Why become a member? ×

Been here before...going on a hiatus?

AndyTravis

I've had a similar experience. I was in bands a lot 2006-2014 until my son was born, then not at all until my marriage ended. I dipped in and out of bands for a few months after the divorce as I had more spare time, spent a lot on basses that were in and out the door over the course of a year but generally wasn't fussed with playing.

My current position is i'm quite busy with work, have just moved in with my partner and have £3k of gear not doing much. I have the time perhaps now for bands, but not the energy or commitment. A few jams here and there every month would be perfect, but nothing that dips into my time significantly. I know I won't stop buying/selling, but it'll be far less frequent that it has been.

@AndyTravis I feel you should sell anything you aren't using that has a significant potential financial benefit, certainly keep a bass or two for to scratch that itch you will inevitably get. Having less stuff is quite liberating.

• Like 3

I took a break from bands from my mid to late 30's until i turned 50 and it all started to make sense and i'm enjoying it far more now than i ever did. It was mainly down to my job that i just couldn't get the time for a band.

Can't really advise on what bass to keep as that's a personal decision you need to make. For me some of my basses have a personal or sentimental value whereas others are just basses i kinda had a notion for. The one big catch 22 is my Jazz which wasn't expensive as i bought it in a sale. It has no sentimental value ie wasn't a Xmas or birthday present and its not really gone up in value since buying about 8-10yrs ago. Altho its cheaper than my other basses its my goto bass for everything unless i'm asked specifically for a 5 or 6 stringer. So i'd say keep the bass you enjoy playing the most. 

Amps and stuff can easily be replaced at a later stage and probably a lot cheaper at 2nd hand prices if need be.

Take that break. It might only be for a few months, maybe a year or two or maybe like so many of us with various commitments in life it could be 10-15yrs but no matter what how long it takes it could be just what you need at the moment.

With regards holidays, i'm not a big fan of expensive holidays abroad unless the cash is spare. I'd rather spend on something that is longer lasting. I just don't get the £3k holiday just for the sake of 2 weeks in the sun. ???

Dave

Amps are easily replaced and are too big for paperweights, so lose them if you're definitely going to have a hiatus. But keep at least one bass, and if any of your basses are sound investments, keep hold of them whether they're going to be sat around unused or not. My Wal sees no playing action at all, but it's not going anywhere (mainly for sentimental reasons admittedly) because it's one of my very few appreciating assets. Every few months I look around online to get an idea of value and find it's gone up. OldGit, bless him, turned his pension into vintage basses for precisely this reason.

And definitely do not leave BC.

Sell the things that are likely to become dated and be superceded by newer technology - amps, speaker cabs, multi-fx, wireless units

Keep the things that are less generic or unlikely to date badly - instruments you like, rare/unusual/essential pedals, quality leads, microphones etc

Don't sell your on the gig lifesaver kit of useful spares and tools, but do make sure that you store it away without leaving batteries in it.

IME the small things really add up over time, and although you might not notice them much buying them piecemeal over a long period of time, it really hurts if you need to replace them all at the same time due to theft and can be really difficult to source replacements for out of production products.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

With regards holidays, i'm not a big fan of expensive holidays abroad unless the cash is spare. I'd rather spend on something that is longer lasting. I just don't get the £3k holiday just for the sake of 2 weeks in the sun. ???

Dave

It depends if you see it merely as a change of weather, or total freedom from responsibilities and the rare opportunity to pretend time pressures do not exist. Sure you can do that in the UK but more escapism abroad.

I don't know you Andy, other than reading some of your posts on here but I suspect that although you are asking this question, you already know the answer- the time has come to take a break.

I've done this before- I've been playing the bass since school in the 70s and at a point just before the millennium, I had had enough. I wasn't enjoying gigging, wasn't getting a buzz out of original material so I wrapped it in. I did no gigs for about 5 years and the break did me good.

If you feel that you need to liquidate the value in your gear then plan it carefully so as to avoid regret later on down the line. For me, amps, cabs and effects would be the first to go - you won't need them and if you ever do again, the gear you'll be able to buy will be louder/ smaller/ lighter than the stuff you got rid of. If you don't have one however, get yourself a good practise amp - ie one that really does sound like a big rig only quieter - if it takes headphones and an aux input that's all you'll need.

Basses to me are more personal and I form a greater attachment to them. You may be the same so work out the one(s) you would save first if the house was on fire and keep them. If it was me, I'd need to keep a fretted and a fretless - you'll have your own criteria. Also bear in mind that older instruments are likely to retain their current value or increase whereas newer instruments will still generally be on a depreciation cycle.

Life's  too short to be unhappy. I wish you well.

• Like 4

In my experience...

