Why become a member? ×

Who uses a keyboard/midi controller at the centre of their studio setup?

Sibob

I use two. One weighted Keyboard for playing keyboard parts in (VSTI's) - A Yamaha P71 (88).

I also have a Nektar Panorama P4, which I use for all my parameter/automation controlling, along with CC#'s etc on Virtual Instruments.

The pads are also good for Percussion & Drums etc. All my Orchestral Instrument parts are played in with this as well. It's semi weighted, but I prefer it for the Single line Instruments.

I’ve got a Nord Electro for a keyboard, it’s on an underslung shelf as I don;t do a lot of keyboard work, I have an Avid S3 as my controller for protools, plus the Avid Control app running on an old iPad as an auto locator.

The S3 is very smart, puts a lot of the functionality of protools under hardware control, it’s a brilliant piece of work.

F7899821-5CC9-41F1-892B-4CEDDD8D142C.jpeg

Edited by WinterMute

• 1 month later...
On 10/10/2018 at 21:07, WinterMute said:

I’ve got a Nord Electro for a keyboard, it’s on an underslung shelf as I don;t do a lot of keyboard work, I have an Avid S3 as my controller for protools, plus the Avid Control app running on an old iPad as an auto locator.

The S3 is very smart, puts a lot of the functionality of protools under hardware control, it’s a brilliant piece of work.

F7899821-5CC9-41F1-892B-4CEDDD8D142C.jpeg

What is the 16-channel controller immediately on the desk?

Edited by JapanAxe

I use a little analogue Arturia 32 mainly for writing and accessing virtuals in Logic X. 

Brilliant controller for my purposes even if i sometimes don't use it on every track/idea.....Depends how i conceived the spark and what is the easiest to get an idea flowing, the Arturia, a bass or guitar even......

I have the amazing Novation Launch Key. I bought it because it will run direct on my iPad making a really compact synth or controller.

In my studio Of course like others it is for playing Virtual Instruments including of course drums.

I also love the wide range of other controllers on board too so I can start my DAW recording, I can adjust the mix and I can assign pads to do different jobs.

I do use Logic Remote a lot and I find that in conjunction with my Novation, I have a really slick environment that helps me get things done. 

Axiom Air 49 here.

Good quality.

Works pretty good with Logic. Has transport controls which are useful. Logic occasionally deletes its .bundle in the MIDI  devices folder, which is odd. It still works, but I lose the HyperControl functionality, and have to drag a copy of the .bundle back to the folder.

Roland A-800 Pro ..  

I use it for all music composition, playing my software instruments in Cubase 8. Works well, feels great. I have tried a fair few midi controllers, but this in my opinion has nicest quality "synth action" keybed of the lot , and overall looks very sleek and understated. It has the usual extras eg transport controls, sliders ,knobs, pads etc... most of which I do not use. I am very "old school" and still do everything with a mouse. Far too many controllers these days are just too "bling" and full of flashing lights and other "cool" features .. sadly I don't have a hipster beard so would not look right using one of those anyway. 

I also still have my little Alesis Q49 over there in the corner > . It's cheap and cheerful and has been like a comfy pair of musical slippers for me. I will not part with it as most of my (good?) ideas have been created using it.

Roland A800-Pro.jpg