Why become a member? ×

*SOLD* Vigier Arpege 1 Fretless 5 £850
£1300

ped

Price drop to £850

32200744173_171f9d39c0_k.jpg

Hi guys

I'm having a bit of a clear out and consolidating some gear which doesn't get used enough.

This is one of the best fretless basses I've had, but I don't play it enough - so given my current financials I have to let it go. I'll need to keep tabs on it so I can maybe buy it back one day!

So here it is - a very rare series 1 Vigier Arpege fretless. Built before they started using/recording serial numbers properly but estimated to be around 1985. 

This is the first series made by Patrice Vigier, before they started experimenting with Carbon necks. Instead, the neck has a brass laminate running along under the fingerboard for rigidity, as well as a truss rod. Although the bass lives in a hard case in the office, my wooden necked basses occasionally need adjustment for seasonal variations - but this never does. I've literally tuned it once. 

Most of the hardware is Vigier's own; the bridge in particular is an interesting design. The pickups are made for Vigier by Benedetti. They're single coils and very powerful. They have an unusual 'tabletop' shape which looks great.

The pre-amp is very unusual, consisting of a master vol with pull boost, series/parallel switch which actually processes some useful sounds, a boost/cut knob married to a Q filter and a passive tone. Also a pickup switch (front, middle, back) and a 'passive output' (Active output on the side of body)

I'm not actually sure of the body wood but similar basses at the time were made of Walnut. It's a neck through and very comfortable. 

You can hear it here (wait for the fretless to cut in) where I'm suing the rear pickup only for that really tight bumpy growl, which this bass excels at. With both pickups it has a very open and warm sound. 

It comes without a case unfortunately but I would prefer to meet the buyer anyway at somewhere convenient. I'm in York but happy to travel to meet. The train to London is quick and easy, and/or I wan meet somewhere along the M1. My parents are in Oxford so it could be an excuse to see them, too. So I'm very flexible.

Weight: 4.8kg (approx, bathroom scales!)

Nut width: 41m

Spacing: 15/16mm

Strings: Elixir 'Super Light'

Setup: Super low

Strplocks: Marvel, strap side included

Let me know if you have any questions or would like to try it. I'm in no rush so happy to wait for the right buyer!

Cheers

Chris

IMG_1152.jpeg

IMG_1158.jpeg

IMG_1156.jpeg

IMG_1154.jpeg

IMG_1159.jpeg

IMG_1160.jpeg

IMG_1162.jpeg

IMG_1163.jpeg

IMG_1164.jpeg

IMG_1166.jpeg

IMG_1167.jpeg

IMG_1168.jpeg

32200748413_a83c2ebb49_k.jpg

32634148320_816ee4bccb_k.jpg

33016135555_14fb53b9e9_k.jpg

• Like 7

Bonne chance pour ta vente, mec.

Très bon prix pour une très bonne et très rare basse.

Juste un plus de précision dans le jeu sans les frettes et tout sera parfait.

Next time, I'll write in German or Italian.

6 minutes ago, ped said:

شكرا لك يمكن أن أتكلم كل لغة من أي وقت مضى

Mit Google ist es einfach, aber ich spreche wirklich Deutsch, Englisch, Französisch und auch Italienisch.

Back to the tracks, the under layer is not brass, but already Patrice Vigier Delta Metal.

And those early wooden necks Vigier are the best ones.

Too bad you can't ask it in Gaumais and it's missing a string for me.

Are you sure your donkey is also named Gary ?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Back to the tracks, the under layer is not brass, but already Patrice Vigier Delta Metal.

And those early wooden necks Vigier are the best ones.

Too bad you can't ask it in Gaumais and it's missing a string for me.

Are you sure your donkey is also named Gary ?

I’ve never actually known what ‘delta metal’ consists of but I thought it was a brass mix of some sort. 

Just now, Hellzero said:

Erm, Chris, are you sure about the weight of this one : 6.2 kilos, even my heavier 6 strings didn't get any higher that 5.5 kilos !?!

I'm starting to suspect my scales are crap. Will see if I can try some others.

4 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Erm, Chris, are you sure about the weight of this one : 6.2 kilos, even my heavier 6 strings didn't get any higher that 5.5 kilos !?!

Just used my kitchen scales, 4.8kg :)