Why become a member? ×

Pickup routing quote - feedback required

cLepto-bass

So I went into my local guitar emporium recently to make an inquiry about having a pickup cavity routed into my bass. I was quoted £100. Does that sound like a reasonable price?  I only ask because I have literally  no idea and that could be a great price for the labour or terrible value. Any thought? 

I'd say not too bad.

For a start, he has to measure up and make a one off template. If the whole job took half a day, assuming the body he was working with wasn't some awful ply based rubbish, then 4 hours work at £25 an hour is fine.

I would be worried if paying less. You get somebody that doesn’t have a pride in their work and you’ll have chipped poly, routes that aren’t true (nobody wants to see a pair of pickups where one is wonky)... and of course there’s not only the skill of doing the job - but the cost of the router and router bits to do the job properly. Would you want a blunt router tip mashing up your pride and joy?