Why become a member? ×

£30 Special - 70's Japanese Matsumoku goodness..

Bridgehouse

I picked up a bass recently from another forum. It's an Epiphone ET-280. Short scale, twin single coil pickups. 

It fits into the odd period post Kalamazoo when Epiphones were rare, and made in Japan, before the big surge in production in the late 80's in Korea then eventually China. 

This is late 70's Matsumoku. It's not top drawer quality wise, but serviceable. 

£30 you say? Yep. But to be fair, it's going to need some work on it:

rHlCbu5.jpg

8CZS2R5.jpg

EB5l4Zq.jpg

KBAZma2.jpg

• Like 4

Let's get the obvious bit out of the way - the electronics. Someone has replaced the neck pickup with a Jazz Neck pickup. Not the end of the world, but it's going to have to go. So - I need a neck pickup cover. Anyone got a spare? @AndyTravis any ideas where I might get one from?

The bridge pickup is a bit wrecked,  but at least it can be rewound if necessary..

Dcvb3ek.jpg

3izfIAO.jpg

nMwrKhv.jpg

The electronics will be the big challenge. 

Probably 2 replacement pickups (one rewound) and a new neck pickup cover..

Pickguard was really grubby and had probably 40 years of grime on it.

It's clear and painted black on the bottom with the epiphone logo stuck on. It's split, but glue will fix it fine. Virtuoso magic also worked on this:

ETiBr9a.jpg

And as a set of raw components, they look fine and are worth £30 of anyone's money...

SG3pxx1.jpg

• Like 1

I recognise these basses, a mate of mine had one back in the day. He went straight from that to a John Birch custom job.

I don't think either of the pickups are original, not just the neck pickup. I am racking my brains to summon up a mental picture of the pickups on his. I want to say they were an unusual shape, not rectangular. When my memory functions I will get back to you.

2 minutes ago, songofthewind said:

I recognise these basses, a mate of mine had one back in the day. He went straight from that to a John Birch custom job.

I don't think either of the pickups are original, not just the neck pickup. I am racking my brains to summon up a mental picture of the pickups on his. I want to say they were an unusual shape, not rectangular. When my memory functions I will get back to you.

Covers are definitely original, as is the bridge pickup:

Vintage-Early-70s-Epiphone-ET-280-Electr

But Epiphone did do some other models with different pickup configs..

Just now, songofthewind said:

Yeah, the pickups in the picture above this post looks different to my friend's. I'm fairly sure they were trapezoidal, and black. Does it weigh a ton, by any chance?

Funnily enough, no.. it's really light. The body is ridiculously light. Almost Obeche light...

1 minute ago, songofthewind said:

Then my memory is failing me!

There was, I think, a Strat style six string version. Maybe the trapezoidal pickups appeared on those. It's like it's on the tip of my tongue!

Weird to see one of these again.

Yes, the Strat 6 string one (ET-270) had black trapezoid covers :)

13 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

What about a viola bass pickup, the Epiphone ones?

I think no matter which option I go for, given the neck rout and pickguard butchery, if I don't replace the neck cover then I'll need to have a new pickguard cut. 

Which may not be a bad thing.. but I'll have a scour around the net first to see if I can get hold of a cover - if I do then pretty much anything that fits will work