Why become a member? ×

Yoko Ono releases new version of John Lennon's Imagine

Newfoundfreedom

On October 11, 2018 at 02:56, Austin7 said:

"Imagine" may be the worst song John Lennon ever wrote.  Yet here we are still talking about it.  It takes attention away from all the other great songs he wrote.  That includes just about any John Lennon song that isn't "Imagine."  The other John Lennon song I can't stand is "You Know My Name (Look Up the Number."  It's probably even worse than "Imagine" if that is even possible.  I'm somewhat of a Beatles fan, but that doesn't mean I'm delusional.  Yes, Paul, George and Ringo also had some awful songs, especially in their solo careers.  I mostly try to focus on the ones I like, though.  

I thought I was alone in thinking "Imagine" wasn't Lennon's "top of the pops" tune.

19 minutes ago, Wylie said:

I thought I was alone in thinking "Imagine" wasn't Lennon's "top of the pops" tune.

Generally speaking big hits are not the best of anyone's  work, high initial impact but soon get tiresome or maybe it's  just that we hear them a lot 

11 hours ago, Austin7 said:

You're welcome.  😊

It's always interesting to read stuff by people who were close to the Beatles and who weren't caught up in the wave of mindless adulation. Ray Connolly's always good value; on the other hand we get people like Hunter Davies who - though he's written a lot of other stuff - seems to have made a career out of ceaselessly banging on about the lovable mop-tops. Any time there's a Beatles' documentary up pops Hunter.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2018 at 07:56, Austin7 said:

"Imagine" may be the worst song John Lennon ever wrote..  

Can't go along with that, may not be his best by a distance, but worst? don't think so, he wrote some real stinkers after the Beatles split

Edited by PaulWarning
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

Can't go along with that, may not be his best by a distance, but worst? don't think so, he wrote some real stickers after the Beatles split

How very true. When he released the execrable Double Fantasy the critics were queuing up to lambast him; the negative reviews were all set to drop when Lennon died whereupon some publishers (inc the NYT, Rolling Stone) either held them back or spiked them out of 'respect'. 

Of Lennon's 11 solo albums perhaps only two are any good, one being the Imagine album and the other being Rock 'n' Roll which was all covers and a sort-of contractual obligation album. The rest are either un-listenable or drab. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

How very true. When he released the execrable Double Fantasy the critics were queuing up to lambast him; the negative reviews were all set to drop when Lennon died whereupon some publishers (inc the NYT, Rolling Stone) either held them back or spiked them out of 'respect'. 

Of Lennon's 11 solo albums perhaps only two are any good, one being the Imagine album and the other being Rock 'n' Roll which was all covers and a sort-of contractual obligation album. The rest are either un-listenable or drab. 

Whether it was the worst or not, it did seem to get an unusual amount of unmerited attention.  Not only are the lyrics ludicrous utopian nonsense but the melody is unusually boring for a John Lennon song.  All the Beatles had trouble being ex-Beatles, though.  However, George Harrison noted that he would rather be an ex-Beatle than an ex-Nazi.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

Can't go along with that, may not be his best by a distance, but worst? don't think so, he wrote some real stinkers after the Beatles split

Agreed. That's why I enquired earlier as to why it was the worst song. The actual tune is not a stinker, lyrically maybe not a gem, but hook wise it does the job.

There are a couple of decent covers knocking around as well (IMO of course).

2 hours ago, lowdown said:

Agreed. That's why I enquired earlier as to why it was the worst song. The actual tune is not a stinker, lyrically maybe not a gem, but hook wise it does the job.

There are a couple of decent covers knocking around as well (IMO of course).

If not the worst, then it's at least his weakest song that has got the most acclaim.  However, it doesn't bother me at all if people like any song by a Beatle more than I do since I've been a Beatles fan for a long time.  If you tried to pick out the worst song any of them did after the band broke up, though, that would be difficult.  Because there have been many lackluster songs to choose from.  But as a band I think they were great.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, gjones said:

I love this video of John Lennon and Chuck Berry. Especially the bit where the sound engineer switches off Yoko Ono's microphone, as soon as she starts wailing.

the look on Chuck's face when he first hears Yoko's input at 1:19 is worth a look.

Macca having Linda in Wings looks almost sensible at the side of Yoko doing vocals, what was Lennon thinking?

• Like 1

Yoko Ono can apparently do whatever she likes - when you have vast wealth you'll always be able to surround yourself with fawning admirers who wouldn't dream of telling you how exquisitely awful your 'art' is.

And Yoko certainly isn't the first:

1. FLORENCE FOSTER JENKINS

Florence Foster Jenkins was born in 1868 and made recordings in the first half of the 20th century. She wanted to be an opera singer from an early age, but was discouraged by her parents and later by her husband. Yet she still pined for the stage, and after filing for a divorce and securing an inheritance from her father, she set out to build her career. She performed a handful of concerts in New York, Washington, and Newport, where the audience was filled with loyal friends who encouraged her to pursue her dreams, as well as curious music lovers who felt compelled to witness the carnage.

Jenkins could neither sing on key nor keep a rhythm, yet she loved performing, and her recitals included a number of elaborate costumes. Later called "The Diva of Din," she shrugged off laughter from the audience and less-than-stellar reviews, attributing them to jealousy. There is no evidence that Jenkins ever gave less than her best efforts. Many who knew the charming musician refused to discourage her as she led her deluded but happy life as a famous opera singer.

Jenkins avoided Carnegie Hall for most of her life, but finally booked it in October 1944 when she was 76 years old. Tickets sold out weeks before the show, and she was enshrined as the worst singer to ever play the venue. She died a month later, still oblivious to the mocking reality behind her fame.

image.thumb.png.72e8ca507d1c1d32d8b38ee9e7a31f1f.png

her paintings not selling well then ?

Have you ever seen the plastic ono band live ? i had the dvd and its the funnyst thing ever, the shocked WTF look on eric claptons face when she is sitting under a white sheet moaning is priceless. I'm with you eric, WTF indeed, you should booted her off the stage while you had the chance, im sure you will always regret that.😜

Mods..... the new smiles are rubbish, bring back the old ones

2 hours ago, funkgod said:

her paintings not selling well then ?

Have you ever seen the plastic ono band live ? i had the dvd and its the funnyst thing ever, the shocked WTF look on eric claptons face when she is sitting under a white sheet moaning is priceless. I'm with you eric, WTF indeed, you should booted her off the stage while you had the chance, im sure you will always regret that.😜

Mods..... the new smiles are rubbish, bring back the old ones

Old ones are still there, funkgod. :biggrin::D:lol:

Once you have found them and used them, they stay at the top of the menu under ‘recently used’.

‘The Yoko Motion’  (I think it has been posted before).

Edited by lowdown

2 hours ago, funkgod said:

...Mods..... the new smiles are rubbish, bring back the old ones

They're still there, but you have to go get 'em, using the Menu selection 'Categories/Default' (and I agree; they would be better as 'Default', but... whatever...).

VII4Xujm.jpg

Edited by Dad3353

14 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

They're still there, but you have to go get 'em, using the Menu selection 'Categories/Default' (and I agree; they would be better as 'Default', but... whatever...).

yee harrrr, cheers dad and lowdown, sorry im a bit of a tectwit

14 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

• Haha 1