Why become a member? ×

Fender CS - No magic?

The59Sound

On 09/10/2018 at 16:30, The59Sound said:

It was priced at £3.2k... but in a blind test could have been any MIA Jazz to me.

In all likelihood, in a blind test you probably wouldn't have been able to tell the difference between that and a Harley Benton JB75 selling at 4% of the CS price.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

In all likelihood, in a blind test you probably wouldn't have been able to tell the difference between that and a Harley Benton JB75 selling at 4% of the CS price.

What do you mean "in all likelihood"...? I was there too! I didn't spot one of the 15 basses correctly!

• Haha 1

never had a custom shop bass, but I had a fender custom shop strat, and have a gibson custom shop 1958 les paul

The fender was nice, looked old, played nicely and sounded good. But did none of those things any better than the American standard strat I had. The custom gibson is better than a normal les paul standard, but that's only because Gibson's QC on their normal stuff is not so great. Modern standard US Fenders are built impeccably IMO, and I personally wouldn't pay the extra to get Fender custom shop

Having said that, I was astounded by how good the 2018 Mexican precision I just got is. Mexican Fenders seem have gone from being total crap to being fantastic. I had to do nothing to it - no truss rod adjustment, no saddle height adjustments, no intonation tweaking, no pickup height adjustment. It was perfect. Makes me seriously consider whether getting a standard USA fender (let alone a custom shop one) is really worth it right now

Currently my experience on Fender quality is above the average (probably I've been lucky)

I own 4 CS (2 jazz  , 1 P59 and 1 Masterbuilt P51)

The only one I sold was a 64 Jazz , which was nice sounding , but required a shim in neckpocket. I was not able to have the setup I want.

The jazz I kept is nicely assembled , very resonant , but if I have to find a pain point she has a little "wolf tone" on E string. Estetically marvellous.

The P59 is a marvellous bass : Light resonant and perfect for setup. Beat many vintage basses played so far for tone and playability.

The P51 is , in my opinion , one of the best instrument ever played. I purchase it in spain for a steal , it is a mark kendrick masterbulilt. 

it has the real "magic" that you feel when you play something uncommon. 51 Neck shape is not my preferred one , but the neck of that bass is something unreal.

What really is above any other fender in  CS  basses is the finish. Every bass I saw was perfect.

Edited by Bud