Why become a member? ×

Another Rush Re-issue...Hemispheres

NancyJohnson

Reeeeeeead all abaht it!  Reeeeeeead all abaht it!  Rush in another 40th Anniversary reissue fever! etc.

I can't believe (it's not butter) it's actually 40 years since this came out.  Man alive, I had my whole freaking life ahead of me.  Needless to say, many versions coming from the Super Deluxe (CD/Vinyl/Bluray 5.1) to a stripped back digital version.  I would have chewed your arm off for the additional content back then, but I'll admit my interest was already really starting to wane at that point and I wasn't even out of my teens then.  [subtle edit: I'd recently discovered Japan...there was more than enough in those first two albums to turn my head from Canadian Progressive to Catford punkyfunk.]

Now?  I'll just have a cursory listen on Spotify as and when it drops. 

https://www.bassplayer.com/artists/rush-celebrates-the-40th-anniversary-of-hemispheres-with-reissue

Edited by NancyJohnson
  • Like 1

I remember buying the misprint vinyl version, and being absolutely gutted. Well, i was rather young at the time.

With the benefit of hindsight, i really should have kept it, but I wanted to listen to the whole album, not just the B side. :D

Love Hemispheres, superb album. You can see why they changed after this - it's hard to top the over-the-top nature of side 1!

I first heard it about 30 years ago, and still dig it out on occasion. I think they got better afterwards - but it's still a stone-cold classic, and I guess the end of the first era of the band.

I'd love to see some more archived live sets released from the band.....a complete Hemispheres first side, if that exists....or another 'Different Stages' type-package. Must be loads out there.

Is nobody else a bit old school like me, and just prefer the original unaltered releases (whoever they're by) as nature first intended?

I love Rush too, but remixes, reworking, unreleased bonuses et al just gets on my tits. The remastered "Never Mind The Bollocks" sounded pants... the original warts and all had the vibe, the rehash really didn't. 

I'm not bitter like.

It depends: if the remix/remaster/whatever has bonus tracks (like the Yes reissues) then that usually swats it for me. In some instances, e.g. Vapor Trails; it’s like two separate albums, such are the differences, which is a plus.

• Like 1