Why become a member? ×

Your Favorite Bass Prevalent CD?

TripleB67

1 hour ago, Daz39 said:

The problem with DT (and i say this as a big fan) is that yoy can rarely hear the bass properly without really focussing, prevalent it is not.

Was about to say the same. JM spends much of his DT time either doubling petrucci's lines or using so much distortion it's really hard to pick him out.  He's much more prominent in  'The Jelly jam' .

• Like 1

On 10/10/2018 at 04:50, dmccombe7 said:

If you are more into Rock albums with lyrics try Black Sabbath Heaven and Hell. Some great clear bass lines on there.  Dave

On 10/10/2018 at 05:05, Coilte said:

To get a real flavour of the bass work, it would be best to listen with ear phones

Working my way through the tremendous list everyone has posted...starting with the CDs I already own.

The combination of the two items above...listening to H&H through headphones...blew me away!!! 🤯

The bass on this entire CD is just so clear and amazing----I was in awe of the playing (and how much clearer and better it sounds when listening through headphones and just concentrating on the bass line)!!!

Cannot wait to listen to many of the other recommendation found here.....I think early Whitesnake will be my next listening experience!

TripleB67 

Edited by TripleB67

The first three Jamiroquai albums with Stuart Zender

The first half dozen by Tower of Power - fingerstyle funk at its finest by Rocco Prestia

any by Graham Central Station -if you want some heavy funk by the godfather of slap bass

the first two New Model Army - Stuart Morrow excelling with the plectrum

Sulk by The Associates - several great fast played basslines by Michael Dempsey

New Gold Dream by Simple Minds - chock full of tasty basslines

these should keep you busy

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TripleB67 said:

Working my way through the tremendous list everyone has posted...starting with the CDs I already own.

The combination of the two items above...listening to H&H through headphones...blew me away!!! 🤯

The bass on this entire CD is just so clear and amazing----I was in awe of the playing (and how much clearer and better it sounds when listening through headphones and just concentrating on the bass line)!!!

Cannot wait to listen to many of the other recommendation found here.....I think early Whitesnake will be my next listening experience!

TripleB67 

Bass is detuned to Eb on that album just in case you were trying to learn it straight from the album. Think this was Geezer at his very best. Pretty sure it was a custom Jaydee bass he used on it.

Dave

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Bass is detuned to Eb on that album just in case you were trying to learn it straight from the album. Think this was Geezer at his very best. Pretty sure it was a custom Jaydee bass he used on it.

Dave

Great album - Craig Gruber always insisted that it was he who played on it, and that they came to a 'financial agreement' afterwards. I for one think it's possible, as it's definitely BS's best 'bass' album.

Bass albums? Too many to choose - but for today, I'd plump for 'Red' by King Crimson. 😀

1 hour ago, spongebob said:

Great album - Craig Gruber always insisted that it was he who played on it, and that they came to a 'financial agreement' afterwards. I for one think it's possible, as it's definitely BS's best 'bass' album.

Bass albums? Too many to choose - but for today, I'd plump for 'Red' by King Crimson. 😀

Now that's really quite interesting. The bass parts stood out from everything else Sabbath had ever done that i know off yet some of the bass runs are similar to what Geezer would play. Think in earlier Sabbath the bass was hidden back in the mix rather than forward like H&H album so now its really got me wondering. Does anyone else have any insight into this ?

I'm not generally a Sabbath fan and only occasionally listened to them until i heard the H&H album which is the only one i've ever thought was a classic album for me. Not everyone will agree on that but its just my own personal opinion of course

Dave

I'm with you! My fave BS stuff is the Duo era. Really gave them a new purpose. 

As I'm typing on the phone, can't post a link right now....but if you Google Heaven And Hell and Craig Gruber, the 'net is full of stuff on it. Some say yes, some no. 

End of the day, he said he did the work on the album, and got, shall we say, paid off. Geezer (and the band line) was that he re-recorded the bass parts for release. 

Craig was by all accounts always very certain of what he did. They settled, and it became ancient history as far as he was concerned. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, spongebob said:

I'm with you! My fave BS stuff is the Duo era. Really gave them a new purpose. 

As I'm typing on the phone, can't post a link right now....but if you Google Heaven And Hell and Craig Gruber, the 'net is full of stuff on it. Some say yes, some no. 

End of the day, he said he did the work on the album, and got, shall we say, paid off. Geezer (and the band line) was that he re-recorded the bass parts for release. 

Craig was by all accounts always very certain of what he did. They settled, and it became ancient history as far as he was concerned. 

WOW i had no idea. Cheers for that. Still a brilliant album IMHO

Dave

13 hours ago, visog said:

Rush-wise I'd go Moving Pictures for their best balance of songs, bass tone and musicianship.

