Why become a member? ×

Your Favorite Bass Prevalent CD?

TripleB67

First let me say I've only been playing the bass for about two weeks now and already feel like it's the instrument I've been looking for throughout the past 31 years (since I was 20 and thought I wanted to learn to play the 6 sting guitar).  I absolutely love picking it up and practicing/playing....it's absolutely amazing!

I would like to find some new music to listen to in which you can actually hear (and feel) the bass guitar and it's prevalence within the music.  Groups I listen to where I feel like the bass guitar is a major contributor are Rush (Lee) and Mr. Big (Sheehan).  To be honest I listen to about every type of music (that doesn't have much profanity...just so I don't have to filter it around my 11 year old), but definitely prefer music with lyrics!

So, what are some of your favorite cds/bands that make the bass guitar an integral part of the music?

Thanks!

TripleB67

Bruford - One of a Kind with Jeff Berlin (instrumental but bass is excellent)

Alain Caron albums (again instrumental but still fantastic basslines)

If you are more into Rock albums with lyrics try Black Sabbath Heaven and Hell. Some great clear bass lines on there.

Early Whitesnake albums with Neil Murray on bass. Songs like Fool For Your Loving is a classic.

Cozy Powell albums Over The Top (Instrumental) or Tilt with Jack Bruce and Neil Murray on bass and different singers.

UK albums with John Wetton on bass. First album was Instrumental but follow up had vocals.

Hope that helps a little

Dave

• Like 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhgQXnNnTXM

"The Revolutionary Blues Band" (an early outing from saxist Tom Scott) is an amazing one IMO where the bass and drums stand out...both from the point of view of the music itself and also in the mix. Unfortunately neither musician was credited on the album, so despite many searches, I have never been able to find out who they were. As far as I know, the album was never released on CD. 

To get a real flavour of the bass work, it would be best to listen with ear phones, as the clip recording does not do it justice. 😎

Enjoy.

Edited by Coilte
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Coilte said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhgQXnNnTXM

"The Revolutionary Blues Band" (an early outing from saxist Tom Scott) is an amazing one IMO where the bass and drums stand out...both from the point of view of the music itself and also in the mix. Unfortunately neither musician was credited on the album, so despite many searches, I have never been able to find out who they were. As far as I know, the album was never released on CD. 

To get a real flavour of the bass work, it would be best to listen with ear phones, as the clip recording does not do it justice. 😎

Enjoy.

I think I read somewhere that Joe Sample might have played on that album. Tom Scott and Joe Sample used to work together along with Max Bennett before LA Express. So possibly, Max Bennett? 

Why not send Tom Scott an Email? 

https://www.tomscottmusic.com/contact-us

Edited by lowdown

3 hours ago, lowdown said:

My favourite at the moment is 'Caribe' from the Michel Camilo Big Band.

Anthony Jackson in total control.

Live at the blue note is good too. I spent I don’t know how many hours transcribing AJs lines from that a few years ago.

Edited by ambient
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TrevorR said:

I love the album Tribes Vibes and Scribes by Incognito. Wonderful funky, soulful bass on every track. The Yes Album has great playing by Chris Squire (and check out Tempus Fugit from their Drama album - best bass line ever). 

Inspired me to listen again to the Drama album and in fact, there is some amazing bass playing across that album despite being one of Yes' less well known ones.

And while we're at it has anyone recommended listening to anything with Bernard Edwards of Chic playing on it? Those early Chic albums and the Chic produced Sister Sledge stuff has some great bass playing on them.

And Tony Levin does some fantastic bass and Chapman Stick playing all across Peter Gabriel's So album.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Early Whitesnake albums with Neil Murray on bass. Songs like Fool For Your Loving is a classic.

Big, big plus 1 for Neil Murray's playing on the early Whitesnake albums - especially Trouble, Ready and Come and Get it. So souful and funky but yet still driving and perfect for the bluesy heavy rock sound the band had at the time. One of my favourite bass players.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lowdown said:

I think I read somewhere that Joe Sample might have played on that album. Tom Scott and Joe Sample used to work together along with Max Bennett before LA Express. So possibly, Max Bennett? 

Why not send Tom Scott an Email? 

https://www.tomscottmusic.com/contact-us

As I said earlier, I have done a lot of research to try to find a definitive answer to who the musicians (especially bass and drums) are/were, including an email and Facebook message to Tom Scott. Heard nothing back. Also started a thread here a while back and on Talkbass...no luck.

Like yourself, I thought it might be Max Bennett on bass, but can't be sure. Joe Sample did indeed work with Scott in the early days, and it has been suggested that Wilton Felder might have filled the bass chair. 

According to a comment beneath the Youtube clip......Lightnin' Rod Piazza -Harmonica & Vocals Arthur Adams - Guitar& Bass David Cohen - Guitar & keyboards Tom Scott - Saxophone & Flute.

Perhaps the guy has some inside information, because I have never been able to unearth a definitive musician list. 

BTW...I even posted it on Carol Kaye's site asking who it might be. Guess what....she claims it was her !!!  Surprise !!...Surprise !!!  (LOL) 

Edited by Coilte
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, TrevorR said:

I love the album Tribes Vibes and Scribes by Incognito. Wonderful funky, soulful bass on every track. 

This ^. I would also recommend ‘100° And Rising’ from the same band.

Edited by Rich
  • Thanks 1