hear rust while driving in rain. Sad but true...

I knew that my answer may raise eyebrows. I just pointed out that the ultimate unit is related to its time, too. I do like Clevinger, the Finnish handmade fretless, and both Vigier Passions. And every now and then some others.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1