Why become a member? ×

Ive never seen a worst bass instructional video than this.

bubinga5

On 09/10/2018 at 19:52, Austin7 said:

I could tell from her accent she wasn't actually from New York or even anywhere else in the U.S., either.  I looked her up and she is originally from Tel Aviv.  

So living and working in New York, she's supposed to say she's a Tel Aviv based bass player? Right ok - so you can only work where you're from originally?

1 hour ago, visog said:

So living and working in New York, she's supposed to say she's a Tel Aviv based bass player? Right ok - so you can only work where you're from originally?

I never said that people should only work where they are from originally.  I am puzzled why you would think I'm saying that.  

• Like 1

On 09/10/2018 at 19:52, Austin7 said:

I could tell from her accent she wasn't actually from New York or even anywhere else in the U.S., either.  I looked her up and she is originally from Tel Aviv.  It appears she lived in Los Angeles a while before moving to NYC. 

What's the correct interpretation?

1 hour ago, visog said:

What's the correct interpretation?

That she was not speaking with a New York accent.  She was speaking English with a slight Sabra accent.  Something which, by the way, isn't necessarily a bad thing.  I think it sounds cool--somewhat similar, for instance, to what some people sound like when they speak English with a French accent.  You seem to try to be making it look like I'm saying something negative by my statements when I'm not.  For the record, I've just begun trying to learn Hebrew and the last thing I would ever do is say anything negative about anyone who speaks English with the native Hebrew (Sabra) accent.  I have something to learn from them-.  They have nothing to learn from me.  So,, please, whatever negative interpretation you seem to have received from my posts, I'd appreciate it if you would let it go.  To me it feels like you are ringing fire bell alarms when there is no fire.  I'm going to have to chalk this up to an honest misunderstanding.  However, I sincerely hope this is the last time I'm going to have to try to explain myself to you.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Telebass said:

Can someone please point me at the place where the "never play open strings" sh*te comes from?

although that's  what she said,  but what she demonstrated was don't play different open strings without damping, which is correct. 

• Like 2

I don't quite understand why this video has generated so much opprobium.  Someone has dared to suggest that open strings sound different to a fretted note; that playing in time is a good thing; that overcomplication is not necessarily a good thing and that money end of the fretboard is not a bad place to live in a band context.  I can't remember what the fifth thing was, something about not changing the chord by playing the root at the start of each bar.

I don't think any of that is bad advice for a beginner/early stage intermediate bassist.  It may not chime with all the mega star bassists on here with their multi-million pound deals and globe-hopping tours but I recognise the sense in it.

• Like 6

From the perspective of someone starting out in a band context, surely none of this is controversial stuff?

Anyhow, she's a working musician, a Berklee graduate and member of staff, and now she's a bass player you've all heard of, for better or worse!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I suppose when we get to a certain level it can sometimes be hard to recollect just how basic advice needs to be to help beginners. Great that she is putting a free video out to help beginners. 

I’m currently setting up a bass educational YouTube channel with free bass videos. Have a look if this might interest you. It’s in the early stages but adding new improved content every week. Let me know if you would like me to make a video on any particular bass topic or area. 

3 hours ago, greghagger said:

...Let me know ...

Just to let you know that, on my system, the sound is extremely low. I've been listening to other U-tubes this evening, so I don't think the issue is at my end. Get it checked, maybe..?
Just sayin', hope this helps, and good luck with the project. B|

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Just to let you know that, on my system, the sound is extremely low. I've been listening to other U-tubes this evening, so I don't think the issue is at my end. Get it checked, maybe..?
Just sayin', hope this helps, and good luck with the project. B|

Thanks for that.

Annoyingly from some other feedback I have realised that the bass in my first 7 videos are way too quiet. I mixed the bass & voice on earplugs which should have been realistic but definitely weren’t!! I think I’ll have to edit all the early videos & then upload again. Really appreciate the feedback as I now know it’s definitely a problem!  Is the voice low too or just bass? 

This is my newest video. If you get a chance and don’t mind can you let me know if the volume is better.  Thanks Greg. 

