Why become a member? ×

Tell me about preamps

Owen

I'm somewhat of a @Tech21NYC slut.  Pretty much any if their stomps or racked gear will do the trick.

Racked RBI and GED2112 have been great, but I didn't get on with the VTBASS one (tonally just didn't work for me).  Of the stomps, BDDI (which is essentially an RBI in different clothes) and the recent dUg.  Even the Sansamp GT2 worked.  If Tech21 would do the dUg in a 19" rack version my life woukd be complete.

Interestingly, the old Bass POD I ran for a while was fantastic.  I know it picked up flack from these purists who would say it sounds nothing like the amps it's supposed to be modelling from, but it was a very versatile piece of kit, great for live and recording.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

I'm somewhat of a @Tech21NYC slut.  Pretty much any if their stomps or racked gear will do the trick.

Same here, my fave is the Para Driver but I can use pretty much any of their stomp-boxes and get very the sound I want. The Para Driver nails it exactly for me, and of course each has their own flavour so they can`t all do what the other does exactly but on the hoof I can get a workable sound from all those I`ve tried so far.

If we're talking valve pres the Jule Monique seems to be very highly thought of. Arkham Sound make nice looking B15-based preamps. If I were buying it'd be one of those 2 I'd be going for.

Edited by Bigwan

On 09/10/2018 at 23:39, HazBeen said:

The list is as long as your arm, I will give my favourite, the Mesa Boogie Subway Pre/DI I could not live without.

I keep looking at the Subway Pre. It ticks a lot of boxes. They have an acoustic preamp with a few more features; I might hang on until Namm to see if they launch a bass version of it. If not, the Subway will probably be joining the fold. 

1 hour ago, JimBobTTD said:

I keep looking at the Subway Pre. It ticks a lot of boxes. They have an acoustic preamp with a few more features; I might hang on until Namm to see if they launch a bass version of it. If not, the Subway will probably be joining the fold. 

The Acoustic works well on bass too btw.

• Thanks 1

Pleased the OP’s obsession is reduced - it was his previous posts that part fuelled my own.  I’ve reined things in but currently enjoying (a) a Noble - contemporary twin valve but works best for me with Fender style basses (that I don’t have or favour); (b) Hellborg - err...favourite - very responsive; (c) Millennia - brutally transparent but requires technical expertise (not my amateur fumbling); (d) Alembic SF2 - nuts and see (c) above; and, Avalon U5 - simple and lush on preset 2 with more modern and active basses. Not sure there’s anything new here - the OPs selection was possibly broader

Edited by three