I've had periods of thinking "what's the point in having all of that gear?" but from a different perspective, of not being in a band so having little practical use for the gear, rather than simply not wanting to play any more.  I've also had periods where I've needed to generate some cash, and could list the low prices I got for some stuff that would make you wince (usually in retrospect, it seemed like a good price at the time, but a couple of years later it turns out I've sold on a collectors piece for a pittance).  Funnily enough, while I've missed the extra money that I could have got if I'd held on to them for a bit longer, I've never really missed the instruments - even the one's I've played a lot have been replaceable, and haven't ever been "the one!". 

So I still have the 1975 Rickenbacker 4001 that I got when I was 19 and played throughout my 20's (my most active period playing in bands) and i would really not want to sell on my custom Warwick - partly because I would only get about a fifth of what I paid for it if I flogged it, and couldn't replace it second hand, but mostly because it was made to my exact spec and it really is "the one".  Or at least "one of the ones".  I'm currently on my third Lowden acoustic guitar - I love them, but I don't play acoustic guitar in bands so when I've needed cash they are easy to let go of, and easy to find a new one that plays and sounds just as good when it's time to get a new acoustic.

Much less fussed about amps, cabs and anything with an LED on it - pedals come and go, and all of them can be easily replaced.  I did once move on a lovely 1977 Marshall Super Bass II head, but that was because i was playing through something else, so while I'd love to still have it , it's really only for the sake of having it, not because I would want to play through it.  In fact I've been debating whether I should just flog all my amplification because most of the gigs I've done in the last five years I've just DI'd anyway.

If it was me (and my motivations would be different so this isn't necessarily good advice) then I'd still hang on to my "irreplaceable" instruments, just in case the urge to play in a band ever returns.  If the Jazz really is "the one" then I'd see if i could hold on to it for a bit longer, just in case things change and in a year or two's time you want to start playing again.  If it's not, if it's just an expensive bass that will cost you a lot to replace if the urge takes you in a few years, then, so what?  That's a problem for then, not now, move it on, spend the money on the family and worry about buying a new bass when you actually need one.

Edited by Monkey Steve
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Machines said:

It depends if you see it merely as a change of weather, or total freedom from responsibilities and the rare opportunity to pretend time pressures do not exist. Sure you can do that in the UK but more escapism abroad.

When you put it like that i guess you are probably right for most people. Sometimes a holiday is just whats needed when things are a bit hectic and stressful.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

Interesting reading Andy....

I know from recent conversations that you currently have a lot on your plate....however when I read your initial post I was constantly adding "currently" to the points you were making. Like you, and many others who are contributing to this thread, I got to the point where making music meant little to me. However there were times when not having instruments around left a huge hole in my life - I find that playing a musical instrument is what satisfies the creative part of me - without this I feel "not whole". Sometimes a 15-20 minute "noodle" can be priceless for my soul.

I'm currently not gigging or playing with other musicians. I don't care...I often don't play for weeks at a time, it doesn't really matter...but when I do pick up an instrument it fulfils a part of me that very few other things do - maybe drawing/painting to some degree, perhaps walking the dog - but I believe that the thing that drives us as musicians is the creative outlet we get from it.

Yes, there are times, when our commitment to playing is low. I think this often runs parallel to the other shite that's going on in our lives. What I regularly fall back on is picking up a bass, plugging in and tuning out the rest of the world. Playing, for me, can be really cathartic - a place I escape to when the rest of the world is shite...

Personally, when I feel the way you are currently I too think about unloading everything I own. Fortunately, for me, the market is weak at the moment so it's unlikely that I'm going to get what I think my gear is worth - this puts the brakes on - now is NOT the time to sell. I also remember how I felt without my creative outlet, another reason to hold on to my gear.

Many of us here have an excess of gear - if you can unload some of it and use the proceeds to make other aspects of your better than by all means do that. What I wouldn't do though is be without a bass. Instruments, to me, are more than the sum of their parts. They aren't just bits of wood and metal - they are the thing that make me whole again and recharge my inner being - possibly not today, but one day, the thing that you may need to be "Andy" again.

As others have said, take some time off, free up some cash, concentrate on some of the other aspects of your life - but don't turn your back on what I know must have been one of your true loves - making music.

Hang in there...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I fully sympathise.

Whilst I don't have kids or any commitments as such,  I underwent some nasty eye surgery at the end of last year. Come 2018, I realised that the band I was in was bringing me down. So I quit. Thought that was it, didn't play bass more that a few minutes a week. Game over for a few months.

However, a new project came knocking, and I've ended up fulfilling some of the gigs with the old band (different drummer, so not as bad!)

Trouble is, the old band is finished (just a couple more to fulfil) and the new one hasn't really taken off as I'd hoped. Been very slow - only a couple of gigs so far. To make matters worse, whereas say, 8-10 years ago, there were loads of music opportunities around, nowadays the scene has just died. So you can't just jump into something else, which previously, was always so easy.

So, I downsized. I've got one bass, one cab, one amp (and a practice amp). All quality stuff, and the stuff I want.

If the gigs ramp up next year a bit, or if something else comes knocking, then I'm ready. If things stay as they are, then I'm equally fine with that. What I won't do, is play what I'm either unhappy with, or with people I don't want to. I'd rather give up than do it for the sake of it.

