Why become a member? ×

Bad bass review

fiatcoupe432

22 hours ago, PawelG said:

Now you got me interested.

Or is it a pick playing that you do?

Oh, you were  serious? I thought you were having a laugh.  

Yes, I use a pick. Most bass reviewers don’t demonstrate pick playing so I can’t realy get an idea of how a bass sounds for me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Oh, you were  serious? I thought you were having a laugh.  

Yes, I use a pick. Most bass reviewers don’t demonstrate pick playing so I can’t realy get an idea of how a bass sounds for me. 

I was having a laugh and then I was serious 🙂

I once e-mailed Mark at BD on this topic. Whilst I'm indifferent about the playing in the demos, I found that the 3 Leaf audio interface they used for a while tended to make everything sound samey. Even 'character' basses like a Rick or Alembic. They all sounded mid-rangey, with a pronounced presence. Not unpleasant as such but stripping each bass of its inherent character is absolutely what you don't want in a sample video - which I think these are, more than reviews as such.

Edited by visog

listening to any demos on youtube is fairly pointless, it's what it sounds like in a band context that matters, assuming that's what you want it for, for instance I saw a band the other day, when the bass player was setting up his amp it sounded fine but when he played with the band the E string was booming and it disappeared into the mix on the d string

Edited by PaulWarning

12 hours ago, Delberthot said:

I've noticed a lot of players using that really crooked right wrist technique with the hand bent right back on Youtube videos - surely that's just asking for trouble years down the line? 

Another example here:

That does look uncomfortable & it is awkward for me to do (I just tried it), but then I do the involentary "square pinky" when I'm playing.  No idea why & I don't feel any discomfort.

3 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

listening to any demos on youtube is fairly pointless, it's what it sounds like in a band context that matters, assuming that's what you want it for, for instance I saw a band the other day, when the bass player was setting up his amp it sounded fine but when he played with the band the E string was booming and it disappeared into the mix on the d string

Of course that the context is very important... but to say that you can't judge anything from listening to it alone is just not right. 

You can't tell *everything* from listening to a bass in isolation, but you do get a lot of information. Furthermore, with experience, you develop an ability to 'educatedly guess' how a certain bass sound would or would not work in a band situation. 

It's not a black or white thing. 

• Like 1

If the thumbnail image of a Youtube video shows the right thumb anywhere near the end of the neck then they get right to feck. I don't play like that and to be honest how many of us make a living slapping all night, or even at all?

The same goes for 'tasteful' chords and other such nonsense.

Play the bass like a real person would play it - that is about 99% of us who either play with fingers or plectrum. Play a riff that allows us to hear the notes rather than sounding like you've fallen down the stairs with the bass in your hands, give us variation between playing near the bridge and moving towards the neck.

We don't need a million notes, we don't need to hear your chops - if you want to do all your w@nky pish then do it on another video - you're meant to be showing us what the bass sounds like, not showing off. Show us what the controls do and how they sound in different positions

It's really not difficult at all

And breathe 🤪