Why become a member? ×

Ashdown RM Evo Cabs

stewblack

They`re very good. I`ve had the 210/115/112/410/610. Sold (or selling) them all.

So if I rate them that highly why offload, well simply I bought loads of various cabs/amps etc to get the right set-up for me, and now that I`ve established that have moved on anything not needed. My main reason for moving the RMs on and keeping my ABMs is the metal grills on the ABMs, more hard-wearing for being in the back of a van on tour. Plus OCD - dreadful I know but it is a factor, I like my cabs to match my amp.

So onto the RMs themselves, well they sound great which is the main thing, and handle some serious volume. And they`re light/easy to cart about which is another plus-point. If I were in a covers band with my cab(s) only ever going into my car I`d have a full RM set-up, but the size of stages we sometimes play and the back-of-van tours have sent me down the ABM route. But once I`m out of this type of band it will be RM all the way for me, you really have to get on a huge stage to tell the difference in the sound between the RMs and ABMs and that to me is probably the best compliment I can make about the RM range.

• Like 1

I have the ABM 410 also and have received compliments on it. They are birch ply, I believe. The RM cabinets are currently lighter poplar ply and they now have a 15/tweeter cabinet that I fancy . It is barely 19" square on the front and less than 14" deep ! At about 35 lbs. or less this is a cabinet that almost carries itself ! Does it sound good, using two cabinets ?  Otherwise Ashdown make an ABM 210 I could dig. Those blue speakers look good to me.

8 hours ago, grenadillabama said:

I have the ABM 410 also and have received compliments on it. They are birch ply, I believe. The RM cabinets are currently lighter poplar ply and they now have a 15/tweeter cabinet that I fancy . It is barely 19" square on the front and less than 14" deep ! At about 35 lbs. or less this is a cabinet that almost carries itself ! Does it sound good, using two cabinets ?  Otherwise Ashdown make an ABM 210 I could dig. Those blue speakers look good to me.

I've had ABM cabs that were MDF. A 410 and Compact 115. Mark Gooday confirmed to me some ABM cabs were MDF... I felt cheated, still sounded great tho.

Outside, companies will switch back and forth , whether ply or MDF. Older Rootmasters were MDF and it is fine unless it is dropped out of a van or rained upon.  It is usually heavier. The nicest KEF or Moniter Audio sterio speakers are MDF and covered with wood veneer. -But they don't get moved much ! I have some MDF Ampeg cabinets and now Ampeg uses wood ply. No one yet has said RM cabinets sound better than the beloved ABM models.

11 hours ago, grenadillabama said:

No one yet has said RM cabinets sound better than the beloved ABM models.

No, they are after all a lesser priced cab, but they do sound good, and the sound isn`t that much different to the ABMs, certainly at rehearsal/pub gig volumes. It`s on the bigger stages where I suspect that the ABMs will then come into their own.

• Like 1

I have one of the RM 1x12 cabs that I use for rehearsals and quiet jamming with friends, I picked it up used locally for £50 and it was in very good condition, it's a huge amount of cab for what I paid for it. I've no idea what it's made from but I'm not too concerned anyway 😀. It's an easy one hand carry, 10-12 KG's at a guess. 

Soundwise, it has a bit of a mid range bias compared to my realitively flat sounding Tecamp 2x12, so it isn't the sexiest sounding cab when it's just the bass in isolation. But it makes perfect sense in a band situation.

Mine is 8 ohm, 300 watts, I think. I power it with a Genzler Magellan 350 and it will easily keep up with our drummer and keys player at a moderate volume rehearsal. I set the volume on the amp between 8 and 9 o'clock, apply a touch of compression and HPF and the cab works just fine. 

My only concern, as someone mentioned earlier, is the grill cloth seems a little flimsy, a metal grill would give me additional peace of mind but also add to the cost and weight. But if you're careful with your gear it shouldn't be a problem. 

Thanks for all the info folks. Since going lightweight I love the lack of back pain and the sound quality. 

However, being of a certain age, I do miss the physical presence of an old fashioned bass rig. I have been toying with the idea of two RM 4X10 Evo Cabs. 

Still just toying right now.