Why become a member? ×

Bad bass review

fiatcoupe432

Hi guys I'm not a judgemental type of person (quiet the opposite in fact ) but I need to let this out ! 

Everytime i watch a bass review video of the guys at bassdirect 

I'm amazing on how rubbish the players are ( I'm not amazing , good or better ) but if I owned a shop with same reputation as bassdirect I would definitely make sure that the person who review play the instrument they know what they are doing ! Every bass in they hands sounds bad that put me off into buying from them . I know it's silly but camon .....

I’ve not really watched any tbh. I will say though that Mark is an excellent player.

Personally I’ve never really seen the point in videos like that. It’ll sound different anyway when you play it, you’ll be playing through your amp, your choice of strings and set up. All it shows is how Marcus or whoever sounds when videoed on an iPhone, uploaded onto YouTube and listened back to on a phone, laptop or tablet.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, fiatcoupe432 said:

Hi guys I'm not a judgemental type of person (quiet the opposite in fact ) but I need to let this out ! 

Everytime i watch a bass review video of the guys at bassdirect 

I'm amazing on how rubbish the players are ( I'm not amazing , good or better ) but if I owned a shop with same reputation as bassdirect I would definitely make sure that the person who review play the instrument they know what they are doing ! Every bass in they hands sounds bad that put me off into buying from them . I know it's silly but camon .....

Are you listening through decent headphones/speakers?

Just about everything sounds terrible coming through phone or tablet speakers and bass most of all.

26 minutes ago, la bam said:

Always amazes me why they don't demo the bass guitar or amps alongside a drummer/drum machine or band.

Who plays bass solo?

This.

Only way to know if the bass works for me is to have it at home and do some recording with it and take it (yes very carefully) to a band rehearsal.

A lovely sound on its own in the shop means nothing to me.

I feel like some vids are a little sloppy (not that I could do better) but it's also due to the way it's been recorded, I think. For ages they only came out of one channel. Surely got to be worth setting up a more pro recording area for demos. However I do prefer the more groove playing demos to the super fast and/or upper fret melodic show-off type things put out by many others. 

I don't think the demos are pointless at all, they give you a real good idea what the bass sounds like. The vids are hit and miss, some recorded really quietly and others out of phase or something, but this is an OK one that gives a good idea of the sound. You can, at least, her the characterising 'plink' of the G string (especially at the end)

1 hour ago, TheGreek said:

Example???

i just think they could have been made more professional . at the beggining i didnt know if something is wrong with my laptop . 

this is just an example , i know its serve is purpose but if i had to spend 3k on a bass ( which i wouldnt be able to go and try ) this woudnt sell it to me 

3 hours ago, fiatcoupe432 said:

i just think they could have been made more professional . at the beggining i didnt know if something is wrong with my laptop . 

this is just an example , i know its serve is purpose but if i had to spend 3k on a bass ( which i wouldnt be able to go and try ) this woudnt sell it to me 

Totally off topic; sorry 😊. Isn’t that an absolutely beautiful instrument?

7 hours ago, ped said:

I don't think the demos are pointless at all

Perhaps 'pointless' was a bit harsh. It's certainly good to hear the basses. I just wish we could hear a bit more, maybe from other players in some different style. The old 'tone is in the fingers' wheeze is certainly true of Marcus!

• Haha 1