Why become a member? ×

Been here before...going on a hiatus?

AndyTravis

10 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

... Always fancied trying a Yamaha. 

You really should. The only thing you're going to risk is that sinking feeling when you come to realise your Yammy is putting to shame basses in your collection that are 3 to 4 times the price :) 

• Like 1

This summer I did a mammoth outdoors ,rainy, cold, 60 tune dep to about 30 in field miles from nowhere.....at the end of the night I packed up and knew Id had enough.. At the around the same time I'd started tapping around the house with a pair of sticks...six months on and I'm about to buy my first kit....

Guess all musicians need a way to keep it fresh..for me it was to learn a new instrument.....its fab. I still do bass in a little functions band but I never pick it up at home anymore..just turn up and play which is ok..we do some nice tunes etc, but the drumming thing is where its at now.

• Like 2

On 13/11/2018 at 17:43, Bridgehouse said:

Whoah! That’s a WHOPPER!! Look at how big it is compared to that house..

Is it 34 foot scale?!

B62-CE446-562-A-4524-AFF7-B9-F7412-BF34-

Ok I'm definitely now seeing double! That particular housing development seems to being replicated all around the UK...😂

• 3 weeks later...

First rehearsal tonight. Bloody hell...

A drummer with feel, dynamics and timing. Led the band as opposed to chasing someone else...

Great guitar player. Think I’ll have to practice more...obviously not match fit at all.

and the singer who I’ve worked with before.

Easy playing, lots of interplay and fun.

as a point though “I need more love” by Robert randolph is great way to get blood blisters...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

.... and he’s back! ;)

2 hours ago, Bridgehouse said:

Worst bass flounce ever

😂

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Great news sir and the bug has bitten you again. Good to see you are back into playing again.

Dave

2 hours ago, naxos10 said:

Great recovery Andy.

Sore index finger today - need to use a plectrum 🤔

530759E2-AC44-4CB9-A399-D211F7B9C045.jpeg

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Oh god. Tell me this is a wind up 😂😂😂

Not at all. I had an issue with a metal splinter in my fingertip and altho i eventually managed to get it removed it was still quite painful so i tried Voltarol and it worked a treat. Don't use it now that its healed properly.

But i have to say it did the job. I got that tip from a bass forum somewhere. Might have been BC or TB.

Dave

• 1 month later...
17 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Honestly - this should serve as an inspirational thread. I’m back playing 😉

Happy for you. I hope I can say I'm still playing in six months

Edited by oZZma

I must sound like a broken record 

People want different things out of a band. Some guys want very little, just the opportunity to play/ rehearse once a week is enough. Some guys want a lot, specific genre, gigs booked and money.

Age matters, a would think what a 21 years old is looking for might be different than what a 60 year old wants.

My point is, if you don't know what your looking for more than likely you will be disappointed 

Blue

3 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

I must sound like a broken record 

People want different things out of a band. Some guys want very little, just the opportunity to play/ rehearse once a week is enough. Some guys want a lot, specific genre, gigs booked and money.

Age matters, a would think what a 21 years old is looking for might be different than what a 60 year old wants.

My point is, if you don't know what your looking for more than likely you will be disappointed 

Blue

This. 

The only band I’m in and have been in for 23 years has all of what you describe. 

We are a 20+ member big band. We rehearse every week and do about 6-8 gigs a year. None of us are paid. It is purely a hobby band, but we are not ‘rubbish’.

On more than one occasion I do wonder why some players continue to play with us. All they do is moan and whine about this that AND the other. We rehearse new charts, they moan they can’t play it. I do what most people would do - find a recording or YouTube video, at least to get a vibe of the tune. The other guys? They put their horn back in their little bags not to be touched until next rehearsal. I just don’t get it. You’re in a big band. It’s quite a niche genre nowadays. You must be in this band because you love the music surely? If you can’t be bothered to research a ‘new’ number, that you should really already know, even though you say you are a fan of this music, then just stop. 

Myself, I live and breath my band. I’m on the comittee, I source new charts, I run the website and Facebook page. I make no money from it. The attitude of some other band members doesn’t anger me. It just disappoints me and makes me sad. The only money I make from bass playing is about £300 from a Christmas panto which pays for my and the wife’s Cotswold weekend. It’s lovely up there. 

20 minutes ago, ianrendall said:

On more than one occasion I do wonder why some players continue to play with us. [...]They put their horn back in their little bags not to be touched until next rehearsal.

20 minutes ago, ianrendall said:

Myself, I live and breath my band. [...] The attitude of some other band members doesn’t anger me. It just disappoints me and makes me sad. 

This is more or less my situation. You sure can relate and underdtand how depressed and descouraged I am about this thing.