Why become a member? ×

Ultravox's Chris Cross

darkandrew

Duran Duran's John Taylor, Kajagoogoo's Nick Beggs and Japan's Mick Karn all receive mentions on here quite regularly but I don't recall ever seeing Ultravox's Chris Cross mentioned. Listening through Ultravox's "Systems of Romance", "Vienna", "Rage in Eden" and "Quartet" over the past week (yes, I've had a bit of an Ultravox binge recently) I was wondering if Cross's lack of presence on here is because there's a certain snobbery due to his frequent use of synth bass, of which he was probably one of the early pioneers (the bassline from "Vienna", for example, is probably one of the 80's most instantly recognisable basslines). Any thoughts? 

Edited by darkandrew

27 minutes ago, howdenspur said:

I liked Ultravox's earlier phase with John Foxx, particularly the punky Ha, Ha, Ha where the bass is to the fore.

I'm not so keen on the first two albums but Systems of Romance is a great album as is Foxx's second solo album, The Garden, both of which feature the highly under-rated Robin Simon on guitar. At the risk of dipping a foot or two into Guitar Chat territory, Robin Simon's playing on "Systems" added a whole new dimension to Ultravox's sound and he also did a surprisingly competent job of filling the uniquely talented John McGeoch's shoes not once but twice in Magazine and then Visage.

Edited by darkandrew

Just now, Hobbayne said:

Didnt they used to wear their trousers back to front? 🤔

I was trying to describe that to my 5 year old daughter only this week as the song has been used on a program she likes. She just looked at my baffled, "Why Daddy? Why?"