Nice video.

I wonder if I might make a few observations though. I'm a retired player and tutor, so please don't be upset if I sound overly critical at times. My comments are given bearing in mind the intended audience. Also I've only watched this one video so if issues are addressed elsewhere then my apologies.

1. The voice is nice & clear but the bass is still too quiet. Useable, but could do with more still.

2. Have you considered sitting on a high stool for these sessions? You move around quite a lot as you talk, and TBH I found it a bit distracting. Keeping a little distance between you and your students is a good thing, and that applies to video work as well as 1-1 sessions. Also, keeping still is much easier to do when you're seated.

3. I don't know how closely these sessions are scripted, but you seem to fumble a bit for your words occasionally. You can get away with it a bit in the teaching studio, but on a video it can come across as you not being too sure what you're saying. If you don't do it already you might want to consider having a lesson text on a music stand close to the camera (but invisible to the viewer), and following it as closely as possible - which means rehearsing it a few times before you turn the camera on. I know they're beginner sessions but that doesn't mean you can be sloppy with presentation - quite the reverse in fact. A more accomplished player will be able to filter out that kind of thing a bit better. As a side benefit, it will encourage you to think about what it is you're trying to say, helping to make your lessons a bit more focused.

4. I think it would be a good idea to develop your onscreen graphics somewhat. The presentation comes across as a bit dry despite your obvious enthusiasm for what you're doing. Everybody likes pictures to look at. :)

Just a few thoughts. Hope it helps. Good luck with the project.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, leftybassman392 said:

Nice video.

I wonder if I might make a few observations though. I'm a retired player and tutor, so please don't be upset if I sound overly critical at times. My comments are given bearing in mind the intended audience. Also I've only watched this one video so if issues are addressed elsewhere then my apologies.

1. The voice is nice & clear but the bass is still too quiet. Useable, but could do with more still.

2. Have you considered sitting on a high stool for these sessions? You move around quite a lot as you talk, and TBH I found it a bit distracting. Keeping a little distance between you and your students is a good thing, and that applies to video work as well as 1-1 sessions. Also, keeping still is much easier to do when you're seated.

3. I don't know how closely these sessions are scripted, but you seem to fumble a bit for your words occasionally. You can get away with it a bit in the teaching studio, but on a video it can come across as you not being too sure what you're saying. If you don't do it already you might want to consider having a lesson text on a music stand close to the camera (but invisible to the viewer), and following it as closely as possible - which means rehearsing it a few times before you turn the camera on. I know they're beginner sessions but that doesn't mean you can be sloppy with presentation - quite the reverse in fact. A more accomplished player will be able to filter out that kind of thing a bit better. As a side benefit, it will encourage you to think about what it is you're trying to say, helping to make your lessons a bit more focused.

4. I think it would be a good idea to develop your onscreen graphics somewhat. The presentation comes across as a bit dry despite your obvious enthusiasm for what you're doing. Everybody likes pictures to look at. :)

Just a few thoughts. Hope it helps. Good luck with the project.

Thanks for taking the time to give me that feedback. Before posting on Basschat I hadn’t had any feedback so it’s very valuable.  

Just so I’m clear did you watch the Picking Video(No.9) or the Starting Out Video(No.4)?

I sat down for my first few videos but thought they looked a little static & boring so have been experimenting with standing up but that does make it harder to film & like you say that might actually make it harder to learn from. Definitely an issue to think more carefully about.

I normally roughly plan out a lesson beforehand & write a cue sheet of ideas but I think preparing more & having a better script might help eradicate some of the umms and errs!! 

So on your point No.4 do you mean inserting photos into the video at points to give the lesson some direction? 

Your advice is much appreciated

Thanks

Greg

7 minutes ago, leftybassman392 said:

I watched video 9.

Mostly it's to do with fine tuning your presentation. As to point 4 I was thinking more of graphics to show finger placements, hand position and related matters. You could use photos or ViV but yes, something to give your students a closer look at what your hands are doing.

Thanks lots to think about. Greg