Why become a member? ×

Your Favorite Bass Prevalent CD?

TripleB67

I have two. Plantation Lullabies (as was already mentioned on the previous page) but, if I have to choose, the first bass cd I ever got (present from my parents) and it's still my favourite.

Jaco-Pastorius-Birthday-Concert-400x400.

And if I have to pick an album not by a bass player... Hm... Want to pick something not so obvious. So here's an album on which Robbie Shakespeare is IMO at his absolute best:
TR1011.1-2.png?1510745611

Edited by BassAgent

Some good suggestions here, but my recommendation would be Hawkwind's "Space Ritual" live album.

Primus is a good suggestion, and anything with Steve DiGiorgio if you like heavy, heavy stuff. Om are an acquired taste, heavy again, but bass & drums duo.

Anything by Killing Joke, especially anything after 2003's self titled album, featuring a certain Dave Grohl. "Pylons" is a brilliant album.

Check out a band called Evil Blizzard, bass led/driven bonkersness, great stuff.

Sure there's more, but can't recall just now.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Probably this:

Bloody hell - not cutting our newbie any slack here.... or his Missus if they listen to this spicy enchilada in the car...

As well as your harmelodics above, I'd add Yes' Fragile to the sound mix and I think Drama's a good suggestion already made.

Rush-wise I'd go Moving Pictures for their best balance of songs, bass tone and musicianship.

And if Mr Tacuma doesn't open up your sound palette (if you can find it), I'd go with Jaco Pastorius' self-titled album with his inscrutable mug-shot on the cover.

The Best Disco Album in the World Ever! 

I had it on cassette. It's bass heaven.

Blood Sugar Sex Magic by the Red Hot Chilli Peppers. 

Any Hot Chocolate songs.

Some of the disco type songs that really groove sound complex then you realise they're only a couple of notes, so should be easy... Then you try to get the feel and timing and you discover where the magic is, it's not easy to recreate that timing and feel!

In the rock genre two I haven't seen mentioned yet are Muse and Dream Theatre are worth checking out.  Chris Wolfstenhome is very prominent in Muse's music and John Myung for DT has some great bass playing (look at Pull Mr Under, there's a couple of good bass play along videos on YouTube.

Outside of Rock check out Joe Dart in Vulfpeck - again very much at the forefront of their music (tracks like Beastly, Wait For The Moment and Lost My Treble).

Michael League of Snarky Puppy is another to check out.  As well as being the humble bass player he's the band leader and does a lot of the compositional work for their music - inspiring for me as it proves being a musician is not about the instrument you play.

Soul Coughing - Ruby Vroom, Irresistible Bliss and El Oso. Sebastian Steinberg on DB, very cool and paired with the drumming of a brilliant player like Yuval Gabay it is just a thing of beauty.

Cake - any album with Gabe Nelson. He plays, imho, some of the best bass lines in modern music and by best I don’t mean selfish show-off virtuosity, I mean song-serving restraint and a genuine sense of swing. Sometimes you hardly  notice the bass in Cake songs but when you analyse why you are digging it so much..? Gabe Nelson is the answer.

Japan - Gentleman Take Polaroids and Tin Drum. Mick Karn, fretless maverick and pastry artist, what’s not to like?

Killing Joke - any album with Paul Raven on bass, an underrated master of song-serving yet absolutely and fundamentally anchoring the foundation of the music.

Thanks @TheGreek for mentioning one of the greatest albums of all time, Handsworth Revolution by Steel Pulse, it’s simply a very beautifully crafted album, forty minutes of bliss. In the same vein I recommend Linton Kwesi Johnson’s Forces of Victory and Bass Culture, unparalleled restraint and great playing from Floyd Lawson and Vivian Weathers.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, visog said:

if Mr Tacuma doesn't open up your sound palette

It rewards repeated listening! Once I'd got Mr Tacuma's style it opened all sorts of bass possibilities for me; as teachers all you need is him, Bootsy and either Lemmy, Les Claypool or Bob Trujillo..

Talking of whom:

2 hours ago, PJ-Bassist said:

In the rock genre two I haven't seen mentioned yet are Muse and Dream Theatre are worth checking out.  Chris Wolfstenhome is very prominent in Muse's music and John Myung for DT has some great bass playing (look at Pull Mr Under, there's a couple of good bass play along videos on YouTube.

Outside of Rock check out Joe Dart in Vulfpeck - again very much at the forefront of their music (tracks like Beastly, Wait For The Moment and Lost My Treble).

Michael League of Snarky Puppy is another to check out.  As well as being the humble bass player he's the band leader and does a lot of the compositional work for their music - inspiring for me as it proves being a musician is not about the instrument you play.

The problem with DT (and i say this as a big fan) is that yoy can rarely hear the bass properly without really focussing, prevalent it is not.

Edited by Daz39