As has been said, I'd flog the peripheral stuff, but keep a bass. That's what I'd do if things stopped....put the bass under the bed, and sell the amps. It might help - how many players have got loads of stuff they don't actually need? 😀

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Now then, after a stiff brew and a wonderful 5 hours sleep...

I still feel the same, I have thought about the jazz mainly - I’d kick myself forever if that went, but it’s not being used at all.

My other two electric basses are worth more to me than they’ll ever be financially as I designed them as prototypes with the manufacturer.

The Guild is beautiful and if probably never find another.

The other gear, Amps etc I just don’t worry about. And all the bits and bobs...

I also saw a video last night which made me think, shift the jazz and guild - invest in a Wal mk1.

but I’d still have an expensive bass sat unused..,

From reading this in your position I think keep the two you helped design as prototypes, they`ll be irreplaceable, and keep the Jazz. Comments/sentiments like "kick yourself forever" show that bass really means something to you, and you may well come back to bass playing - like many of us on here who have taken breaks, keeping at least one bass is a wise idea, but given the design aspect of the other 2 I think they have to be kept as well as the Jazz.  

And taking a break, why not, I`ve been in that position, left music completely for about 4 or 5 years, didn`t play, go to see bands, or even buy any music, I just had no interest, like the spark had gone. But it came back, with some it never does, but don`t feel bad about wanting to take a break, nothing says we bassists have to be playing all the time, and buying and selling even more (well maybe some small print on Basschat does say the latter, lol).

Edited by Lozz196
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Timely thread, I'm feeling much the same - room full of lovely basses that I have no real urge to play, no real musical outlets for a couple of years, it's all feeling like a cargo cult to my earlier interest.

It pains me greatly to think that it's over, but after a couple of years it's starting to feel permanent.

Nowt much to add, really....just thanks for all the replies to AT's post, all good reading for me at the moment.

• Thanks 1

Just now, ahpook said:

Timely thread, I'm feeling much the same - room full of lovely basses that I have no real urge to play, no real musical outlets for a couple of years, it's all feeling like a cargo cult to my earlier interest.

It pains me greatly to think that it's over, but after a couple of years it's starting to feel permanent.

Nowt much to add, really....just thanks for all the replies to AT's post, all good reading for me at the moment.

Yeah. I’m trying to gauge enthusiasm within the local area for a get together/jam.

See if there’s anything left in the tank.

God it’s depressing 😂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Yeah. I’m trying to gauge enthusiasm within the local area for a get together/jam.

See if there’s anything left in the tank.

God it’s depressing 😂

Any musical buddies you could do a  hang-out-with-guitars-on-your-knees kind of thing ?

I don't know if you have recordings (or music on paper?) of your "noodlings".  But it might be worth picking up those in order - try the oldest/least listened to first - and seeing if there's anything there.  You might be surprised.

Either way, I'd definitely be getting rid of amps and cabs first (as others have said).

Edited by alyctes

There are times in life when there are just other priorities, I almost completely gave up playing in my early 30s, I effectively started again mid 40s. I just didn't want to do anything at all and there was way too many other things that I wanted to do.

Personally, if I was in your position, I would sell some of the expensive stuff and take that holiday. Keep a bass, stick it out of the way so you don't feel like you are missing out and go off and enjoy time with the kids while they are still nice human children. Some time later, the bass will still be there and for most people, there comes a time when the itch comes back again. 

• Like 2

Who knows when I'll have to drop out of the gigging band scene. When it happens it won't be my decision or choice. 

My enthusiasm for gigging and being in a band is the same as it was when I was 12 years old. Couldn't be higher. 

I'm not married, no family, and I don't work anymore. So no responsibilities.

I'll be tossed out due to the lack of gigging bands in my area and my age.

I fully realize I'm part of a very small minority.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 2

I’m the same (but a it earlier). I’ve got somewhere near £15k worth of gear, but at times it was up to around £40k. You can see the old pre cbs basses I sold. 

I have cleared it all out and only now have the 66 candy apple Jazz (that took me two years to buy) and a Paul Bryant double bass. The rest are all on their way out slowly.

I run a business and when I get home and have put the kids to bed I’m just shattered. Everyone I know has told me to wait a few years, so I’m planning to do that.

A hobby should be something to enjoy not feel guilty about. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AndyTravis said:

WhatsApp group of 22 friends/musos...

nobody is free, or is in the same boat.

maybe I’m just crap and a pain in the crack to work with.

That's a bit disappointing, but rattle their cages in a week or two, you never know.

In the meantime, get on with the stuff you do enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Seen you've just put a wanted ad up. 

Well besides clearly having great taste in looking for a Yammy BB :) does this also mean you've had a change of heart about selling up and chucking everything in then?! 

Maybe I’m having a “start all over again”

this time next week I’ll be clumsily fumbling through Blood Sugar Sex Magic and getting a pink Mohawk 

• Haha 2