Why become a member? ×

Yoko Ono releases new version of John Lennon's Imagine

Newfoundfreedom

On October 10, 2018 at 13:55, TheGreek said:

I thought that she was the most hated person on the planet....how does she have 24k subscribers?

As I recall, when Yoko slithered onto the scene, not a few people wondered what her art was about: white spaces, white-painted picture frames with--wait for it--sheets of blank white paper in them. She certainly seemed to have put the 'temporary' into 'contemporary.' However, it didn't seem odd (to me, at least) that Lennon went for her. First, who can tell what anyone's thinking? and second, he seemed to be plenty sick of the Beatles by then. He and Ono were the odd couple, but also made for each other. But what a joke most of it seemed.

I'm quite surprised by the amount of vitriol directed at Yoko Ono and this version of Imagine :)  It has a kind of delicate frailty, like it's just holding together. It's not technically great of course, but that's the whole point isn't it? - Human frailty, old age (she's 85), a world going down the tubes where the sentiment in the song seems further away than ever, a message to her dead husband on his birthday, the pop melody of a multi million selling song reduced to bare bones, etc.  I thought it was quite strange and touching.  I must be getting old :)

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, tedmanzie said:

I'm quite surprised by the amount of vitriol directed at Yoko Ono and this version of Imagine :)  It has a kind of delicate frailty, like it's just holding together. It's not technically great of course, but that's the whole point isn't it? - Human frailty, old age (she's 85), a world going down the tubes where the sentiment in the song seems further away than ever, a message to her dead husband on his birthday, the pop melody of a multi million selling song reduced to bare bones, etc.  I thought it was quite strange and touching.  I must be getting old :)

Oddly enough, I had another listen and yes, it hurt my ears, but I think you have made a few decent points there.

I must be getting old as well. :D

• Like 1

News to very few of you, but I, for one, share the sentiments in the song, and feel very comfortable with the notion of sharing the World, with no countries, no religion, no possessions, no hunger, no greed. I'll like as not not see the day, of course, and some may say I'm a dreamer, but I'll do my (tiny...) bit along that stony path. As for the video clip, I've heard worse, much worse. Will I buy it..? Nah. B|

• Like 2

I too like "the song". Despite it's detractors I think it's lyrically great, if somewhat cheesy by today's cynical standards. 

However, what I don't buy into is the arty farty mentality that seems to surround this version of the song (at least if the YouTube comments are anything to go by)

It's kind of like dropping a massive dump on a piece of canvas and calling it "art". 

Sometimes sh#t is just plain sh#t, no matter how much glitter you throw on it. 

I still wonder what's that switch this woman flipped inside John Lennon to have him be her pet. After her it was all downhill for him, like sketchy musical outcome, alienation from Julian (save for the "lost weekend", BTW, his most productive post-Beatles period, connected with lots of top cats and recorded whole diversity of stuff), then getting secluded for some years to raise Sean on his own (Yoko gave up any task as soon as the poor child was born). It's sort of sad. IDK, I often re-read the Playboy interview and what's splashed all around is the smell of a pretty fake guy that not only is a big b/s'er (some of his own and some with Yoko's script writing contribution), but who also seems to firmly believe his own b/s. The kind of thing "intellectual inbreeding" (contact with few people and mutually reinforcing/feeding back of some ideas or doctrines to extremes) does to an already emotionally abducted person's brain. The most repulsive part is probably where he's like "Julian's still my son but Sean's first" (not literally but along that "morale"), as a father that's really f*ed up to me. I definitely think Yoko would still be anonymous (as she deserves, based on her own lack of merit) if she hadn't been so skilled at manipulating the guy for so long. No, she didn't break up the Beatles, listen to the music, they simply weren't a musical (nor personal) turn on for each other anymore. With some less important storms along the way it all came apart; but those storms were not only Yoko, it was also management/production/corporate disagreements. Yoko was just one more mishap along the path to the Beatles' end.

The mishap, as explained by Bill Burr (I 100% subscribe)

Edited by andruca
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...