Why become a member? ×

Piezo acoustic pup remedy

Bingo

Hey guys

I managed to resurrect my old fishman acoustic bass pickup. 

My issue was the low B (yes 5 string), E and A weren't getting much volume. And it seemed the only working section of the piezo was the D & G end, tapping the bridge lightly confirmed this for me. 

I ordered a cheap knock off replacement of amazon which in fairness looks like the exact same components (often the case), with this in hand I decided to investigate to try and fix my original unit. 

After removing the bridge, having an idea on what I was looking at but not sure how to proceed, I saw the Pup was quite flat, after ex 10 years of being crushed under the bridge. I read they transfer current by being crushed so, i simply rotated the piezo and put it back in. The actual hardware of the item looks like a cylender of copper wire mesh, I bent the existing bend out from the former instalation, rotated 90° and refitted it. 

I was delighted with the result on plugging it back in so much I decided to write my first post on it here. 

I use the BC site for info and advice regularly, finally I have something to add. 

Cheers

Bings

• Like 1