Why become a member? ×

a Marmite bass :)

alyctes

I've seen more even grouping from a beginner's darts night than those string holes...

I liked the Wishbass I had; it was very...organic, which suited the fretless vibe. I bought (and sold) it for a fraction of that asking price, mind...

• Like 1

@Muzz

Steve drills the holes like that on purpose and for the same reason he'll fill some splits/wormholes but leave others, they're hand built $100 per string basses !!

Wishbasses were built in Steve's shed with the minimum of power tools,they're meant to look rough and ready/full of rustic charm 😎 Even in his new premises with more tools he still builds the same and it works. Most of his customers,the hillbilly folks, could easy buy Chinese or Indonesian gear for less money but it goes against the "MAGA" ethos 😄

Not all are rough and ready,these 3 were exhibits in the Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum. The other is a lovely snakewood Lobe over in Vienna.

41644156_1001591746690601_6153358555027079168_n.jpg

35973045_924388244410952_6419307126178447360_n.jpg

38071427_191273345073036_1136799322659094528_o.jpg

@The Greek

The great thing about the negative comments is Steve's reaction to them, he doesn't care two hoots 😎No reason why he should care, he builds things his way and at his own pace. Enough folk buy them to keep him busy and those folk want see him continue. After the shop fire wiped him out,the gofundme reached 1st goals within days,locals donated tools/materials and he was back in business a month or so later 👍

BTW did you get an Ovation electric guitar vibe from that lower bout ?

18 hours ago, kodiakblair said:

@Muzz

Steve drills the holes like that on purpose and for the same reason he'll fill some splits/wormholes but leave others, they're hand built $100 per string basses !!

On purpose? Pffft. That's just poor workmanship - there's no reason those holes couldn't have been drilled with a little more care, even if they were done 'by hand'. Would have taken ten seconds to line them up properly.

14 minutes ago, Muzz said:

On purpose? Pffft. That's just poor workmanship - there's no reason those holes couldn't have been drilled with a little more care, even if they were done 'by hand'. Would have taken ten seconds to line them up properly.

The break angle of that 'G' string over the bridge looks highly suspect? I get the 'rustic/hillbilly' look but it still has to play and work as an instrument?

22 hours ago, kodiakblair said:

Not all are rough and ready,these 3 were exhibits in the Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum. The other is a lovely snakewood Lobe over in Vienna.

The snakewood body is nice . I guess the problem with this one  is that  It's a novelty item at the same price as a quality used bass. I'm sure it will sell on offer for a fraction of £794

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Muzz said:

You're right,with a wee jig Steve could get those holes bang on every time. Probably take less time 🙂

Folks have moaned about the string through holes for years and he takes not a blind bit of notice,you can bet he does it on purpose 😁

• Like 1