Why become a member? ×

Which multi FX?

uk_lefty

33 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

So if you're not in a rush... :) 

Oh I don't currently see much of a need to update anything* - I am in a disturbingly happy place, currenty I don't even use what the B3 gives me that much apart from a few songs, so something like a helix is way over the top - I would imagine in a few years I will come across one cheap and then pick it up, until then I can live with it.

*ok, yes, I have a new amp coming tomorrow and got a new bass a few weeks ago, but apart from that..

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

While all this was ongoing I picked up a Boss GT10B at a good price, too good to turn down. I appreciate all the comments and was looking at the Zoom  B3n seriously.

The Boss is far, far more complex than I need. I've had a play at home, in rehearsal and for a small gig last night. There's loads more o need to work out how to do, like assign a pedal to activate the tuner, and so on, and create my own patches in order, but I'm starting off slow. The presets are hit and miss, but there are lots of useable ones, probably because they focus on preamp and EQ rather than any crazy extreme sounds. There are plenty I just cannot fathom how or why they were made.

So for now I'm experimenting. I think the sound of the effects is good enough for my uses live, it's just about understanding enough to use  it in a simple way. Having nine compressors to access instead of just what's on my board is hardly helping me with simplicity!

13 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

While all this was ongoing I picked up a Boss GT10B at a good price, too good to turn down. I appreciate all the comments and was looking at the Zoom  B3n seriously.

The Boss is far, far more complex than I need. I've had a play at home, in rehearsal and for a small gig last night. There's loads more o need to work out how to do, like assign a pedal to activate the tuner, and so on, and create my own patches in order, but I'm starting off slow. The presets are hit and miss, but there are lots of useable ones, probably because they focus on preamp and EQ rather than any crazy extreme sounds. There are plenty I just cannot fathom how or why they were made.

So for now I'm experimenting. I think the sound of the effects is good enough for my uses live, it's just about understanding enough to use  it in a simple way. Having nine compressors to access instead of just what's on my board is hardly helping me with simplicity!

I'm of the opinion that just because the pedal is capable of all these different sounds you need some discipline not to use them just because they're there, I only scratch the surface with my Zoom B1on but it does want I want it to do so that's good enough for me

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

I'm of the opinion that just because the pedal is capable of all these different sounds you need some discipline not to use them just because they're there, I only scratch the surface with my Zoom B1on but it does want I want it to do so that's good enough for me

Exactly! I cannot see myself ever using the synths and many, many others. It will be compressor, EQ, preamp... Probably finding a favourite and sticking to it, plus drive, chorus or touch wah as needed.