Why become a member? ×

1971 Fender Precision Sunburst SOLD
£2850

walshy

489A537F-D0E9-4AD4-BC8C-8E6808647BA8.thumb.jpeg.3875c9d08a8f0b7bdd8dc0a65d23726d.jpegA84AC1FA-E223-4ACA-8720-9975F624E842.thumb.jpeg.1e093ed9b6ac9a9d29df92c03c2ebebc.jpegB3A5A505-BA68-4416-9DE6-D386F1B856BC.thumb.jpeg.c23bb1ec105a514d6039fa30ff7d4948.jpeg1335C228-0711-4C3A-8D95-37A344A95CA6.thumb.jpeg.ed1fe64c3135833f0732fe930ec0a96c.jpeg029B3367-E5BB-432D-9AEB-78986712A5A5.thumb.jpeg.d2e55c8512750b9824a51537bddf6ade.jpeg80ADC94D-2E1F-4665-8165-8D8A4AC20042.thumb.jpeg.12abe13057fc2d3d38b391d0c0c6c8d3.jpegNow £2500

CD2650EC-1579-4082-B42D-AB14469A8A37.thumb.jpeg.12b698d455acc3f82901b454c583242f.jpegUp for sale my super cool 1971 Precision Bass. In beautiful well played genuine condition. 

Neck Stamped 5th Jan 1971 B

Brass Nut fitted a long time ago.

Original Frets

Original Tuners

Original Bridge ( some replacement screws)

Original 0.05 yellow capacitor

Modern CTS volume pot

Original tone pot stamped 7107

Original strap buttons will be refitted

Scratchplate repro by Pickguardian and has been reinforced around volume pot

Body cavity opened up to house previous oversized volume pot

More recent fender knobs fitted

Jack is switchcraft.

May take kickass Stingray in trade/PX

B8F27F85-C811-4A38-ABBB-9E36FA57A018.jpeg

Edited by walshy
  • Like 4

38 minutes ago, SurroundedByManatees said:

Pretty much what I'm looking for (though this one exceeds my budget) . I would put the covers and thumb rest on it, lovely. 

Glwts

Cheers man, it’s an absolute cracker. Sounds epic too and plays beautifully. Nut more Jazz width than P too

1 hour ago, SurroundedByManatees said:

Does it play similar to a nate Mendel signature? These are supposed to be based on a 71 :)

Yeah it’s outstanding mate. Sounds incredible. If I didn’t have a 64,68 and 70 P basses I’d keep it

• Haha 1

I've got an almost identical 70 precision in exactly this colour and similar condition too. It also has the B width neck ( i don't know the exact width, but it's narrow ), and is very light (about 3.8kg).

I believe Nate Mendel's original bass (on which his signature model is based) is also the same, tho he's obviously banged SD Quarter Pounders and a Badass bridge on his.

Edited by bassbiscuits

24 minutes ago, bassbiscuits said:

I've got an almost identical 70 precision in exactly this colour and similar condition too. It also has the B width neck ( i don't know the exact width, but it's narrow ), and is very light (about 3.kg).

I believe Nate Mendel's original bass (on which his signature model is based) is also the same, tho he's obviously banged SD Quarter Pounders and a Badass bridge on his.

Yeah it’s lovely and light too. 

40 minutes ago, walshy said:

Ah blimey! Small world. It’s a cracker like. 

Glad you've enjoyed the P - I last saw it in Chiswick, West London in 2014 going off with a young chap who played in a Motown band, IIRC. How it got to Hexham must be a story in itself.

Anyway, some background: The brass nut was already on the bass when I bought it in the mid '80's off a guy named Jonathan Durden. Someone had cut the original BWB pickguard down so it just covered the control cavity. The bass wore a white scratchplate for years until I bought an old tort plate off Howard The Bass Doc about 2012.

One of the pots went scratchy in the 90's so I had it replaced, probably at Andy's in Denmark St. Other than that the bass is exactly as I bought it around the time Back To The Future #1 came out. It's a great bass, lovely tone and so easy to play. Whoever gets it next will treasure it.

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

Glad you've enjoyed the P - I last saw it in Chiswick, West London in 2014 going off with a young chap who played in a Motown band, IIRC. How it got to Hexham must be a story in itself.

Anyway, some background: The brass nut was already on the bass when I bought it in the mid '80's off a guy named Jonathan Durden. Someone had cut the original BWB pickguard down so it just covered the control cavity. The bass wore a white scratchplate for years until I bought an old tort plate off Howard The Bass Doc about 2012.

One of the pots went scratchy in the 90's so I had it replaced, probably at Andy's in Denmark St. Other than that the bass is exactly as I bought it around the time Back To The Future #1 came out. It's a great bass, lovely tone and so easy to play. Whoever gets it next will treasure it.

Well believe it or not it’s just been to Bassdocs place for a health check. He’s my go to guy! Thanks for the background info mate much appreciated 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, walshy said:

Well believe it or not it’s just been to Bassdocs place for a health check. He’s my go to guy! Thanks for the background info mate much appreciated 

Next time you see him, give him my regards. He's a top bloke, though we've never met in person :)

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, 1970 said:

"Body cavity opened up to house previous oversized volume pot"

Wouldn't you just get a smaller pot?! 

Thing is, back in the 70's - early 80's there wasn't really a parts aftermarket in the UK. I assume a previous owner decided not to give the bass to a luthier but instead grabbed whatever pot he could find and shoehorned it in. I doubt it was the guy from whom I bought the bass so that pushes the installation back to the 70's which makes it a 'historical feature' and adds to the mojo ;)

Edited by skankdelvar

33 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

Thing is, back in the 70's - early 80's there wasn't really a parts aftermarket in the UK. I assume a previous owner decided not to give the bass to a luthier but instead grabbed whatever pot he could find and shoehorned it in. I doubt it was the guy from whom I bought the bass so that pushes the installation back to the 70's which makes it a 'historical feature' and adds to the mojo ;)

Yeah this wasn't a recent job and you obviously can't see it under the scratch plate but always worth telling everyone the full story. Obviously now has correct sized ones in! Sounds epic too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Geek99 said:

He made my p bass 

He is excellent! I have a one made/put together by Bassdoc too and he is my go to for all things bass! Such a dude and knows just about everything there is to know too.