Why become a member? ×

How to darken an acoustics top???

kristo

I've been using a Brandoni acoustic bass with my band recently and am really pleased with it. However, I'd quit like the wood on top to be darker than it currently is. Does anyone know of a simple way to darken the top? I'm guessing some kind of wood stain might be easiest. Thanks.

1HO3W6Y.jpg

A tinted lacquer would be the way to go if you really feel you need to change the colour. A stain wouldn't work very well (even after stripping the original finish) as the woods used for acoustic tops (Spruce, Cedar) don't dye/stain well, often resulting in a splotchy uneven colour.

Adding tinted lacquer would require a few of the toner coats then ideally followed up by clear coat. If you didn't strip the existing finish beforehand you'd likely end up with a rather thick coat on the top, which is less than ideal and could alter the tone a little as mentioned above. If you stripped it back it'd be a fair bit of work, but you may end up with a thinner finish than the factory. However you would need to make sure the rosette is a "real one" rather than a decal buried in clear coat (as they often are on cheaper guitars).

Edited by Manton Customs
  • Like 1