Why become a member? ×

Anyone had a body made for a stock neck?

fretmeister

I'm thinking of my lightweight needs.

My favourite 5 string neck is the Stingray 5 neck. Alas even the new ones are going to be heavier than I want.

My existing one is 8.6 lb, mainly because I've replaced the pickups, ripped out the preamp, and cut a load of wood out from under the 'plate. But I wouldn't want to do that to a new instrument.

So I'm thinking about getting another Ray 5, taking it apart and keeping the body safe for future re-assembly and sale if necessary. (Or maybe just getting a Status MM5 neck - depending on the profile)

Then having a lightweight body built to go with the neck. I've always thought the Ray 5 body was unnecessarily thick, and it could be chambered too.

Doesn't even have to exactly the same shape as long as the balance is right.

Anyone done this? If so - which builder did you use?

ta

It's a long shot at being able to buy everything in one combines transaction, but I'm assuming that you don't want to switch from a StingRay 5? 

If it was me, I'd experiment a bit rather than buying another S5 and breaking it up.  I'd check the profile of a Status MM5 neck first to ensure I was 100% happy with that, then probably try and create something Frankensteinesquely unique.  If money is a consideration, I'd go the route of buying a Tony Levin OLP or a Sterling and getting the chambering done on that; any luthier worth his salt should be able to rip the body down (from behind) to your desired depth, chamber from the underside and then glue in a new laminate on the back so the aesthetics aren't changed visually from the front and refinish.  I suppose then, the hurdles you're going to have to get over thereafter would be body balance, what it would sound like tonally, whether it would resonate, whether the control cavitiy would be deep enough to contain the electronics, and so on.

Alternatively, just dispense with the low-B and buy a Thunderbird.  Seems that's what everyone is doing nowadays! :)

I hadn't thought about routing into the back of an existing body and then laminating over it. Nice idea!

I like the idea of a Status neck - but I *think* they are more of a D shape profile like their current neck shape for other models - those have quite obvious "shoulders" that I don't like.

I really need to get one in my hands to have a good feel of it.

I'm not fussed about aesthetics as long as the balance and weight are right. My existing much routed Ray balances fine - I removed the big plate tuners and put hipshot ultralights on it. But if a new body had a different shape then the top horn could be a bit longer too.

I;d love a thunderbird (well a Lull one anyway) - but I play in a Big Band and I use the low B all the time!

I have done this for a guitar - I had a Tele with a really nice neck but way too heavy.  I took the plunge and made a body myself from scratch, chambered mahogany with an Ash top, the second attempt turned out well : )

It may actually turn out to be quicker and easier to make a new body (or have one made) than to modify an existing one.  If it turns out too light, you could always add some weight in the cavity.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

How much more would a super light version of a stingray made by Jon Shuker be than buying s new stingray and then getting a new body made up? 

I wouldn't buy a new ray for this project.

I'd find a used one with a well battered body and good condition neck.

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

I hadn't thought about routing into the back of an existing body and then laminating over it. Nice idea!

I like the idea of a Status neck - but I *think* they are more of a D shape profile like their current neck shape for other models - those have quite obvious "shoulders" that I don't like.

I really need to get one in my hands to have a good feel of it.

I'm not fussed about aesthetics as long as the balance and weight are right. My existing much routed Ray balances fine - I removed the big plate tuners and put hipshot ultralights on it. But if a new body had a different shape then the top horn could be a bit longer too.

I;d love a thunderbird (well a Lull one anyway) - but I play in a Big Band and I use the low B all the time!

BEAD?

To everyone's relief, especially MrsAndyjr1515's, I can up front declare myself out of the running to help in any actual building or modding way - I have more projects on the go already than is good for me - but yes...all of the above are valid options.

You can:

• Chamber under a pickguard (actually, doesn't take out a lot of weight)
  • Chamber from the back and cover with a dummy control chamber cover (again, surprisingly doesn't take out as much weight as you would expect
  • Chamber from the back or front and hide it under a veneer or paint refinish (you can get a decent amount of weight out but have a look at the above thread of Harry's Harley to see just how much wood has to go!)
  • Have a new body built with lighter woods and chambering 
  • Take thickness off the back (some basses have unnecessarily thick bodies) and veneer / refinish.  This can take out a quite a bit of weight
  • Have a thru-neck slimline and chambered lightweight designed and built, asking the builder to replicate the profile of your favourite neck

And yes - done pretty much all of the above, either for my own use, or friends, or basschat members and other folks so I know they are all feasible.

The only thing I would say, though, is that a Stingray 5 neck is VERY heavy!  I can't remember where the strap button sits on a Stingray 5, but if it is any further back than level with the 12th/13th fret, then a neck diving result is a definite possibility.

Hope this helps...

Andy