Why become a member? ×

Fender CS - No magic?

The59Sound

On 09/10/2018 at 19:34, TheGreek said:

my memories of  70s Fenders leave me shuddering

Don’t you mean “...my memories of highly desirable premium price point vintage 70s Fenders leave me reminiscing about what amazing instruments they were...”

It makes me laugh/weep when I see late 70s early 80s Fenders described in these terms in ads these days. Like you I’ve been around long enough to remember what we really thought of them at the time and through the 80s and 90s.

And before anyone gets all flamey... yes I know that your 70s Fender is the best built, best playing and best sounding bass in the history of the brand but 90+% really, really weren’t. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, TrevorR said:

Don’t you mean “...my memories of highly desirable premium price point vintage 70s Fenders leave me reminiscing about what amazing instruments they were...”

It makes me laugh/weep when I see late 70s early 80s Fenders described in these terms in ads these days. Like you I’ve been around long enough to remember what we really thought of them at the time and through the 80s and 90s.

And before anyone gets all flamey... yes I know that your 70s Fender is the best built, best playing and best sounding bass in the history of the brand but 90+% really, really weren’t. 

I also remember the 70s basses which were well avoided at the time. However, I begin to wonder if we just find the right bass for us whenever it comes along. It could be a Squier or it could be a CS. There seems to be an element within each individual bass which appeals to some and not others. I have two precisions which, barring financial difficulty, will always be in my arsenal. I also have a Cort Artisan which I once tried to sell as I fancied something else. The sale fell through which was lucky for me as I still have the bass and it has become part of the permanent stable along with the two precisions.  Others have come and gone and not just Fenders. One of these was a CS Masterbuilt job which just didn't inspire and was eventually moved on. Who knows what it is that makes a bass just right for us. That is the magic of playing bass!

Edited by Hutton
  • Like 2

There is a certain amount of placebo effect. The way you feel about an instrument will affect the way you play it, reinforcing the way you feel about it.

I certainly remember back in the 80s that 70s Fenders were regarded with distain. They are now highly coveted, but back then most musicians wouldn't touch one with a barge pole. If it wasn't pre-CBS and all that...

I've never played a CS, and certainly wouldn't consider spuffing over £3k on one personally. I sold the US Standard Jazz I owned from new a few years ago. I never really gelled with it, yet the mate I sold it to loves it.

You pays your money and you takes your choice. I love my cheap as chips Squier. My other, much more expensive basses, hardly ever come out of their cases

10 hours ago, Sparky Mark said:

I like it because I dont care if it gets dinged and scratched or grazed at gigs.

I bought my bass brand new in a new condition. I don't care if it gets dinged and scratched or grazed at gigs. What's your point? 

Edited by The59Sound

27 minutes ago, The59Sound said:

I bought my bass brand new in a new condition. I don't care if it gets dinged and scratched or grazed at gigs. What's your point? 

The point if it wasn't clear is that I personally don't enjoy getting dings and scratches on a minty new bass having spent several hundred pounds on it. It's a bit like that feeling when returning to your shiny new car that someone has dinged in the car park. Some people don't care, it's just I do. I realise that my view is wrong and yours is correct to you. Peace.

• Like 2

I must admit having had a few 70s Fenders that I`m amazed at how people really look down on them. Maybe I lucked out but mine were fine, one was rather heavy, one was very light, and another had simply the most aggressive tone I`ve ever had in a bass. But all played well enough to make me think that either I picked the only three good ones or that someone else was unfortunate enough to pick the only three bad ones.

6 hours ago, TrevorR said:

5 hours ago, Norris said:

There is a certain amount of placebo effect. The way you feel about an instrument will affect the way you play it, reinforcing the way you feel about it.

I certainly remember back in the 80s that 70s Fenders were regarded with disdain. They are now highly coveted, but back then most musicians wouldn't touch one with a barge pole. If it wasn't pre-CBS and all that...

I've never played a CS, and certainly wouldn't consider spuffing over £3k on one personally. I sold the US Standard Jazz I owned from new a few years ago. I never really gelled with it, yet the mate I sold it to loves it.

You pays your money and you takes your choice. I love my cheap as chips Squier. My other, much more expensive basses, hardly ever come out of their cases

I think that, by now, most have had the build quality associated problems dealt with by subsequent owners. By now, the bridges have been set correctly, the necks sorted and problems with frets resolved....and these were "the best basses money can buy". I remember friends having problem infested Fenders which they didn't have the experience or skills to deal with.

Getting our instruments set up back then meant taking them to a local, self obsessed, generally drunk, guitarist who would (over)charge  and expect favours for free in the future - he never paid when I let his band rehearse in the Adventure Playground I ran - "remember when I set up your bass?". ...aaah reminiscing ain't what it was...

It seems, given 40 years and details of a good luthier, you can make a silk purse out of a pig's ear.

Edited by TheGreek

3 hours ago, Sparky Mark said:

The point if it wasn't clear is that I personally don't enjoy getting dings and scratches on a minty new bass having spent several hundred pounds on it. It's a bit like that feeling when returning to your shiny new car that someone has dinged in the car park. Some people don't care, it's just I do. I realise that my view is wrong and yours is correct to you. Peace.

Not having a go mate, just don't need to spend several hundred pounds more to worry about dings. :)

I reckon a lot of the bad press for 70’s fenders comes from the fact the people who have good ones only come out of the woodwork to stick up for them once in a blue moon.

My 77 P was a delight and if it hadn’t have been sold to Andy Baxter and been resold at £800 more than I’d sold it for I would’ve gladly had it back.

