Why become a member? ×

Alligator JM1 - new to me

alyctes

I looked at the other items Hubby had acquired - the only thing I'd touch is the Mexican Fender Tele with a Bigsby...

Am I being cynical (I already know the answer) but everytime somebody has some crap to sell they unnervingly cite a deceased relative...

• Like 2

17 hours ago, TheGreek said:

I looked at the other items Hubby had acquired - the only thing I'd touch is the Mexican Fender Tele with a Bigsby...

Am I being cynical (I already know the answer) but everytime somebody has some crap to sell they unnervingly cite a deceased relative...

The person has also previously sold a Dan Armstrong plexi Bass and an Ovation Magnum I amongst others. I had been in touch about both and she appeared genuine. Certainly knowledgeable about potential value rather than the actual instruments. That to me would suggest that the story is true however I take your point. At least it’s a change from found in ‘my Uncle’s loft’...

• Haha 1

I was often in touch with the owner of Alligator amplification as I used his cabs for several years and visited the factory(ies). Thats def the Alligator logo but he wasn't kitted out for building basses. I know in his early days he was involved with bass guitar distribution!

Edited by whynot
  • Like 1

Many distributors used local luthiers/builders to produce guitars and basses for them and then rebadge them. For example the Shaftesbury name became associated with the Ned Callan range - which were actually produced by Peter Cook. Also the description suggests a limited edition to celebrate an anniversary of Alligator amps - a similar deal perhaps to Trace Elliot employing Status to produce their early T Bass models. 

• Like 1

On 08/10/2018 at 16:13, alyctes said:

Well spotted that man!!

On 09/10/2018 at 16:13, Cestrian said:

It's a Reeve.  See attached link:

http://flatericbassandguitar.blogspot.com/search?q=+a+visit+to+val+reeve

And I'm sorely tempted.

Well Identified! : )

I have two Reeve, this one: Reeve Twin Neck and the one that was made for Derrick Taylor, of Roachford fame and others, shown in the above link.

Here is the whole Reeve feature: Reeve Story When you get to the bottom, click next posts and there is a bit more.

The pick-up is Kent Armstromg - Kent Armstrong Reeve Pick-ups and the circuit on mine give a good range of tones. Cracking sound.

They were made for Alligator Amplifiers - Alligator.

I don't think you would go far wrong with it and being in Stevenage, it hasn't travelled far from it's place of birth. Nice! :)

• Like 3