Why become a member? ×

Small Amp suggestions...

Cicero

I have an old Gallien Krueger Backline 110, but was thinking of upgrading to something a bit more suited to my style: funk/soul.

Can't fault the GK, but was looking for something of a similar size/wattage with a 'warmer' tone...

Suggestions?

I've still got my GK Backline 110...bought one when I started playing again. 

Lots of class D heads on the market - a bit of a muchness IMO - you'll get a whole host of recommendations.

As you say "Can't fault the GK" - try adding a Behringer BD121 modeller for £20 and you'll get the greater tonal range you're after. 

1 minute ago, pbasspecial said:

Or you could try some flats, or use a foam mute, roll off some of the tone on your bass, etc before you change your amp.

^^^This^^^ - I sound like me when I play, whatever the backline. For old school tone play up near the neck without a pick and roll back the tone using flats. I have basses with rounds and play with a pick when it suits but if I want to sound Motown / Stax-y I do the former. And flats with a pick get that wonderful clipped 60s tone too.

If you do want the old school tone, a bigger speaker like a 1x15 will get you closer but as said it's more how you play. I really don't think there is anything wrong with your rig.