That's what I thought as well....however, after listening to Black Sabbath's H&H, the bass part in Moving Pictures wasn't as easy for me to find as the bass line in H&H...but then again, maybe it's because I'm always distracted by Peart's drums 😀

TripleB67

17 minutes ago, TripleB67 said:

That's what I thought as well....however, after listening to Black Sabbath's H&H, the bass part in Moving Pictures wasn't as easy for me to find as the bass line in H&H...but then again, maybe it's because I'm always distracted by Peart's drums 😀

TripleB67

I have a Rush music book that i came across several yrs ago and much of Moving Pictures is in it. Would need to go look it out for corect name tho. Last time i looked at it was to learn Tom Sawyer for a band jam session and YYZ just for a bit of fun. Most of this you should get on line. I got the H&H album tracks on Ultimate Guitar site. Gave me the bass tabs and i think it tells you how the bass was tuned.

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

On 10/10/2018 at 12:30, uk_lefty said:

Pearl Jam, Ten. 

Never realized it was so prevalent until I listened to it through headphones today.....brings a whole new life to this CD!!!!  Thanks!

On 10/10/2018 at 04:36, paul_5 said:

Lateralus or 10,000 Days by Tool or anything by Charles Mingus.

Which is the better of the two CDs by Tool?  I've listened to a little of each....much profanity in either?

TripleB67

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, TripleB67 said:

Never realized it was so prevalent until I listened to it through headphones today.....brings a whole new life to this CD!!!!  Thanks!

Which is the better of the two CDs by Tool?  I've listened to a little of each....much profanity in either?

TripleB67

I personally think Lateralus is the more 'classic' Tool bass album, but Justin was definitely in full on Digitech Bass Whammy usage mode which gives so much depth to tracks like Lateralus (07:21 for gratuitous use), Disposition (most of the track) and, most notably, Schism, which in itself has some pretty anthemic bass parts. 

I love 10,000 Days though, Rosetta Stoned and The Pot especially, though I think the album's lyrics score a little more highly on the swear factor! 

Edited by bakerster135
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, bakerster135 said:

I personally think Lateralus is the more 'classic' Tool bass album, but Justin was definitely in full on Digitech Bass Whammy usage mode which gives so much depth to tracks like Lateralus (07:21 for gratuitous use), Disposition (most of the track) and, most notably, Schism, which in itself has some pretty anthemic bass parts. 

I love 10,000 Days though, Rosetta Stoned and The Pot especially, though I think it scores a little more highly on the swear factor! 

Thanks!!!

Listening to Mr. Big's first CD right now (through headphones of course)....I thought Sheehan was amazing before - now I am pretty sure he is a god!!!

TripleB67

15 minutes ago, TripleB67 said:

Thanks!!!

Listening to Mr. Big's first CD right now (through headphones of course)....I thought Sheehan was amazing before - now I am pretty sure he is a god!!!

TripleB67

Make sure you listen to Dave Lee Roth's Eat 'Em And Smile too, Sheehan and Vai on TOP form (Elephant Gun)! 😉

Edited by bakerster135
  • Like 1

On 11/10/2018 at 14:34, songofthewind said:
On 11/10/2018 at 18:11, toneknob said:

Bestial Cluster by Mick Karn

Liberty City, Jaco Pastorius. 

I love Basschat! I love these recommendations. Both beautiful music. 'Liberty City' is just the tune, the album is the wonderful, 'Word of Mouth'. For what it's worth, I think Jaco, Mick and Percy Jones are the only fretless players to achieve a unique voice. Everyone else following some of the previously mentioned..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, visog said:

I think Jaco, Mick and Percy Jones are the only fretless players to achieve a unique voice. Everyone else following some of the previously mentioned..

As someone who has recently started playing fretless it is very hard to find your own style or ‘voice’ without sounding like these players.

On 11/10/2018 at 12:41, dmccombe7 said:

Dave

Any other BS albums where the bass is an incredible as it is with H&H?  I just can't get enough of this album....I never paid much attention to anything by Black Sabbath after about '77.  Thanks!!!!!

TripleB67

6 hours ago, TripleB67 said:

Any other BS albums where the bass is an incredible as it is with H&H?  I just can't get enough of this album....I never paid much attention to anything by Black Sabbath after about '77.  Thanks!!!!!

TripleB67

That's the only one i know off where the bass is so clear and prominent.

You could try Blizzard of Oz albums Diary of a Madman with Bob Daisley on bass. Couple of songs i really like from that era with Bob are S.A.T.O. and Crazy Train 

If i can think of anymore i'll let you know. Standard tuning on Crazy Train if i remember right. Not sure about S.A.T.O. Music on Ultimate Guitar if it helps too

Bass Tip :- Crazy Train verse count 5 beats on the A before doing the little run down. 

Have fun.

Dave

• Like 1