Why become a member? ×

NAD - Now with Thermionic Emission

Woodinblack

So this turned up today - Literally, its previous owner drove down from Bristol to bring it to me, which was nice.

Obviously, as can be seen from the picture it is an Ashdown CTM100, and equally obviously as I got it today, I don't know really what it is like.

IMG_4984.thumb.jpg.48551c4cdb891625f0b082c87ada7d24.jpg

A few initial impressions, it isn't as heavy as I thought it would be, its a shame it has jack sockets for the speakers instead of the speakons on the CTM300.

and mostly, WTF is going on with the power switches. So it has a green button which is lit all the time, but switched on if it is up, and a red button, which isn't lit, but is on if it is down. I am sure that isn't normal.

Anyway, will play around the house with it, but won't really find out what it is like there, but I have a gig at one of the regular pubs on friday, and I know what my amp sounds like there, so I will take this along and see what I can get out of it

• Like 2

I spent some quality time in the late evening with it yesterday, at really low volumes. I was amazed at how well it handles the sort of volume you can play in the living room at 23:00 with someone in bed upstairs - much better than the little ashdown mibass upstairs with its fan and hard to adjust volume.

Sounds so good. The tone control is very responsive. I still don't understand what it does yet, but it certainly responds to you changing it!

- oh and the power is ok, the guy selling to me confused me, and the fact the light is on whether it is on or off.

Edited by Woodinblack

OK, gigged tonight, doesn't go as loud as the TC goes, and certainly not near the volume clean, but it sure does dirty well! Also the sound is very.. I don't know, alive I guess. Certainly wasn't disappointed by it, and It is loud enough for the group (although only just and we weren't our loudest tonight) so it is a keeper.