Why become a member? ×

Sadowsky chambered body.

ianrendall

Well it’s looks like my dream of owning a new factory ordered Sadowsky isn’t going to happen. The ridiculous cost of getting a new Satin to the UK is an astronomical £1200! On top of the cost of the bass!

With that in mind, I will be shopping around for a used NYC around the £2500 mark. 

My question is this: when did Sadowsky start chambering their bodies to save weight? Have they always done it? The used 2004 NYC for sale at Bass Direct comes in at 9lb which suggests it isn’t chambered, although I might be wrong. 

Edited by ianrendall

I've been playing a Metro for a couple of years and there is only one drawback. The weight is slightly more than I'm comfortable with. So I've been on the lookout for a chambered NYC.

Last week I finally played one in Guitar Guitar Epsom and I didn't like the sound. It just wasn't as full or punchy as my Metro. I need to take the Metro in and do a direct comparison but that has put me off. I've also tried other Metros and haven't liked the sound as much as mine. What's the polar opposite of a Friday bass? Whatever it is, I think I've got one.

I own a non chambered Metro four string and a chambered NYC five string. The Metro is not a heavy bass by any means. I literally cannot imagine a situation where I would need a lighter four string bass. My NYC is 2009 or so and it is chambered.

I think that the clambering started in the mid to late 2000s. Join Talkbass and ask a question on Sadowsky thread and you will get an answer, perhaps even from Roger Sadowsky himself. 

There are usually a few NYCs on the BC marketplace, so keep an eye out and you can get a used NYC at the cost of a new Metro. 

8 minutes ago, chris_b said:

So what is the comparison between the sound of your Metro and your chambered NYC?

In terms of sound very similar. The Metro has the hum cancelling pick ups, the NYC has true single coils. In the mix there isn’t much difference (other than the NYC has a low B). To my ears Metro is a bit more aggressive and modern sounding, though this is probably because whoever originally ordered my NYC wanted a more vintage sounding bass. 

The NYC is a bit more ‘bling’ with more flame and figuring. In terms of general fit and finish they are the same, other than my NYC has smaller lower profile vintage frets, the Metro has fairly chunky higher profile frets. 

I wouldn’t sell either of them! The Metro gets played more, simply because it has been my main bass since 2009 and I only got the NYC in 2016 and haven’t used it in my bands yet.