Why become a member? ×

Headphone Heaven

So, my old headphones finally went kaput. To be fair, they had served me very well over many years, but I was more than a little disappointed when the headband snapped as I was quite attached to them. They were light, comfortable and sounded quite good - or so I thought.

I then set about looking for a new set. I use headphones quite a lot listening to music on the desktop and also for mixing audio for videos, so I wanted something fairly decent. I stumbled across a review for a particular make which I thought were a bit overpriced for headphones, but other similarly positive reviews drew me further in. So much so, that I kind of justified in my mind buying a set of the MKIII version, even though the price point was £300+. On the off chance, I thought I would look on eBay and see if I could shave a bit off that price. I managed to find the set pictured, which are the MKVI’s and retail at £550, for the same price as the MKIII’s. The bonus was the seller was close to me and agreed we could meet up so I could try them first. They also came with the 3m extension (£65 apparently).

Anyway, I picked them up yesterday. I must admit, I always thought this hi-if geek stuff was a bit Emperor’s New Clothes. I now stand corrected. These headphones are unbelievably articulate. I’m hearing music that I’ve listened to thousands of times through various systems in a whole new light. I’m just dumbfounded at how good they are.

This is them. Final Audio Sonorous VI. If you’re looking for a new pair, the Sonorous range starts about £260. I can’t recommend them highly enough.

B6150D29-F4A2-4396-935E-FAABC7F445FF.jpeg

52 minutes ago, mikel said:

Nice, but for £550 list I would expect them to make me a cup of tea and plump my cushions before I sit down to listen. :D

Yes, I wouldn’t have stretched that far, but £330 for £615 worth of kit seemed like a good deal to me. It does make you wonder what improvement there can be in their top of the line £3,500.00 sets though. I don’t think I’ll ever get to find out 😀