I was offered a 76 or something by one of the guys from 9 Black Alps (remember them, “second coming of nirvana” that never really hit the big time)...and that was a pig.

but I’ve played more good/passable 70’s fenders than bad ones. The weight being the main issue.

Edited by AndyTravis

On 09/10/2018 at 16:38, Beedster said:

Ultimately it's why I now play Fender-alike bitsas that I put together by trial and error. I've played £5k basses by Fender that were crap and £250 basses by Fender (well Squier) that were outstanding. In the grand scheme of things, the most reliable of all Fender lines appear to be the old MIJ models. I've now got four basses, two Precisions and two Jazzes (fretted and fretless of each, although all four with Precision width necks), that cost in total about £1200 to put together and which I'd happily put up against most top-end Fenders, even CS and vintage. OK, I've had to hunt around for used Allparts/Warmoth bodies and necks, and have done a lot of trial and error - some neck/body combinations work, some don't, some PUPs seem to work on some basses, some don't - but I've got four great instruments. The reality is I think that you can't predict how well a bass is going to play and sound until you play it, and I guess there's not many QC departments in mass market manufacturers that get into that level of detail.

Picking up on this and the thread, Sandberg play each and every bass on assembly so after checking the parts are right, electronics done, it gets played, often by the owner Hölger himself to be sure it’s fine.

Call ‘em Fender copies if you want, they are not, new shapes now, love or hate relics (I think they do the best in the biz) they do normal finishes too and there are literally about a million options if you calculate what is possible on the configurator.

They are what Fender should be with fantastic customer service

On 09/10/2018 at 16:30, The59Sound said:

Went to GuitarGuitar today and played a CS Jazz relic by Master Builder someone or other...

Beautiful bass to look at - my favourite colour combo; candy apple red, tort pickguard and rosewood neck.

But upon playing and hearing it, it just feels and sounds like a normal Fender MIA Jazz in my humble opinion. It was priced at £3.2k... but in a blind test could have been any MIA Jazz to me.

I have played old Fenders that sound 'old' but this just looks old yet sounds modern.

Just me?

No. Years ago, I had a cracking 1996 51 P-bass re-issue. Then, when the London Guitar Show got rebooted, I had a go on a 55 CS Precision. Mine was better in every way that I could tell, except that this had heavy flats on and mine had TI Jazz Flats.  Not long after that, I began to put together 'Fenders' built as I wanted them, and have had a much better playing experience all round. CS are very well made, but not very characterful, if you like.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wateroftyne said:

With the likes of Limelight around, I have no idea why people even bother buying new CS relics.

Why do people still buy Levi’s when other jeans are available?

I don’t have an issue with what other people spend their own money on - nor do I worry myself about it 😉

I know people who fly into a rage when they see stuff like Limelight and Bravewood stuff without fender Decals...

I personally don’t mind as long as they’re being accurately sold.

I have a mate who spent as much on a Nash Telecaster as he would have spent on a used CS Telecaster. I don’t get it (it’s actually not that great a guitar in my opinion) but fair play to him - he liked it...

Edited by AndyTravis

I'm in the fortunate position of owning several pre CBS, several CS plus a selection of standard MIA, Japanese and Mexican Fender basses. Put a spanking brand new set of roundwounds on any with a good set up/action and in a blind test no one could tell which was which, even less so how old it was. The action, pick up character, pick up height, choice of strings and your ability determine how it will play and sound in your hands. I'm sure that the CS basses I've not liked for whatever reason will suit others perfectly. If you ever try one that does it for you then who knows.....? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

. . . . I’ve played more good/passable 70’s fenders than bad ones.

Yep. But doesn't make for such a good headline, does it.

I've played instruments at bass bashes that were lovingly exhibited by proud owners and felt like crap to me. Tried friends basses that I wouldn't play if they gave them to me. So yeah, I'm sure Fender made quite a lot of bad basses over many years, but what does that mean in terms of numbers? Probably quite a few. In terms of percentage of overall production? Not a lot.

So what do we say? For every 10 basses Fender sends to market one might be a dog, one might be exceptional and the rest will be somewhere in the middle and are still capable of doing a good job? Sure it's a guestimate but my feeling is that this is closer to the truth than the line, "Every bass Fender made in the 70's was crap". I'd bet that most of these basses (even the bad ones) eventually settled and matched up the preferences of an owner and they both lived happily ever after.

• Like 1

On 14/10/2018 at 12:12, TheGreek said:

Getting our instruments set up back then meant taking them to a local, self obsessed, generally drunk, guitarist who would (over)charge  and expect favours for free in the future - he never paid when I let his band rehearse in the Adventure Playground I ran - "remember when I set up your bass?". ...aaah reminiscing ain't what it was...

I ran into one of these bastards. I couldn't get my Ibby Rick intonated correctly; shop said 'mis-aligned tailpiece', which was BS, I later found out. They sent out a SE repaiman who then spent 20 minutes doing the saddles then suddenly saying that the neck was the issue. He then stripped the truss rod nut and then hammered - yes, hammered - two slots into the rod nut then fleeced  me for the equivalent of £50. And he was a drunk.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2018 at 16:10, bubinga5 said:

BUT.. i stil want a Fender. 😂 This one to be precise. 74 AVRI. 

I tried one of them a year or so back - after the ‘75 ri was a GAS bass for me and one I really wanted the ‘74ri I tried was awful, nasty looking wood, massively thick neck finish and dull sound. Disappointing.

anyway that wasn’t why I was posting - but to say I got to try out a custom shop P in a shop the other day - and it was lovely ... esp after the awful USA std or whatever they are called one. But £2k lovely? Not really