Why become a member? ×

Henrik Linder with weird frets.?

bubinga5

14 hours ago, Sibob said:

From the manufacturer of the frets:

"TRUE TEMPERAMENT™ does not imply Just Intonation. It is physically impossible to implement Just Intonation in more than one specific key (and its relative minor) on any instrument with only 12 intervals in the octave. (Except perhaps for computer-controlled instruments using electronically generated sounds.)

What we mean by TRUE TEMPERAMENT™ is that our fretting system will give you super-accurate intonation over the whole fingerboard in the temperament it is constructed for."

As I thought basically.

Si

So everybody's playing out of tune...not just me..😉😉

No, not everybody, only fretted or fixed tuned instruments are out of tune, the worse of all being the piano. It took me years if not decades to appreciate the piano, and it must be played by a talented pianist, simply because of the tension in the chords. And no, I don't have perfect pitch, simply a quite well trained ear.

Everything is clearly explained in the article linked by @Sibob. In fact, it took me years to understand why I couldn't stand the piano until a skilled piano tuner explained me what he was doing, that famous "equal temperament". From then, I think my brain accepted it, but sometimes it still hurts, like when a guitar player is badly playing chords, bendind notes in them without even knowing it.

On 10/10/2018 at 03:24, TrevorR said:

Because “tempering” a scale means very slightly moving the frequency of each note in the scale... which is what their bendy frets does. So the “even tempered scale” we use in western music assigns a standard, fixed frequency of each note in the chromatic scale slightly to create a compromise that kinda sounds good and more or less in tune when playing any natural major or minor scale.

But surely that can only work in one key at a time? A note that needs to be slightly flat in one key might need to be slightly sharp in another key. When instruments were tuned to a natural temperament then different scales would sound different (Eg C# would sound different to C natural, not just a semitone higher)?

I always feel this is merely a mathematical exercise, unless the music written requires the various tempered tunings. Bands don’t write rock songs then say “ah but how much better would it sound if we tempered specifically to D#Major for this tune?” 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Count Bassy said:

But surely that can only work in one key at a time? A note that needs to be slightly flat in one key might need to be slightly sharp in another key. When instruments were tuned to a natural temperament then different scales would sound different (Eg C# would sound different to C natural, not just a semitone higher)?

Yes, see other posts. The bendy frets in the vid aren’t really proper key specific tempering, just a tuning sweetening thing. My comment you quoted was specifically in relation to the question “Why call it temperament  and not intonation?”

From the picture of HL's bass, there a big adjustment going on on the 24fret of the 'E' that doesn't seem to be replicated earlier in other part of the board?

Hansford Rowe did try 'true temperament' a few years ago where the other instruments have to match it. Quite a different fretshape on the board. Some synths have a true temperament setting if you want to give it a go. Trouble is, because the ear adjusts to the equal temperament system, the 'true' sounds out of tune. Which hints that because it's truer in terms of replicating the overtone series, it doesn't necessarily result in better music.

Image result for hansford rowe warwick

13 minutes ago, visog said:

Some synths have a true temperament setting if you want to give it a go. Trouble is, because the ear adjusts to the equal temperament system, the 'true' sounds out of tune. Which hints that because it's truer in terms of replicating the overtone series, it doesn't necessarily result in better music.

Some the later Yamaha FM synths had the ability to "microtune" the individual notes and IIRC had presets for things like true temperament. I tried some of the alternative tunings on a friend's TX81Z and was less than impressed.